fb

Concussion input

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Concussion input

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Here we go. I need help with concussions! I NEED to know how to describe them accurately! So… one of my Mcs, the one named Kari actually, if she’s in a fight and it’s possible for her to hurt her head she will hurt her head 90% of the time. SO. I need to know concussion symptoms please and thank you.

@storyjoy
    @anyone-else-who-can-help

"You can dance with my henchman."

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

Ok, sooo… xDD First of all, how bad is the concussion? Did the hit knock her out, or what?

*cartwheels out*

Kay
    @kay

Hello! @kari-karast So I have had a concussion, as well as my sister.  Mine was not very severe even though I blacked out and I don’t remember very much of it XD lol I mean I was younger so I don’t really remember after the fact like symptoms and such, I just remember the incident.  My sisters however was more recent and more severe.  Before I write you a couple long paragraphs what are you specifically wanting to know?

Keep looking up because hope belongs in Him.

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

^^^^ to @kay ‘s question about what you’re specifically wanting to know XD

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy @kay

Well… it happens a lot. (I know I’m so mean.) So the intensity of the concussion would vary. Sometimes yes. It would knock her out and sometimes it’d be rather minor. And she also has healing powers so it wouldn’t be very long term either. So if it was major then she’d be able to lower it down to medium or minor. Does that make sense? So I basically want to know whatever you can tell me because chances are I’ll be able to use most of it.

(Sorry if that’s too vague.)

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@kari-karast Oh, ok. 🙂

Well… let’s see. It’s been 4 1/2 weeks and I, the usually highly energetic/motivated person that I am, still never feel up to doing anything active like running/fighting etc. (Btw, my concussion was minor, I didn’t even black out.) And I had pretty much a nonstop throbbing headache for the first week and a half or so, and after that the headaches would just come every now and then usually when I was working my brain or doing active things.

I could generally still think logically though there were times I did question my sanity… xDD Some other side effects included extreme grumpiness/irritability and depression/unexplained crying. =PP Besides the un-motivatedness. As an example, if I’d been kidnapped right after it happened, I probably wouldn’t have had the energy to even try to escape (which is basically the exact opposite of what I’d be like normally.)

Like I said, I didn’t black out when it happened but I was kind of just dazed. The (hard heavy plastic) sword hit me in the side of my head and I actually didn’t feel the pain first. My thought process was something like this:

1) how did that happen, why didn’t I even try block it

2) uh oh, my ears are ringing. That’s not a good sign

3) ouch. ouch ouch ouch. my head hurts.
    And then I stood there just looking at the kid who hit me for like a full minute. (Thankfully, he was smart enough to not continue attacking. XD)

I also didn’t actually realize it was a concussion until three days after it happened. I just figured that the horrible headaches were, um… normal… until my mom freaked out when she heard it was still hurting, did some research, and realized it was a concussion. xD

Soooo yeah. That’s pretty must the jist of it. XD Hope this is helpful, and if you have any specific questions let me know!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by storyjoy. Reason: to further elborate on my story

*cartwheels out*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@storyjoy

Thanks! That’s definitely helpful. Although I question my sanity plenty and I’ve never gotten a concussion in my life. XD. So that’s probably a ‘normal’ writer thing. XD. And headaches being normal. Yeah… I might’ve felt the same way actually. I get headaches a lot. (Normally from reading or being on a screen too much. (-cough- reading on a screen -cough-)) Anyway… pain, unexplained mood swings, tiredness, headaches, and being dazed. -takes notes- And… got it! Thank you! This is certainly helpful. -glances at character Kari and grins- -character Kari’s eyes widen and she backs away into the shadows-

Kay
    @kay

Okay so…when I got my concussion I did black out for about 30 seconds. I also did not feel pain when I hit my head, and when I woke up I also did not what was going on.  I was confused because I was in a different position than before I hit my head.  (I was jumping on benches and slipped and hit the side of my head). My head hurt, I could not walk in a straight line, I could not see very well.  I was not supposed to do anything but walk. If I bent over or had my head in a position other than vertical my head would throb.  I also had a black eye.  I don’t know if I had problems with my memory after, but I do know my sister still has trouble remembering small things and it has been a year. She couldn’t do very much work at a time (like pretty much just use her brain kinda work) She got headaches and migraines, she also got dizzy spells. She also was agitated a lot.

Sorry that’s kinda a lot XD Hope that’s helpful @kari-karast

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@kay

Yes! Very helpful! -takes more notes- THANKS!

Kay
    @kay

Awesome! Glad to be of service! Also, if you need more, I can probably interrogate my sister if needed. XD (jk in a nice way ;p )

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@kay

I think that’s probably good for now. So just hold off on the interrogation for now. Although, knowing me, I’ll probably want some more in the future. But it can wait. Thanks again!

Kay
    @kay

@kari-karast

Ah shoot *puts fancy notepad and intimidating jacket away* Oh well… 😉

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@kay

Oh. Um. Well, if you really wanted to you can… although I don’t think your sister’d be too happy…

Kay
    @kay

*hides* that was me being sarcastic…

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@kay

Oh good. -sighs in relief-

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest