fb

Confusion between two themes.

Forums Fiction Themes Confusion between two themes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

I’ve been writing this story, and I have the basic idea for the theme (structure your life around eternal things which cannot be taken away or destroyed) but I almost feel as if another theme is sort of growing in my story… along the lines of having a better relationship. And I don’t want to confuse my readers of what the theme is.

The protagonist is Aston, and he seems to care more about his books and other precious items that his older brother, Grimshaw, because he hates him. Why he hates him… well, Grimshaw just wasn’t a nice person, and was even more mean after Aston accidently burned down his mansion. Aston would rather have his older brother die than his precious (vain) items happen to get ruined! But Grimshaw is just one of the antagonists, not actually the villain…

So, guys, what are your thoughts about this?

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@andrew It’s possible that as you start writing this book, you may decide to run with a different theme than you first intended.

It is also quite possible to have two themes. The important thing is figuring out how they are connected (all themes are connected in some way). As long as your themes are connected, they will be cohesive and you shouldn’t have any problem with having more than one theme. Actually, 99% of books have more than one theme, it’s just most/a lot of them have one main theme.

(Btw, Josiah DeGraaf’s Theme Mastery course is exceptional if you want to study theme. I highly recommend it. )

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@daeus-lamb, thanks. That was helpful!

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.