COLLABORATION

Forums Art Art Discussions COLLABORATION

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Hello my artsy friends.

If you have any interest in comic-making I have a proposition, that may or may not be a terrible idea.

(Continue with caution)

There are tons of reasons to put off a comic project, but I think the biggest is the time commitment.
    What if we did a comic collaboration? It would be a low-pressure way to get some experience, and depending on how many people participated it might not end up being such a huge time commitment because the work would get split up between us.

I don’t have everything all figured out in my head, but I was thinking we could aim for one comic page a week/four a month. Each week one of us would take a turn to make one page contributing to the storyline. (E.G First week, I do a page… Next person would make their page the next week, etc. We would not each make a page every week.)

If anyone has interest in this we’ll have some things to discuss, like possible plotlines for the comic, what kind of tone we want to shoot for, and if we want to be professional about it maybe even pitch some character designs for our protagonist.

It’s okay if no one has an interest in this, I just thought it sounded kind of fun. Doesn’t hurt to ask, right?

I’m tagging people who I think I’ve heard express interest in comics in the past, but this is an open door. Even if I didn’t tag you, consider yourself tagged!

(Or if there are any writers who would want to contribute to the writing/plotting aspects y’all are welcome too!)

@h-jones @april-j-rhys @lin @theclumsy_lamplighter @slisby @sarah-inkdragon

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

TheClumsy_Lamplighter
    @theclumsy_lamplighter

*GASP*

THIS. SOUNDS. AWESOME.

I'm a Book person, caramel (most often paired with chocolate) lover and illustrating is my destiny.

Lin
    @lin

@the-fledgling-artist *SCREAMS* I LOVE IT.

We could make some concept art, once we have the idea for the story. Figure out what kind of style we want to go for. Are we going to do it in one medium? We could even do it digital, one person could do the sketch, the other the lineart, the other the coloring. However if not everyone has digital art stuff, forget I said that haha. And maybe a page per person might be good practice too 🙂

And what genre would the story be in?

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Sarah Louise
    @slisby

*slides in*

@the-fledgling-artist okAY BUT REALLY I LOVE THIS IDEA. It would be awesome to be able to get experience in drawing comics and being able to collaborate with others would be super fun ^-^

Would each different page stay in the person’s own art style or would there be a group decision to decide on a style that fits everyone?

But anywho, as long as nothing super crazy in my life happens (*touches all the wood in my house*), I’m in!

"Not all who wander are lost.

...But I sure am." -doge

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@slisby @lin @theclumsy_lamplighter

Aaaah this is so exciting! I didn’t know if anyone would have any interest, but obviously, there is!

As for medium/style initially I was thinking each person would just do it with their own style, but if you guys want to we could try to change that up! It does sound really fun to mush our styles together for the comic and see what happens haha.  What do you guys think about the medium? Should we narrow it down to one for consistency, or just do whatever?
    There is a lot we’ll have to discuss, but this seems like a good place to start, but if you have any other thoughts please share! For this to work well, I think we need everyone to agree to be open with their opinions! (Of course please do so with grace as we might disagree on some things.)

Lin
    @lin

@the-fledgling-artist @slisby @theclumsy_lamplighter Yes! I’m so excited! I do think it would be fun to put our styles together! But I think this would only be possible with digital art and not everyone might be able to do that. So I’m fine with everyone doing it in their own style too. As for the medium I don’t have a prefence. The comic will probably look prettier if we decide on one for consistency but than again that depends on how serious you want to do this. We could also just do whatever everyone is best at or wants to do 🙂

If we decide on a certain style, that might be easier if we decide what genre the story is gonna be in.

Any ideas guys?

Grace
    @h-jones

Hey hey!

Okay, so before I jump in headfirst, I’ll have to do a little bit of thinking on whether or not I’m really capable at the time to dive into a project like this. But. I THINK THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT IDEA AND SUHFJKSDJKHDFKJNWDJKFNJWKDF Anna, you genius you 😀

It’s convenient that I checked SE right now because I actually have an idea…? Even if I don’t end up participating much. Feel free to reject it, but here’s the shebang:

Idk if any of y’all do Passover, but it’s a biblical feast usually kept by the Jews celebrating Israel’s Exodus from Egypt and, for believers in Jesus, our “exodus” from sin through His salvation. Ironically, a family friend of mine said that I should do a comic about Passover! So I thought I’d throw my idea out there.

Part 1 could be about someone during the time of escape from Egypt, Part 2 could be about someone who was around during the time of Jesus, and part 3 could be about someone in modern day who comes to be saved.

The genius title I came up with is… *drum roll please*

PASSOVER.

x’DD

EDIT: It just occurred to me that something along those lines may be outside of our comfort zone since I tend to do more fantasy/sci-fi type stuff and I feel like most of us kind of gravitate that way, but it’d certainly be an interesting experience?

@lin @slisby @theclumsy_lamplighter @the-fledgling-artist

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Grace.
      • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Grace.

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones
      Aww thanks girl!

please don’t feel bad if you can’t join us. While this won’t be nearly as much work as a solo comic, it’s still committing to a (probably) really long term project. If you’re gonna be working on your How to be A Super Hero comic, TWO COMICS AT ONCE IS A LOT.

I’m interested in what everyone else thinks about your idea. I think it sounds really cool! My only hesitation is that it actually sounds too good?? Maybe?? Something like that would have a lot more weight than, say, a lighthearted goofy lil storyline about who knows what.  I’m definitely okay with doing something a little more weight to it, but that’s just something to keep in mind.

Grace
      @h-jones

@the-fledgling-artist Ooooof, you’re so right xDDDD I didn’t think about that! Perhaps that is an idea we can save for a later time, then—because it also would be super, super fun to do something on the more lighthearted, funny side.

Perhaps talking animals could be involved in some way? X’D

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Sarah Louise
        @slisby

@h-jones I’m with @the-fledgling-artist on that one, really nice idea, but I kinda think we should try something a little lighter for a first attempt ^-^

@lin @theclumsy_lamplighter I love the kingdom adventure/fantasy genre… Fairly comfortable with that one but I’m not very good at drawing armor (if needed) or animals though so I’m always open to other ideas xD

...But I sure am." -doge

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@h-jones

AWW I’d love to do talking animals. x’D Maybe our protagonist should be human though since most of us are more comfortable w/ humans then w/ animals.

(AWW, what if there was a talking animal sidekick character?)

@slisby
        I’m pretty comfortable with something fantasy/adventure, but fantasy stories can blow up into huge epic storylines really easy, so we’d probably want to keep the plot on the simple side.

Lin
        @lin

@the-fledgling-artist I like that idea! But I agree with the other ones, it would be too big for a comic like that. I think your animal idea is great though! If you have any other ideas, please let us know!

@the-fledgling-artist @slisby

I’m fine with historical, fantasy, steampunk or sci-fi or even a story set in the here and now. However if we’re doing fantasy, I’d rather not write or draw something that involves magic. I’m fine with a setting in a fantasy world though! And an animal sidekick for a protagonist would be fun!

We could also play around with the setting! If we were to do some kind of kingdom fantasy stuff we could set it in a jungle instead of a forest, or think of unusual designs for the houses. I’m fine with good old fashioned European settings too 🙂

TheClumsy_Lamplighter
        @theclumsy_lamplighter

@lin @slisby @the-fledgling-artist @h-Jones sorry if I forgot someone…

i think the Passover idea is great!!!! But I also agree that maybe for a first time we should do something more random and if it works really well we can go back to that.

I also love the idea of a talking animal sidekick!

i love dystopian and sci-fi and fantasy but I’ll have to agree with Lin on staying away from the magic.

I also have an idea but feel free to ignore it, i think it’d be really cool to do a story from 5 different perspectives or however many people we have participating. we can divide the book into sections that way everybody can keep their style and their own medium. Like maybe slisby takes the male protagonist and then I’m his little sister and fledge is his best friend so on and so forth, but like with the gospels it’s the same story but told slightly different from different people’s Thoughts and distinguished by our styles.

the only problem with that is that my style isn’t fully developed…

anyway I hope everyone’s Easter is going fantastic! much love to all,

GraceAnna

I'm a Book person, caramel (most often paired with chocolate) lover and illustrating is my destiny.

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

@theclumsy_lamplighter

THAT IDEA

I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Then we could all create our own character, and, AAAaaah, that’s so smart! What does everyone else think?

It reminds me of that trope where a squad of characters is being questioned after their shanagins and their explanation/narrations of the event are hilariously different.

I actually feel the same way about magic. Personally, I don’t have problems with the idea of fantasy magic systems, but I think they need to be handled very carefully, and I would be super uncomfortable with magic that in any way resembles witchcraft. So I like to stay away from spells, enchantments, curses, wizards, and witches.

As for the genre, I honestly don’t really care. They all have so much potential. What if we all separately did some brainstorming and we can all come back and pitch our storylines. Then we can go through and pick what we like out of each one and see what happens?

Sarah Louise
        @slisby

@lin @theclumsy_lamplighter @the-fledgling-artist @h-jones

Ee, I kinda like the fantasy magic system but that’s okay! We totally don’t need it if you guys aren’t comfortable. ^-^ Also I’m open to the other genre ideas but SciFi a little less so? (Or maybe I could survive through it… kinda forgot about the space part for a second and I love space xD) I do like that idea of switching up the kingdom/fantasy setting though, Lin 😀

@Fledge @Lamplighter Okay we need to have that trope now, I love it XD And that idea sounds great!! I will say though that I find drawing guys a tad more difficult… Willing to give it a shot though 😀

Out of curiosity (we obviously don’t have to do this) but how would people feel about having a ‘chatroom’ of sorts like google-hangouts/skype/discord/whatever people are more comfortable with, to discuss this in and brainstorm together? I just feel like it’d be easier in a way for if/when we start working on this.. Just a thought.

...But I sure am." -doge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest