*Climbs out of Shardpool*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *Climbs out of Shardpool*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

Hello. I’m looking forward to to getting more feedback on the rough draft of my story and reading other peoples’ stories.

My current WIP is entitled The Dust Smugglers.  I got ‘INTJ’ as a result when I took a personality test, and believe it to be fairly accurate. Most of my POV characters are the same, because I tend to tap into my own experiences when creating characters.

My writing is heavily influenced by the works of C.S Lewis, J.R.R Tolkien, Andrew Peterson, K.M Weiland, E. Stephen Burnett and Brandon Sanderson.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Zachary Holbrook. Reason: I accidentally clicked the 'publish' button!

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@toklaham-veruzia Awesome list of authors. What does your signature say and what language is it in?

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

It’s Japanese, and translates to ‘Hello. I like Japanese.”

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Is your profile picture a lego person? I like you already.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@toklaham-veruzia Aha! I thought it might be. How’d you get interested in Japanese?

I was actually born in Japan, though I only lived there for four months. My dad can speak Japanese almost fluently, though he’s a bit rusty from being out of practice.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

I wanted to learn a language with an alphabet not based on Latin, and heard Japanese was easier than Chinese. Plus, I can watch anime with subtitles to practice. I’m also in a Spanish class, so I watch English movies dubbed into Spanish.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Ah, makes sense. It’s gotta be fun to draw those characters.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Violet
    @pookiemonster

Do happen to have any tips for leaning Japanese? My little sister is really into it, and trying to learn, but is having a bit of trouble.

Love the Lego guy by the way. 🙂

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@toklaham-veruzia 😀 Love the profile pic. Lifetime Lego Fan here.

Also, love the author list. Tolkien, Lewis, and Sanderson are some of my favorite authors of all time. Have you read the Stormlight Archive?

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

Grace T.
    @grace-tolkienista

I saw Shardpool and clicked the thread faster than Fleet. *waves to Sanderfans all and sundry*

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@grace-tolkienista *waves back* I think the pile of Embers here at Story Embers is a Shardpool. Although I know that makes no sense 😉

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@toklaham-veruzia As soon as I saw the name of this post, I knew you must be a Sanderson fan. 😉 Has Stephen Burnett written any novels? I’ve enjoyed many of his posts at Lorehaven but wasn’t aware of any novels he’s written yet, and didn’t know if you were just referring to his articles there or stories he’s written.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Oooh, I heard “anime”, now I’m really interested. Any favorites?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@toklaham-veruzia I approve of the authors. *nodnod* Very good taste.

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

@pookiemonster I’m teaching myself using a book called A Guide to Japanese Grammar by Tae Kim. I find it very informative, although I’m only a small fraction of the way through it. I would definitely recommend learning the hiragana and katakana before staring that book. You can download some free tracing sheets online to practice those. There’s also a free Japanese dictionary app called Shirabe Jisho that’s extremely useful. You can use it to look up any kanji in a few moments.

Other than that, I don’t have any specific tips. I’m advancing rather slowly because I’m just learning as a hobby that I sometimes do in my free time, but I enjoy learning different kanji and writing random sentences in Japanese in the dust on the back of my family’s car.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest