fb

Completely Useless Character Game

Forums Fiction Characters Completely Useless Character Game

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@chalice

I mean, for being completely useless, this actually looks quite fun.   (Don’t mind me, I just be over here stalking.  )

It’s very fun! It would be awesome if you feel like joining us!

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

1) Name: Gretta or Hannah

Both pretty, but her name is actually Isa.

2) Age: 17-20

She’s 22, you were close!

3) Career/Role in Story: She seems to be a maid or vintner’s daughter as she reaches for the cluster of grapes. Perhaps, she treads on the grapes in a winepress, but her injured foot might make that difficult for her.

She’s a farmer’s daughter, so you’re more or less correct!

4): Personality: Kind, soft-spoken, tender-hearted, thoughtful, dreamer.

Spot on!

5) Would you be friends with that character?: Yes, but I would bust the head of whoever injured her, and I’m sure she wouldn’t like that.

LOL, I don’t think she would. She was actually born with a deformed foot, so she isn’t technically injured.

6) Any other details you may have gotten from the picture: She is a hard worker and her soiled apron shows signs that she may work as a domestic.  Her chin is up and she appears to be almost lost in her own pleasant and hopeful thoughts. Her posture is confident, balanced, and self-assured.

Spot on!

7) What would this character’s nickname be? Gia or Hanae

Her name is so short she doesn’t actually have a nickname XD

8) Character’s greatest strength: Perceptive and thoughtful. Careful and considered.

Yep!

9) Character’s fatal flaw: Shy and timid.

She is quite shy, but she isn’t afraid to stand up for herself if she needs to. She does take a while to warm up to people.

10) Character’s favorite color(s): Burgundy, like a red wine.

Correct! I do think she likes pink as well.

(Oh, and she’s Faye’s eldest sister.)

(Sorry if this posts twice, it didn’t show up the first time)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@lonathecat

I would agree, considering I can’t think of any Celtic myths I’ve read. (Aside from King Arthur. Is that Celtic?)

Yes it is, though it originated in Britain during Medieval times I think. I wouldn’t know much about that particular legend.

Oh, I hope it doesn’t get thrown out, too! And lol I like making guys classic gentleman. It’s kind of a problem, to be honest. The other day when I asked one of my guy friends how he would respond if he were in my character’s position, he told me he would punch something and I immediately thought “NOOOOO TIS NOT GENTLEMANLY” XD.

I know right, its so annoying that most male characters are just – not – gents😖 Ya I think a lot of boys and men nowadays are under the impression that they don’t need to be gentlemen, its ridiculous 🙁

Oh goodness, I have no idea lol. I have certain songs that fit a scene or a character, but not one that fits the whole book. Do you have one?

I would be the same too, I have particular songs that fit scenes or characters, but I think a song that really fits my WIP as a whole is The Reason by Zayde Wolf 🙂

Brian Stansell

@lonathecat

Lona and Neasa,

May I respectfully and in a kind gentlemanly way intrude upon thy tête-à-tête?

Lona wrote:

The other day when I asked one of my guy friends how he would respond if he were in my character’s position, he told me he would punch something and I immediately thought “NOOOOO TIS NOT GENTLEMANLY” XD.

Neasa wrote:

I know right, its so annoying that most male characters are just – not – gents Ya I think a lot of boys and men nowadays are under the impression that they don’t need to be gentlemen, its ridiculous

There is another side to the behavioral patterns of modern men that I humbly offer, if I may since I am very proudly a member of that often vilified gender.

In this modern age, more than any other time in history, there is an upheaval and a shifting of general perceptions on what a male should be.  Lost are the true ideas of chivalry, where males were praised for physically defending the honor of a slighted female.
    Modern dictionaries merely state that chivalry is:
    “very polite, honest, and kind behaviour, especially by men towards women”

They often fail to include the term “valor” which is an outward and physical expression of male might.  The physicality aspect of males has been relegated to only sports activities and suborned from showing up in any other context of their lives.  Men are blamed entirely for the world’s ills, which they do share a part in (See Adam’s fall & 1 Corinthians 15:22, 43-58), but they cannot be entirely blamed for it, because both sinned, even though Adam (and all born of man) received the wider curse because of his awareness rather than deception.

[1Ti 2:14 NLT] And it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result.

Young boys are routinely reprimanded for natural expressions of their physical nature in instances that do not involve harming someone else.
    What I am saying is sometimes boys play rough as a natural expression of growing into manhood.  They used to be praised for these physical tests.  Think of bucks (deer, elk, moose) that lock antlers, or young rams that practice butting one another.  You can see that those things are put into them naturally by God, and no one things to condemn this.
    Did you know that males have the highest rates of suicide?
    Here is a short online video of what is happening, at least in the US to boys.
    I would love to hear what you both think about it.
    The War on Boys – https://youtu.be/OFpYj0E-yb4

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@obrian-of-the-surface-world Go you! 😀

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Brian Stansell

@lonathecat

Lona and Neasa,

Here also is another video on Masculinity and Chivalry:
    Make Men Masculine Again – https://youtu.be/U-kxdyJs6y8

Please tell me what you think. Don’t worry. I’m tough enough to hear it. 🙂

I was born in war.

Lona
    @lonathecat

Hi, Brain! Thanks for your comments! They were very interesting to me. 🙂

Before I respond to your comments, however, I would like to make clear what I meant by a gentleman. I did not mean a man who comes in to save a woman because she “cannot” fend for herself. I did not mean a man who uses physical violence to meet his goals, even if they are worthy goals. I said it lightheartedly earlier, but I meant it when I said I did not think punching people was gentlemanly. I am a firm pacifist, and do not see the point or need for violence in almost any situation.

I consider a man a gentleman when he is kind, honest, and values the needs of others. So, similar to your dictionary definition.

Now, to your comments. 🙂

In this modern age, more than any other time in history, there is an upheaval and a shifting of general perceptions on what a male should be.  Lost are the true ideas of chivalry, where males were praised for physically defending the honor of a slighted female.

Yes, I do think you are right here that these ideas have been lost. However, I do not think that they are necessarily the “true” ideas or ideas that can fit into this age in the first place.  I think  because of modern weapons, “physically defending a slighted female” can be anywhere from helping a girl who twisted her ankle across the street, to shooting someone who was trying to rob her. I don’t think we should be promoting aggressive ideas that lead men to think shooting someone just for the sake of saving a woman’s purse, let alone calling it valiant.

Men are blamed entirely for the world’s ills, which they do share a part in (See Adam’s fall & 1 Corinthians 15:22, 43-58), but they cannot be entirely blamed for it, because both sinned, even though Adam (and all born of man) received the wider curse because of his awareness rather than deception.

I would like to say that superlatives are dangerous words, and because of your word choice, I strongly disagree. More often than not, I hear women blamed for the fall, since Eve was the one who took the fruit. I also don’t understand how you are comparing degrees of curses. Although I’m not a mother, I think that preganacy and giving birth are quite a lot of pain. Additionally, if we’re taking the curses in Genesis literally, I think women are only slightly less affected by Adam’s curse: the hardening of the soil. Women make up 43% of the agricultural workforce in developing countries, and accordingly have to deal with the same hardships of farming that the remaining 57% men do. (Source )

Young boys are routinely reprimanded for natural expressions of their physical nature in instances that do not involve harming someone else.
    What I am saying is sometimes boys play rough as a natural expression of growing into manhood.

I agree, they tend to be reprimanded for aggression. However, I think like you said, this is a part of growing into manhood. If boys were not reprimanded for certain acts of aggression, what would happen?

There is a term in psychology called the foot-in-the-door phenomenon. Essentially, it means, that once given a little, a person will ask for even more. So, I can understand why banning games like dodgeball seems extreme, but maybe it’s simply to prevent boys’ aggression from growing even more. Maybe the thought is that we don’t want to have aggressive boys grow up to become men who beat their wives. After all, would that be natural manliness? I think part of this growing into manhood is learning where aggression is appropriate.

Did you know that males have the highest rates of suicide?

No, I did not. That puts a different light on things.

Again, thanks for your thoughts, Brian. It was interesting. 🙂

Brian Stansell

@lonathecat

Hi Lona,

I never advocate for violence against women, except in the rare cases of armed conflict in a war with a moral goal.

There are some points upon which we will have to disagree. I could never embrace full pacifism because I do believe there are some things worth fighting for.  God, Himself is not a pacifist.  There were times when He told Israel to completely annihilate certain enemies for God foresees the ends of all things.  (Numbers 24:34-35 is an example.) His Hands are the only ones that qualify to perfectly balance both Justice and Mercy without compromising either one.  The bowl judgments of God’s Wrath can never be reconciled with pacifism because to do so would be to deny justice.

I am most likely quite a bit older and have seen some of the outworkings of evil in the world, and I do believe some of them are due a harvest of the violence that they have dealt out.  I do believe that the punishment should fit the crime, and, as you said, a purse snatcher should not get a more violent response than is warranted.  God puts a high price on life, but also gives certain “men” and imperative to take the life of a murderer. (See Genesis 9:6)

[Gen 9:6 KJV] 6 Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Men are charged to protect women, even when they don’t think they need protection.  Despite what Marvel comics might indicate to the contrary, the impact of a woman’s blunt force punch rarely ever equals that of a man of her same age and general size.  Wonder Woman (The Amazon) is not real, and real women do suffer greatly when they act as if their bones cannot be broken.  See what is happening in some of the contact sports where men “masquerading as women” attempt to take advantage of that reality that they cannot compete with their own natural-born gender equivalents.

God clearly designed men to use their strength for both protection and to work in a more physical way to assist and benefit her.  My wife, though she is tough and a Body Pump Instructor at our local fitness club, could never lift the weight I can bare, or have the crushing grip strength that I have.  As God calls me to, I am to love her as Christ loved His Church with all my might and strength.
    To ever harm her is anathema to God’s charge and the vow I made to Him on her behalf.  My marriage covenant was made to God, and my wife is the beneficiary of that.
    I understand that many men are in rebellion to God and even break faith in their vows, because they erroneously believe they were made to their wife for “as long as she pleases me”.  These are stupid men, and I pity their spouses.
    But, if ever someone comes to harm or threaten the safety of my wife, or impugn her honor, or dares to humiliate her in my presence, I do reserve the right and gladly rise to the duty of kicking their posterior back into alignment with respectful decorum….so to speak. 🙂
    God too will avenge the harm that is done to His Bride as well, so mankind would do well to pay attention to the offering of His Mercy while they still have the expiring chance.
    Part of manhood is physically defending those who cannot compete with the physical might of an aggressor.  It has been proven that psychologically men need to be able to feel this purpose if ever needed.  It does not make them bullies. It makes them understand that chivalry is what they were physically designed for.  To borrow Stan Lee’s Spiderman quote: “With great power, comes great responsibility.”  (which reminds me very much of Luke 12:48B).

I was born in war.

Lona
    @lonathecat

Hi Brian,

Thanks again for your thoughts! However, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Hope you have a nice evening. 🙂

Brian Stansell

@lonathecat

Hi Lona,

I would like to clarify something that I did not unpack.

I also don’t understand how you are comparing degrees of curses. Although I’m not a mother, I think that preganacy and giving birth are quite a lot of pain. Additionally, if we’re taking the curses in Genesis literally, I think women are only slightly less affected by Adam’s curse: the hardening of the soil.

Many people miss the full import of what Adam’s curse actually was.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou [art], and unto dust shalt thou return. [Genesis 3:17-19 KJV]

What many fail to realize is Adam’s curse was “Death” (unto dust shalt thou return) and all born of human males will inherit this death.  Which is why the scripture says:
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. [1 Corinthians 15:22 KJV]

This is also why Mary had to be a Virgin so that Christ would not be born under the curse of Adam.  Every sickness, everything bringing death is because of Adam’s volitional choice to disobey God.  Also all enemies that arise to thwart his ability to work and make provision for himself and his family are also part of his curse.  All enemies to productivity arise because of Adam’s sin.  (This is the thorn and thistle curse expanded.) All of the entire earth’s ground is cursed and experiences cataclysm because of Adam’s sin.  All things under his dominion (Genesis 1:26) suffer because of him.  This is also why the book of Romans says:
    22 For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us. [Romans 8:22-23 NLT]

It awaits the restoration of mankind and the curse of Adam to be lifted completely.

Does that help unpack what I meant by Adam having the greater penalty for his sin?  The seed of woman (Messiah Jesus) crushed the head of the serpent (Satan).

I was born in war.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Hey y’all, loading pictures on here hasn’t been working for me.
    I’ll try using the laptop in a min  tho

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Brian Stansell

@emma-walker

Hi Emma,

The site has been acting a little weird today but has seemed to stabilize a little.  You might try it again.

Hope Ann mentioned in the Story Embers newsletter [Subject Line: Please attend the funeral for our website] that the site was having trouble.  I think it impacted the forms here too but try it once more.

I was born in war.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@obrian-of-the-surface-world yea I know, I was assuming that. But it sucks lol

Lona
    @lonathecat

Thanks for clarifying your meaning, Brian. I think I understand your perspective a little better now. 🙂

Chalice
    @chalice

@rose-colored-fancy @obrian-of-the-surface-world Thanks for welcoming me! I really should probably be more active here. 😛 But I’ve really been enjoying reading about your characters!

Well, if anyone wants to… here’s one of my characters that I’ve been working on developing. 🙂 (I had to put in in a Google Doc, because trying to upload it as an image wasn’t working, :P)

Link

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Brian Stansell

@chalice

Wow, Chalice! Very impressive work! I’m gonna have to think about this one and come back to you.
    Amazing life-like shading and expression.  Is this based on someone you know or just out of your mental vision of what your character might look like?  You have a great sense of light and dark shadow adding so much to the personality.  Looks like he’s been through tough scrapes, but is hopeful and optimistic.  The words “undaunted” and  “survivor” come to mind, but let me make that more official in my responses to the topic questions.

So very glad you are here and sharing these with us.

Have a very blessed day!

I was born in war.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest