fb

Completely Useless Character Game

Forums Fiction Characters Completely Useless Character Game

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 342 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@irishcelticredflowercrown

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@erynne

@lonathecat

@emma-walker

@sparrowhawke

(Tagging everyone since the posts only seem to show up in emails)

Heya, y’all, experiencing some technical difficulties, I’ll try to reply soon!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Brian Stansell

@irishcelticredflowercrown @erynne @lonathecat @emma-walker @sparrowhawke

Hi Rose,

I thought I was the only one missing some posts. That perhaps I did something wrong or offended the reviewers with something I said/wrote. (I tend to usually think, “Maybe it’s me.”)
    I hope you all know I value and pray for each of you. In fact…
    Dear Heavenly Father,
    I pray this morning for everyone named here. You know them perfectly and completely and have called them by name to use the gifts and talents You have invested in them. Lord, sweeten their time with You. Give them a hug in one of the myriad supernatural ways You express Your Agape to them.  Make Your Word come alive in their hearts as they read Your Love Letter to them this day.  Expand their horizons, Lord.  Speak Your Creativity into their need. Fill them to overflowing so that You can use that overflow to minister to the others You have placed in their circles of influence, Father. Bless them, today. Minister through them in their families and through their gifts as they yield them back to You. For it is in the Authority, Power, and Blessed Name of Yeshua, Jesus our Savior, Redeemer and Ransomer, that we ask these things. Amen.

“He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” [2 Corinthians 1:4 NLT]

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Brian Stansell

@erynne

@lonathecat

@emma-walker

@sparrowhawke

Hi Rose, I thought I was the only one missing some posts. That perhaps I did something wrong or offended the reviewers with something I said/wrote. (I tend to usually think, “Maybe it’s me.”) I hope you all know I value and pray for each of you. In fact… Dear Heavenly Father, I pray this morning for everyone named here. You know them perfectly and completely and have called them by name to use the gifts and talents You have invested in them. Lord, sweeten their time with You. Give them a hug in one of the myriad supernatural ways You express Your Agape to them. Make Your Word come alive in their hearts as they read Your Love Letter to them this day. Expand their horizons, Lord. Speak Your Creativity into their need. Fill them to overflowing so that You can use that overflow to minister to the others You have placed in their circles of influence, Father. Bless them, today. Minister through them in their families and through their gifts as they yield them back to You. For it is in the Authority, Power, and Blessed Name of Yeshua, Jesus our Savior, Redeemer and Ransomer, that we ask these things. Amen. “He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” [2 Corinthians 1:4 NLT]

I was born in war.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Okay, the posts seem to be showing up normally, so I’ll tell you all how close you were!

Brian:

Name: Nasrin, Dulcina, Humra, Rhodia, Varda, Wardah? (These are all floral-related names since the picture seems to indicate them prominently.)

Neasa:

Name: Delilah or Phoebe or Selene – any name that come from the Ancient World I think

I actually have another character named Nesrin! I included the poppies since I was doing a series with all my female characters with flowers that I thought suited them.

Her name is Liorah, a Hebrew name, so it’s kinda an ancient name! It does sound pretty close to all your guesses.

Brian:

2) Age: 18-23

Neasa:

You both guessed the same ages! You were kinda close, she’s 16 at the start of the first book, but she does look a bit older than she is.

Brian:

3) Career/Role in Story: Possibly the MC. She may sell flowers in the marketplace. I’m thinking of an open-air bazaar or some foreign (non-US) exotic marketplace. Possibly even on a remote tropical island.

Neasa:

Career/Role in Story: Supporting character and/or friend of the MC.

She’s the MC! She does live in a fantasy setting inspired by North Africa, so that’s kinda close!

Brian:

3 a) Faith: My sense is she is yearning to know the God who made the intricately designed flowers. Nothing in all human creation can ever seem to approximate such intricate beauty, design, vivid colors, and symmetry. Such aromatic fragrances, and gentle and soft petals, surely reflect a God of intimacy and tenderness. Perhaps, the prevailing religion of her world presents gods to her that does not seem capable of such careful beauty and personal wonder.

That’s a very cool backstory! Liorah is actually a believer, but her struggles include the fact that she’s kind of going through the motions and keeping Him at a distance because she believes that everyone will eventually leave her and that rejecting herself and not letting anyone get close might keep her from getting hurt. That also influences her faith.

Now, this is the point where it gets interesting XD

Brian:

4): Personality: I think she is a quiet, gentle spirit, fearful in many ways. Dreading who her father might give her away to as if she is nothing but mere coinage to curry favor with those in position or has something he truly wants, rather than her.  She believes she is nothing more than a mere asset, a token to barter with, and as such she feels very insecure and unloved. Looking at flowers, she yearns for a god who would so lovingly cherish her, even as He clearly cherished the flowers she admires and wishes she could be.  She seeks what she fails to find in her father. Someone who sees her personal value, not a means to an end.

Neasa:

Personality: She seems very gentle and understanding, someone who listens, and a big dreamer. She looks like her head is always up in the clouds. She’s also more concerned with other people’s problems than her own.

Liorah isn’t shy, gentle, or dreamy. She’s loud, very outspoken to the point of being rude, sarcastic, and occasionally abrasive. She keeps up a tough front to everyone and tries to convince herself that she’s invincible. She has a tendency to be impulsive and extremely reckless (to the point of being self-destructive) because she doesn’t believe anyone actually cares about her. (Except her older brother. They’re very close, but she’s also really dependant on him since he’s the only person she’ll actually allow close.)

She does have a soft, gentle side, but she only shows it to people who need her. (It’s really funny, every so often she’ll just adopt someone and be a total mom-friend XD) She’s very much a protector and she hates it when people try to protect her instead. She hates it when people see her as weak or helpless.

Brian, you were spot on when it comes to her family relationships, except it’s her mother and uncle since her father died sometime before the story. She’s also the princess of one of the tribes, so she’s kind of ignoring the fact that she’ll one day probably have an arranged marriage to secure a better political position. She’s still sour about it though XD

Brian:

5) Would you be friends with that character?: Yes. I want her to know that there is a God who made her every bit as lovely as any of the intricately designed flowers she admires. She was the value He sought so much that He paid the ultimate price to hold and cherish her, and will not part with her for anything else mankind might offer.

Neasa:

Would you be friends with that character?: Totally, though I think I would have to be the one to talk to her first because she’s super shy and timid. And I am also a daydreamer lol, so I think we would get along great.

Both great answers! I think she’d like both of you. Though, Neasa, I think she’d definitely start the conversation. XD She’s really extroverted.

Brian:

6) Any other details you may have gotten from the picture: I think she wishes and dreams a lot, but is fearful of dreaming too big. Afraid of the disappointment and rejection she expects to come.

Neasa:

Any other details you may have gotten from the picture: She’s rocking the colour red. I’m obsessed with that colour, red suits me best out of all the colours 🙂 And I love her crown of flowers. I’m guessing she’s from a magical land, she’s perhaps a wood nymph? I think her powers have got something to do with nature anyway.

She doesn’t have powers, but I think she’d like nature powers. Or maybe something more destructive, like fire or storm. *Imagines Liorah with fire powers* NoPE! Nope nope, bad idea XD

She does have a tendency to stifle her dreams and wishes, often with a cynically sarcastic remark to herself.

And yes, red is totally Liorah’s signature color. (I adore red too, it’s my absolute favorite. 😉

I picked poppies for Liorah because they’re really resilient and grow wild, and the bright color suits her 😉

Neasa:

What would this character’s nickname be? Why?: Probably Dreamer because of her daydreaming habits.

Her actual nickname is Li’ah, but only her brother calls her that, and they also refer to each other with every mild insult imaginable. (Because siblings, ya know XD)

Neasa:

Character’s greatest strength: People always underestimate her because they think she’s a bit of a feather head, but she’s actually very clever and resourceful.

That’s actually pretty accurate! People often estimate her as a spoiled, featherbrained princess, but she’s extremely determined and will stop at nothing to get what she wants.

Neasa:

Character’s fatal flaw: Daydreaming of course. And I feel like she would be the sort to be overly trusting, putting her faith in the wrong people.

Pretty close! She is pretty naive in the first book, and it gets her into trouble XD But I’d say her worst flaw is being too one-minded and reckless. If she once picks a goal, nothing will stop her and she’ll destroy anything to get to it, even things that are dear to her.

Y’all did pretty well, even if the picture didn’t actually represent her personality well! XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

That was not my strongest guessing game haha XD but I guess I didn’t do too bad hehe. Your character sounds so interesting. Liorah is really pretty, I love Hebrew names! Do you know what it means? My name means ‘expedition’ in hebrew, though it’s actually an Irish name lol.

And your picture is beautiful, really wonderful art. I just automatically equate flowers with people who are kind of soft – you bend that stereotype, good on you! 🙂

I submitted this art before, but it was deleted… So I’m putting it up again! Would love to see if anyone gets it right lol XD

Brian Stansell

@bclarke (Bronte)

I am adding Bronte to our fun here!

@rose-colored-fancy
    (Rose)

(Neasa)

@erynne
    (Erynne)

@lonathecat
    (Lona)

@emma-walker
    (Emma)

@sparrowhawke
    (Sparrowhawke)

@arindown
    (Gracie)

Bronte has some amazing art for her characters that I am sure you all will love!

Her WIP is fascinating and she has some very interesting characters.  Would love for her to join in this game.

Bronte is a teacher so the school term is just about up for the break, so it may be a few days or so before she joins.

—-

@erynne
    (Erynne) had the great idea to start this game (see 1st Post).  She titled it including the word “Useless”, but it is anything but that.  I think it is a brilliant idea and gets the creative juices flowing, both for the guessers and for the originators.

HOW IT WORKS:

Post a picture of any of your characters. Either one you or someone else has drawn or just a picture you found on Google that you decided should be your character.

Then someone else answers these questions (found below) about that character. That person has to completely guess the answers based on that characters appearance.

Then that person posts a picture of one of their characters and someone else answers the questions based on appearance and so on.

Am I making sense?

1) Name:

2) Age:

3) Career/Role in Story:

Possible Add: 3a) Faith stance of the Character:

4) Personality:

5) Would you be friends with that character?:

6) Any other details you may have gotten from the picture:

@lonathecat
    (Lona) added some good criteria as well on June 6, 2021 at 11:19 pm:

7) What would this character’s nickname be? Why? :

8) Character’s greatest strength:

9) Character’s fatal flaw:

10) Phrase that this character is likely to say:

I would like to add one more, if possible.

11) Character’s favorite color(s):

I was born in war.

Lona
    @lonathecat

Well I replied, but the internet went out, so I guess it never posted….dangit. XD

@erynne

Name: So, I think I see ‘Jen’ in the bottom corner and even if I don’t, I still say she looks like a Jenny. Before I thought I saw Jen, I was thinking Nia or something that starts with a N

That scribble at the bottom is my signature. You can ignore that. 🙂

Her name is Sawen, although I was considering Nia. I only ruled it out because I already have a different character named Nia lol.

Yeah…22, but close enough. 🙂

Career/Role in Story: she looks like she works/ lives in a village doing chores around a farm

Yep, spot on. Her father owns a small farm and she helped around the farm until she married her husband (a baker).

Personality: shy, quiet, and slightly independent. Definitely a people pleaser

Well, people pleaser and a little independent, yes, but she’s actually very bubbly and extroverted. XD

Would you be friends with that character?: I could I guess, but tbh, she probably wouldn’t want to be my friend XD

Are you kidding??? She’d love to be friend! You’re a great person and she’d have a lot of fun with you. 😀

Any other details you may have gotten from picture: she is a book lover and often runs off to her favorite hiding spot, the loft in the barn, to cry. She also apologizes way too much

Hadn’t thought of that, but yes crying in a barn loft sounds like something she would do. And, yes she likes books, although they’re harder to come by in her little village.

Character’s greatest strength: passion

Yep. And Selflessness.

Character’s fatal flaw: fear of everything but especially abandonment

Not really everything, but abandonment, yes. And Selflessness lol. Greatest strength is greatest weakness.

Phrase that this character is likely to say: ummmm “I don’t deserve this”

Yep.

Boom. Nailed that.

Indeed you did! So much for me trying to make things harder. 😛

Lona
    @lonathecat

I noticed you mentioned certain posts were not showing up, so forgive me if I had already replied to this, or if you had said a new different thing I’m not seeing. (Because I was almost certain that I had replied to this, but I guess not lol)

Wow walks can be so beneficial sometimes! I’ve found that it helps to clear my head sometimes and helps me to figure out stories too   Dreams too are an odd source of inspiration for me. I literally had a dream two days ago that I am half considering putting in my WIP, just because it’s such a dark but cool idea.

Ooh what’s the idea you had? (If you don’t mind sharing? 🙂 )

Oh good, yes so my main character is part human, part Fae and part something else   this will be one of the main reasons why she becomes rather ostracised by many others even though she’s basically one of the saviours. She’s a bit of everything

Nice! I like when authors do that sort of thing with different creatures/races. Adds a little tension and makes for a nice plot device.

(Ok, yeah I’m very certain now lol. I remember this conversation. Sorry again. I don’t know why I can’t see some posts anymore. 🙁  )

Erynne
    @erynne

(Erynne) had the great idea to start this game (see 1st Post).  She titled it including the word “Useless”, but it is anything but that.  I think it is a brilliant idea and gets the creative juices flowing, both for the guessers and for the originators.

Well thank you Brian! That is very kind!

@lonathecat

Yeah so you did post that and I actually responded but a ton if last weeks posts got deleted for some reason.

That scribble at the bottom is my signature. You can ignore that.

Yeahh… I kinda thought that but once Jen entered my mind, there was no turning back….

I really like Sawen though!

Yep, spot on. Her father owns a small farm and she helped around the farm until she married her husband (a baker).

Oh wow! I was hoping I got that part close because if not you would’ve had to change it to that because that’s exactly what she looks like her career would be.

Are you kidding??? She’d love to be friend! You’re a great person and she’d have a lot of fun with you.

You Story Embers people are too nice 😂 but thank you.

Hadn’t thought of that, but yes crying in a barn loft sounds like something she would do. And, yes she likes books, although they’re harder to come by in her little village.

Well now you have to put that in there. And also a fourteen year old horse trainer from a nearby village named Erynne has come to give her loads of books because she understands the pain of not having many.

Indeed you did! So much for me trying to make things harder

*bows repeatedly* thank you, thank you! Oh no, please that’s enough cheers! Thank you, you are all so kind! Please, I am not really that incredible am I? *gets hit in the face with tomato* yup…thought so.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Lona
    @lonathecat

Thank you for your prayer. It was a wonderful thing to wake up to, and I really appreciate it.

I hope you have an amazing day and that you are able to see God in all the little things of life – from the simple falling of a leaf to the kindness of a stranger at a WalMart. 🙂

@erynne

Yeah so you did post that and I actually responded but a ton if last weeks posts got deleted for some reason.

AH HA! My memory is not that terrible. XD

Yeahh… I kinda thought that but once Jen entered my mind, there was no turning back….

I really like Sawen though!

Lol I know the feeling. It’s very easy to fall down rabbit holes.

And I’m glad you like it!

You Story Embers people are too nice  but thank you.

You’re very welcome. 🙂

Well now you have to put that in there. And also a fourteen year old horse trainer from a nearby village named Erynne has come to give her loads of books because she understands the pain of not having many.

Oh, for sure. And she will carry one book that Erynne gave her wherever she goes, since it’s her favorite of all the books. And it will be called _*insert title of Erynne’s WIP*__ 😀

*bows repeatedly* thank you, thank you! Oh no, please that’s enough cheers! Thank you, you are all so kind! Please, I am not really that incredible am I? *gets hit in the face with tomato* yup…thought so.

*takes tomato from Erynne* *makes spaghetti* *throws spaghetti party*

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Heyo guys, sry I disappeared lol

idk if any of you guys are Star Wars fans, so this chara is completely optional. I just drew her the other day, she’s in my Star Wars fanfic, so again, y’all don’t have to do her.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Neasa

@lonathecat

Hello! Yes a lot of my posts disappeared including my reply to you, so I will write out my reply again, its no problem at all 🙂

Ooh what’s the idea you had? (If you don’t mind sharing?

Of course I’d love to share it! It’s a strange one… But I had a dream about a deadly machine where you put two people in and the machine decides which person deserves to live the most, depending on skills, strength and worth. Kind of like survival of the fittest.

And what was the idea you got, if you don’t mind me asking? 🙂

Nice! I like when authors do that sort of thing with different creatures/races. Adds a little tension and makes for a nice plot device.

Thanks! I think even though it feels overused, there’s always something unique you can pull with that trope lol

(Ok, yeah I’m very certain now lol. I remember this conversation. Sorry again. I don’t know why I can’t see some posts anymore.

Oh that’s totally fine, don’t worry. Some of the posts disappeared, it was some sort of bug 🙁 I think it happened to most people. It’s very annoying isn’t it!

Erynne
    @erynne

@obrian-of-the-surface-world @lonathecat

Oh my goodness, you guys are awesome. You had me laughing so hard 😂

And Lona, in honor of your spaghetti party, I ate spaghettios for lunch.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

That was not my strongest guessing game haha XD but I guess I didn’t do too bad hehe. Your character sounds so interesting. Liorah is really pretty, I love Hebrew names! Do you know what it means? My name means ‘expedition’ in hebrew, though it’s actually an Irish name lol.

Thank you! Her name means “Light upon me”, which did lead to a lot of dark/light symbolism throughout the story XD And your name is really pretty!

And your picture is beautiful, really wonderful art. I just automatically equate flowers with people who are kind of soft – you bend that stereotype, good on you!

Thank you so much 🙂 And yes, Liorah is totally tough and completely isn’t soft… *Sees Liorah ‘adopt’ someone every other chapter* Nope! Totally not soft XD

Okay, I’ll try to do yours now!

1) Name: Some kind of unusual fantasy name, I think… He kind of looks like a Maxon?

2) Age: Early to mid-twenties.

3) Career/Role in Story: Love interest or maybe a villain turned ally?

4) Personality: He seems confident, possibly arrogant. I think he’s kind of the anti-hero type, and he might have a really dark backstory.

5) Would you be friends with that character?: Maybe? He kinda intimidates me LOL

6) Any other details you may have gotten from the picture: He has a lot of facial scars and he seems to be wearing armor, so I assume he has combat experience. I also think his weapon of choice might be close-range. I don’t think he has any powers.

7) What would this character’s nickname be? Why?: Umm… I don’t think anyone would dare to give him a nickname XD

8) Character’s greatest strength: Probably determination and courage.

9) Character’s fatal flaw: I think he’s too closed off and has trouble forming relationships with other characters.

10) Phrase that this character is likely to say: (I honestly don’t have a clue XD)

11) Character’s favorite color(s): Probably darker colors, maybe gray?

This was so hard to guess XD I hope I got a couple right. How’d I do?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

And I’ll post another character. It isn’t my best drawing, (It’s very bland and kind of old), but I was trying a new technique. Anyway, guess away!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 342 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest