fb

Concussion input

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Concussion input

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Libby
    @libby

@kari-karast So Kari, I just had two serious skull fractures, bleeding in the brain, and a bad concussion this July – maybe this will be helpful.  A lot like Story Joy, my head ached and it never seemed to get better.  It was like I had an eternal headache.  I didn’t black out – thankfully!!!!! – but as I was being driven to cell service (we were in the mountains) I went into shock where I couldn’t recognize people.  Funny story: I actually fought the paramedics and they had to sedate me three times to get me to stop! 😉 After I was out of the hospital, I didn’t want to eat anything.  My concentration level was so far down that I couldn’t even work on a puzzle for five minutes without lying back exhausted and sore.  One thing I do remember…I longed for sleep every minute of the day because then I wouldn’t be awake to feel the pain.  And that’s unusually for me because I love being awake.

Right after I fell (off the back bumper of a van.  Yeah, I know it’s really stupid, but I did it), my first reaction was oh.  Wow.  I didn’t think that would happen.  Then, tears coming down my cheeks, even though I didn’t feel much pain.  I couldn’t walk without being dizzy.  They had to carry me into the car.  Sitting up, lying down – they all made me want to throw up.  Which I eventually did twenty minutes later.  I wanted to deny the seriousness of the situation.  I didn’t want any help.  I hated having people around me trying to make me comfortable because they made me dizzy.

I would often contradict myself.  Oh!  I forgot!  One of the most important things is that I really wanted to go to sleep!  Bad idea, but I wanted to so bad.  Thankfully, my sister kept me awake by keeping me angry at her, but the drive into town was a blur.  After waking up in the hospital, I immediately remembered the fall, but I didn’t remember going into shock or much of the drive until a week later when some details suddenly appeared in my brain.

So, anything else?  Any questions?

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@libby

That’s great! Thanks! And I don’t think so.

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@libby WOW that sounds serious. :O

Yeah, @kari-karast Like Libby said, it’s the same for me; I wanted to deny the seriousness to the point where I easily convinced myself I was fine. And told everyone that I was fine. To the point where when my mom tells people about it, she says it didn’t slow me down at all but I was ready to swordfight the next day. Which I liked to believe was true, but it wasn’t. AT. ALL. Like I said it’s been 4 1/2 weeks, I still never feel like swordfighting, running, gymnastics, anything that I would usually love doing. And I *still* occasionally get headaches. *rubs temples* like right now.

When it happened I actually thought it was nothing, the ringing in my ears kinda concerned me but it went away or I ignored it, don’t know which. I continued swordfighting for another half hour because I didn’t want the kid who hit me to know (and consequently feel bad) that it hurt so bad, and I also didn’t want people to make a huge deal out of it or have their sympathy. However, I’m known among my friends for being an extremely vicious swordfighter, and after that happened I wasn’t. At all. Instead of fighting an opponent I’d just grab my sword and take some steps back, only fighting if need be. Suddenly the thought of conflict scared & exhausted me. (But yes, I kept doing it, don’t ask me why. I guess I really thought I was totally fine, though I did reach up to my head occasionally and feel the big goose-egg forming.)

On the way home, I was thoroughly exhausted and felt like crying the entire time. I went to a social event that night (my family knew about the accident but I quickly convinced them I was totally okay.) I just hid in a corner the entire event (whereas normally I’d be pretty much the life of the party.)
    Oh, and lights kind of hurt my eyes, I much preferred darkness (though I generally prefer darkness anyway sooo, not sure if that was a problem.)

I continued trying my best to study and be normal the next few days, spent the second day after it away from home the entire day socializing with friends (though at one point I wasn’t “socializing” so much as curling up into a ball on a chair wishing everyone would shut up.) After which I got home and proceeded to cry my heart out and that’s when my mom realized that I actually still had a headache from it – and she did some research the next morning and realized it was a concussion. And then I got to baby myself for the next week. Yaayyyyy me. XD

Speaking of, I’ve been studying for a really intense Bible competition for the past 6 months, but I had to take a full week off of studying to recover from my concussion. I literally couldn’t think clearly enough to do any sort of mind work and the headaches were horrible.

Sorry, I just remembered all that and thought this was a great excuse to go into total detail, something I’ve never done before because I’m afraid of all my friends getting incredibly bored. xDDDDDDD Hope at least some of it can help. XD

(Remember, at least according to what my mom knows/thinks, it was a mild concussion. So if it was worse… all I can say is your poor character. XD)

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

Yes. Definitely! I’m taking anything I can get! Also, you might want to think about using softer swords. My dad made some with… oh what was it? I don’t remember. Some sort of plastic tube that he put a pool noodle over and there was duck tape involved and stuff, but I sword fight with those, which are definitely kinda soft so it’s harder to get injured.

Also, @libby

I don’t know what happened, I probably got distracted, but, I also meant to tell you that I was sorry you got hurt and that hopefully you’re completely better now. And if you aren’t all the way better yet I hope you get fully healed up soon.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

@storyjoy

@Kari-Karast

I see we’re talking about swords. I’m interested

*Forum Signature here*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@thewirelessblade

Well, we were talking about concussions but now I kinda got it onto swords so… yeah.

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@kari-karast Good to know! *loves telling stories XD*

Yeah, the swords actually weren’t mine and we didn’t have any better ones at the time, soo… =P (also, soft swords aren’t nearly as satisfying to clang together!! XD XD) But yeah, thanks! And that’s great about the pool noodle. XD XD

@thewirelessblade
    Of course, what else would a conversation about concussions change to? XD

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

True. Out of curiosity, how often do you sword fight?

And yes. What else? XD.

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@kari-karast Whenever I’m in any place that has swords, which isn’t very often at all, sadly. =P xD

XDD

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

That’s great! Now if only you could come to my house and we could have an epic battle…

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@kari-karast That would be so awesome. XD XD

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

Totally. If only…

We could always have a word war or write a fight scene and see who’s won though.

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@kari-karast That would be SO FUN!!!

Maybe after this intense Bible competition is over. ;P It starts, um, this coming Monday *gulp* soooo I’m kinda pressed for time right now (obviously, not enough to keep me from writing up 10 detailed paragraphs of how I got my concussion, but anywayyysss….) XD After that, though, it’d be super fun! =D

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

Good luck with your competition! And I’ll look forward to our ‘duel’. We should write the fight scenes and post them on the Any Guys Out There chat. There’s already been 2 duels like that on there. XD. Both of them involving me. XD. Although @theinconceivable1 started the first one. Or on a different thread if you know of a better one. Or we could post them here and I could tell the people on the Any Guys Out There thread to come and vote on them here or something. (I’m more than slightly deranged right now so forgive my rambling.) And a word war would also be great!

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@selah-chelyah

I think this is what you wanted if I understood you correctly. So… here. I tagged you for the concussion thread I started. (Although it’s kinda moved on. Heh, heh.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest