Completely Random Thread That Is To Continue The Any Guys Out There Thread…

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Completely Random Thread That Is To Continue The Any Guys Out There Thread…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 826 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Veraza Winterknight 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 827 total)
  • Author

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@kari-karast: But your DAGGER K!!!

@eden-anderson: “So, perhaps the question really is: Can we as humans, really be known at all? Can we truly know and can we truly be known?”

1.Are you hinting at postmodernism *raises an eyebrow* Yes, we can truly ‘know’ (depending on the definition of the word XD) but we may not be able to be certain if that’s what you mean. I think certainty is a quality only God possess (which may be what your trying to say ; D) But, I do believe strongly in absolute truth so, if you disagree with that, then let me know and we can debate it out : D!

2. Can we be truly known… him well, assuming you mean ‘can we be known with certainty’ then, yes, by God (obviously XD) but by each other no; I don’t think so. However, I have done a small amount of research into this topic and I’ve discovered a few things about personhood (which I’ll tie into our ‘knowing’ conversation ; D) materialistically speaking “what is a person” is a very debated and, in my opinion, answerless question. However, because we are Christians we recognise an added dimension to reality (aka spirit) I think we can, in fact, answer that question. A person is a being who possesses an eternal spirit (and if you believe dogs and stuff have spirits let me know and I’ll give you an essay I wrote on the subject : D) Thus, if possessing a spirit is the defining factor of a person than I think it follows that the answer to the question ‘who am I’ would be found in the spirit as well (and thus also the question ‘can I be known’) Now what I’m not sure of is if the spirit contains your character… some people believe that man is only man and soul (soul including mind and spirit and there’s a name for this position but I can’t remember it XD) while others believe man is body, soul, and spirit (Thus believed mind and spirit are separate, which, I assume, is the position you hold. (most people I meant do…) I also can’t remember the name for this one either XD it’s tri- something…) Now, if the mind is intertwined with ones spirit then yes, you can be known but it also means, should your mind ‘break’ so to speak then i think your soul would ‘break’ as well. On the other hand, should spirit be separated from mind then no, you can’t be known and also you can be changed. Your spirit would be a sort of untouchable essence only able to be influenced by God himself (thus, unless your a Calvinist, this position would be hard to hold as well.) So ya, if you have an answer to that question maybe we can get an answer to your original question XD *grins* that was fun!

(INTJ) ”Fear is to imagine a future without God in it.”

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@theinconceivable1

That I am.

But, well, my dad collected swords/daggers before I was born so… our cellar already has a bunch of daggers and swords in it.

(Plus I’m the oldest so… even if I did enter and actually somehow win I’d have to keep the dagger locked up anyways.)

Star Wars fanatic. Sword lover. Artist. Fantasy freak. ENFP. (and yes, that is actually me)

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@theinconceivale1

Wait…you are moving?!

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@k-a-grey: “nearly started a revolutionary war” *sputters* you mean did start a revolutionary war! (*sighs* ah, those were the good old days…) Wow, you’ve been around for a while! well then, I suppose I should get to know youuuu. “And now I shall leave before I get run over by this fast-paced, totally random thread.”*watches as she bolts out of the room* or not XD

E. Grace
    @emgc

@theinconceivable1

Ah, I’m sorry to hear that.  🙁 Sounds like a big change… Do you know where in the States you’ll be moving to?

"God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain." - C. S. Lewis

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@theinconceivable1

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I wasn’t talking about “know” as in knowledge persay, but “know” as in having a relationship with someone. Like the difference between knowing that the sun is yellow and knowing who your brother is-his beliefs, his ideals, his likes and dislikes, ect. Does this make any sense?

But no, I was not hinting at post- moderism and yes, I most certainly do believe in absolute truths.

To be honest, I wasn’t asking the question to get an answer, (I think I know where I stand on this) but rather just to think about it.

I believe that as humans we cannot fully know eachother…marriage is the most intimate type of relationship I can think of, and even though both partners may be very open and vulnerable, there is still not complete understanding and knowledge between them. Only with God can we be fully known and heaven is the only place that we will fully know God and others. In fact there is so much to learn of God’s amazingness and splendor when we get to heaven, that we will literally have forever to get to know God. Isn’t that so cool?!!

But I digress…😛

materialistically speaking “what is a person” is a very debated and, in my opinion, answerless question.

It isn’t answerless. People, or humans, (in the most simplistic explanation) are: beings made in the image of God. They have eternal souls, and have a choice in their spiritual destiny. (I am obviously not a Calvanist.😉)

I also believe that the answer to the question Who am I? is found in Christ. When our identity is placed in Christ and the power of his blood we can know who we are, why we are here, where we came from and where we are going.

and if you believe dogs and stuff have spirits let me know and I’ll give you an essay I wrote on the subject : D)

As much as I love animals, I am not comfortable saying that pets/animals here on earth will go to heaven. I know for certain that they don’t have souls. But I am not going to say they arn’t going to heaven because if God wants to, he easily could.

Now what I’m not sure of is if the spirit contains your character…

Yes, I would say your spirit contains your character. What is going to heaven when you die? Your spirit. And I believe that in the new earth we are gonna be us, just with a new body. Our spirits are who we are…these bodies are just cases.

Okay, so the last part of your speech (sorry, I am lacking a better term to call it…😛) kinda confused me. I am not entirely sure what you were trying to say…and also because when talking about the spirit things can get complicated. I’ll be honest and say that there are of lots of things I don’t understand.

I am just gonna say what I know about body, mind and spirit.

I think all three are connected. But when you die your body dissolves but your mind and spirit exist forever. I am not entirely sure how this all works, to be honest. I do know that there is a difference between your brain and your mind…so therefore if someone’s brain isn’t working right and they can’t communicate with us, doesn’t mean that their soul or mind isn’t functining. In fact I think that people who are stated to be “mentally unstable” or “brain dead” or something else, could be thinking about stuff that we have no idea that they are thinking.

I don’t know…a lot of this stuff I am still trying to figure out myself. 😛

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to correct me. 🙂

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Aghhhhhhhhh! 😱 Sorry that was so long!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@theinconceivable1 WHAAT?  You are moving baaaaack!?  Cool!

(Nice joke about skepticals.  I got it XD)

"In a mask, was he?"

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, yes, it does cost money. But it’s totally worth it! Plus, there is a pay-what-you-can-policy.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@emgc: “Do you know where in the States you’ll be moving to?” Ya, I think I’ll be going back to my home state in CO…

“Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I wasn’t talking about “know” as in knowledge persay, but “know” as in having a relationship with someone. Like the difference between knowing that the sun is yellow and knowing who your brother is-his beliefs, his ideals, his likes and dislikes, ect. Does this make any sense?” oh, hehe, sorry! now I get what your saying : D

“In fact there is so much to learn of God’s amazingness and splendor when we get to heaven, that we will literally have forever to get to know God. Isn’t that so cool?!!” *nodds thoughtfully* yes… yes it is.

“It isn’t answerless. People, or humans, (in the most simplistic explanation) are: beings made in the image of God. They have eternal souls, and have a choice in their spiritual destiny. (I am obviously not a Calvanist. )” well I was saying from a materialistic perspective but ya, I agree, as christians we can awnser that! However, quick question, do you belive ‘being made in the image of God’ is more then having spirit and if so, why? hehe, ya, thats a different debate for a different time ; D

“I also believe that the answer to the question Who am I? is found in Christ. When our identity is placed in Christ and the power of his blood we can know who we are, why we are here, where we came from and where we are going.” ok… so do you belife part of ‘who you are’ is your character and you unique personality or no? Cuz I would be inclined to believe thats there’s more to our identity then just ‘Christian’ and that the unique way God created each of us plays a very large role in awnsering the question ‘who am I’. Would you disagree?

” I know for certain that they don’t have souls.” *grins* I thoroughly agree ; D

Ok, first off, I agree with you, this stuff is really confuing XD But would you mind telling me how you” know that there is a difference between your brain and your mind…so therefore if someone’s brain isn’t working right and they can’t communicate with us, doesn’t mean that their soul or mind isn’t functining.” And, if you can, what that difference would be?

Thanks for talking about this with me BTW but if ou don’t really want to dont feel pressured to continue : D Also, don’t worry, thats not long XD (rember some of my debaitng posts with wordsmith on the original ‘any guys out there thread’? THOSE were long XD

@ashira: (I’m glad someone appreciates my humor XD) Any chance you live near CO?

@parker: well maybe if when I get a job I’ll consiter it! but right now, I’m broke XD

E. Grace
    @emgc

@theinconceivable1

Oh, cool!  I feel like I may have mentioned this before, but Colorado is actually where I live.  And wow, that sure is going to be a big change– going from the middle of summer to the middle of a frigid, snowy winter.  (It was -3° when I got up this morning… 😛 )

(Also, I think you meant to tag @eden-anderson about the debate…)

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@emgc: “I feel like I may have mentioned this before, but Colorado is actually where I live” ya we talked about it in the chess comments remember XD. Would you cair to meet up in person if it was possible? (I’m not sure myself which option I would choose if given the opportunity XD) Ya, its going to be cold… (but I’m really hoping there will be some snow *crosses his fingers* I REALLY miss snow!!!) Oh ya XD sorry eden!

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@theinconceivable1

Well, you should just come visit us then…we have like a TON of snow here right now! 😛 It snowed like three times without melting, and then snowed a bunch again all day yesterday. I LOVE snow, too! Did a lot of shoveling yesterday, lol!

E. Grace
    @emgc

@theinconceivable1

Oh, right.  Sorry.  (Sometimes I have trouble keeping track of what I said to what person…)  Anyways, that would be so cool!  I’d have to talk my parents about it though… not sure how they’d feel about me meeting up with some random guy I met on the internet.  XD

Well, *glances out window* there’s quite a bit of snow out right now.   I think their expecting more this week too…

@selah-chelyah

Wow, that’s even more than we got here. I think I’d say I love snow until I have to go shovel it off the driveway! XD  Where do you live?

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@emgc

In northern Idaho, paradise of mountanous beauty! 🙂 *winks*

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest