fb

Christian Movies

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Christian Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    claire
    @claire-h

@everybody

Wow, I’ve been busy so I haven’t been able to jump in! But I love this topic.

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Hey, you do too fit into this conversation! My family has a pretty high standard as well and it’s something I’ve always appreciated. We do watch some non-Christian movies though. Yes, I’ve have seen the Little Crew movies …so cute! 😆 And Beyond the Mask is my favorite too. Yes, I’ve seen both God’s Not Dead movies. They were ok, but sometimes I wish movies like that would get a little deeper than atheist vs Christian. Just my opinion.

Some other movies I’ve appreciated:

LOTR (of course 😉 )

I’m not sure if this fits into the “movie” category, but The Riot and the Dance nature documentaries are spectacular and God centered. Highly recommend.

The Greatest Showman -mainly its portrayal of family. And I LOVE musicals.

There’s a foreign movie I’ve seen (dubbed) called Storm. It’s about a boy living during the time of Martin Luther. The cinematography is amazing and the sets authentic. I really liked it. The only weird part was a kiss at the end involving two thirteen years old kids. Nope. Just no.

And The Sound of Music. As I’ve already said, I love musicals.

Those are just a few movies that I like elements of. There are more, but I’m not going to make a huge list. 😆

What elements do you guys look for in a Christian movie?

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

claire
    @claire-h

Ahhh, wait, I forgot Anne of Green Gables!!!! (the 1985 version) Absolutely my favorite movie to watch with my best friend. It’s just so adorable and hilarious. I love all the unique characters.

it just blooms.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@claire-h @katja-r @melodyjoy @arindown

YESS!! More people that have seen the Little Crew Movies! They are coming out with a new one btw! They’re still building the sets and stuff though.

I think I watched the sounds of music when I was really small. I have seen Anne of Green Gables too.

Elements I look for in Christian movies?

Truth number one. I like finding movies that deal with hard truth and cold reality, not touchy-feely stuff. I like the messages to be clear, not hidden somewhere under all the romance and other stuff. I like it when at least some of the characters are actually Christians, not just people that might pray occasionally or mention a vague ‘God’.

Sold souls and dead promises

@katja-r

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if you just wanted those you had tagged on here or not, so I thought I’d better check. 🙂

Ya, I wish there were more movies that challenged us to live more like Jesus, but I guess I’m just thankful for the ones we do have.

Yes, I do write music, though I’m just starting. I wrote my first one last July, and now I’ve written maybe seven or eight. I don’t know, I don’t count them or anything, Lol. 😉  I’m hoping to record them and maybe in the next year or so have my own album so others can be inspired like I was when I wrote them. I really love writing music, especially since I don’t feel pressured to write as much as I can or anything, so I sorta just write it when it comes. 🙂

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Katja R
    @katja-r

@olivia

Yeah, I just tagged some people so we could get a conversation started. Anyone can join this discussion!

That’s cool! My brother used to write a lot of music before he got so busy with his job. 😀 I like making songs up on my instruments but not actually composing or anything.

Well, I have to go, but it was nice chatting with you!

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@katja-r @beth20 I may not join this overall discussion very much but I’ve gotta say. . . you had me at “WWII movie that doesn’t portray the Japanese as cold, heartless villains”! I’m super interested now. . .

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

claire
    @claire-h

Yes, I completely agree with you. Sometimes to speak truth you can’t talk in generalities… And sometimes people don’t want to hear truth. But that shouldn’t stop Christian filmmakers from being clear and intentional.

it just blooms.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@naiya-dyani

Ok, so I wasn’t saying they weren’t bad. But that most movies don’t portray them like having a heart. Midway had a Japanese naval commander who willingly died on his ship. Just the fact that they showed them as having feelings too. And it was also cool how they followed this one Japanese dude when they went to the Japanese side. I don’t know if I’m making sense, but yeah.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@katja-r Yes! I love any story that acknowledges the fact that, even if someone is on the wrong side or is doing wrong things, they’re still a person. Stormtrooper effects–the faceless villain kind, not the misses-every-shot kind–leave a story far flatter than it could be.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@jessi-rae

Yeah, I thought I can Only Imagine was pretty good! I saw the Pilot episode for the Chosen but not any of the other episodes.

@middleearthmusician

Love your tag title! Yeah not sure if I’ve seen any Christopher Nolen movies. But my brother’s favorite movie is Inception! Which I’m pretty sure is a Christopher Nolen movie. lol

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Katja R
    @katja-r

@naiya-dyani

Yeah!!! Whenever I watch or read a book that portrays other countries as heartless I automatically have a lower regard for it before even finishing it. Now, yes, I do get that in some cases other countries were and are mean, but that doesn’t apply to everyone in every situation. I really appreciate movies and stories that actually show them having feelings and not just having everybody a horrible villain. I could go on and on about this topic but that was one thing I liked about this movie. 😀

Thanks for you comments!

-Katja

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@claire-h

I love the Greatest Showman! I’ve prob watched it about five times lol! I still need to see The Riot and the Dance!

@naiya-dyani

Yeah, Midway was a fantastic movie! There was some swearing so…not sure what your standards are lol!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

@katja-r

Ya, I like to doodle around on the piano, which is the instrument I play. I’ve tried the mandolin, but since I was just learning it on my own I found I didn’t have much motivation to learn the harder chords, and so I ended up quitting after a few years of playing. I still sometimes pick it up randomly, but I can’t play much on it with my lack of chords. Lol. 😉

So I decided to do my best at piano, since I love it and have played it since I was young. But at the beginning of this year when I started lessons again, I came upon a problem. I didn’t know what I would use my piano skills for, since I already played for church at that time. But lucky for me, I realized the difference a good teacher can make, so I decided to follow in the steps of my amazing piano teacher. If I stay motivated (and I’m sure I will since I want to go as far as I can with piano), I will be able to become a piano teacher for two programs called Music for Young Children and Royal Conservatory by the time I am graduated. So I have my first job planned out three years ahead. 😉 But I always have been one to plan things way in the future.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

*walks in late* Hi, ya’ll! XD Pretty cool how many of the best movies you guys have already mentioned. 🙂

@beth20

I agree, the Kendrick Bros movies are amazing. I’ve seen all of them except for part of Fireproof, and they only get better as they keep making them. Super awesome!

@middleearthmusician

Oh, I absolutely love Beyond the Mask. One of the best movies ever made- too bad it’s not more widely known! 🙂

@claire-h

Love The Greatest Showman and The Sound of Music!!

Has anyone seen One Night With the King, about Esther? That book and the sequel are even better than the movie- two of my fav books ever.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Katja R
    @katja-r

@selah-chelyah

Oh yes!! I forgot all about that one. Lol. One Night With the King was pretty awesome! I watched it so many times! It was one of my favorite Christian movies. There is a book about it? Well, besides the Bible? I’ll have to look it up sometime. Thanks for joining out discussion!

-Katja

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest