fb

Christian Movies

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Christian Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h @arindown @melodyjoy @beth20 @wolverinerm @emberynus-the-dragonslayer @theswordinthebook

Hey guys!

Recently some of us got onto the topic of Christian movies. We decided to start a discussion about them. On this page we would like to discuss movies that we’ve seen, how they help us, how they can help us with writing our characters, things they could have maybe done better, movie suggestions, movies that portrayed a character really well, etc. Please note that while you can suggest things to avoid we do not want this page to be a place where we are all complaining about movies. Also we want this page to be informative and helpful. So please don’t mention movies that would have inappropriate behavior. We may not all have the same standards so please respect each others beliefs. Also, feel free to tag anyone you think might be interested in this discussion.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Honestly, I don’t particularly enjoy Christian movies. There are a few Kendrick Bro movies that were pretty good. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Christian movies or non-Christian movies lol! I would rather watch something that’s action packed or fantasy. It just seems like a lot of Christian movies are really cringy and stuff but IDK.

As far as characters in movies that are really well portrayed and stuff.

Scott in Here Comes the Boom is a really good character. He basically puts himself in a hard predicament for the sake of his friend who’s wife is having a baby and he’s about to lose his job. Shows good friendship and selflessness!

Frodo and Sam in LOTR obviously but people have already mentioned them in the other post!

Will in Five Feet Apart. He risks his life to save Stella’s.

I’m sure I could think of a lot more but for some reason, I can’t lol! My brain! haha

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! πŸ˜‰ I love you guys!

Katja R
    @katja-r

@beth20

I understand that a lot of Christian movies are cringy and not very fun to watch. Some of us, or at least I’ll come out and say it, want to write movies. I absolutely HATE watching “Christian” movies that are not very helpful and not exciting. So I get what you are saying and I do not want to write movies that way. If you want to see the discussion we were having earlier about some of this you can see it here: https://storyembers.org/forums/topic/the-most-important-part-of-my-story-2/

I was watching some WWII movies recently, because I am writing a story that takes place in WWII. Something I really liked that they did is how they didn’t make the Japanese officials and commanders heartless. I feel like a lot of movies portray other countries as mean, cold, bloodthirsty and heartless. I really liked how they had the Japanese naval commander tell his soldiers to leave and willingly decided to die on his ship. I kinda cried during that scene. (although it isn’t too hard to get me to cry.) The movie is called Midway. Something I liked about the character Dave Best (I think that was his name) was his little chewing gum characteristic. That was something special to himself, he was also cocky and even though he didn’t show it all the time, he was just as nervous as everyone else. I have seen some really awesome WWII movies, and this one was pretty good.

Another movie I watched recently was Jumanji 2. I’m not a big fan of Jumanji, but something I liked that they did was how each character had their own weaknesses. Of course they were is a video game, but I think it’s super easy to have our characters be practically perfect. I liked that they thought about the weaknesses and each weakness had its own consequence. If they did something that included their weakness, they either died or had something else that was tragic. Like I said I’m not a huge fan of Jumanji, so I’d probably give more cons that pros on this movie.

Let me know your recently watched movie and your thoughts on it!

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@katja-rΒ  @beth20

Thanks for tagging me to this! I’m always up for helpful discussions. But to set the tone- I’ve basically never seen anything but Christian movies. I haven’t seen Lord of the Rings or Narnia. Or any of the other ones you all are talking about as far as non-christian.

I’ve always wanted to write movies too!!!! πŸ™‚

I’ve heard of the Kendrick brothers movies and always kinda wanted to watch them, but I want to be careful about what kind of things I watch. We’ve always been pretty strict about modesty and the like.

Has anybody here ever seen any of the God’s Not Dead movies? I haven’t seen the whole of any of them, just bits and pieces, and I wanted to know what you thought.

Two of my favorite movies are put out by Little Crew Studios. They are played by a bunch of siblings and are really funny and cute while still having clear Biblical messages in them.

Well. I’m probably not gonna fit in here, but πŸ˜† who cares!

Sold souls and dead promises

Katja R
    @katja-r

That’s so cool that you want to write movies!! There are a lot of people that want to here.

And even if you haven’t watched a lot of movies, I want this discussion to have examples of other characters, things to do and not to do. So even if you haven’t seen a lot of movies, you can still participate.

That’s really good that you do have standards like that though. We do have some restrictions on what we can watch but it doesn’t have to be only Christian movies.

I did watch one of the God’s Not Dead movies. It was pretty good. I watched it awhile ago, so I’d have to take a peek at it again to tell you about it, but it was cool.

Thanks for joining this conversation, even if you don’t have much to tell about. πŸ˜‰

-Katja

Mel
    @melodyjoy

That is very good that your family is strict on what kind of movies you watch. If everybody had good standards on movies, I doubt are world would be as “dark” as it is.

I have never seen the God’s not dead movies.

@beth20
    Β @katja-r

Yes, a lot of Christian movies are a cringy and some of the acting isn’t always good because they don’t have the kind of funds that big corporations do like Disney, for example. So some of them are not enjoyable at all.

I enjoy Kendrick Bros movies, except that the music (especially in the newer ones) isn’t the greatest. I like the character struggles in it. Because they are so real and applicable to life, if you know what I mean.

@beth20

You were saying how you like action packed movies over Christian ones. That is why I like the Narnia movies because they are definitely action packed but for sure you can relate to the allegory of Aslan being like Jesus (you could say). I also really enjoy Star Wars movies because haha the action NEVER stops in those but they don’t make me uncomfortable with language or anything else and I like how the Force is relatable to God. Unseen but very powerful. We discussed this in the link that Katja posted. πŸ˜€

-Melody

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

Just so you know, I’ve watched both Little Crew Studios movies, and I love them!😁 They’re adorable (especially Ike in Runner From Ravens-head).😊

My parents are really careful (especially with modesty and things like that) with the movies we watch. I would highly recommend the Kendrick brother’s movies. They are very, very clean, and deal with real-life struggles from a Christian point-of-view. Beyond The Mask from Burns Family Studios is also really clean and good, with some action.

I have seen two of God’s Not Dead, and I enjoyed them. What other movies have you seen that you liked?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@katja-r

I loved Midway! It was really good! And yeah I liked how they didn’t make the Japanese so heartless and stuff too!

I liked Jumanji 2 also! I liked how in the end the grandpa wasn’t all gloom and doom about his age anymore!

One of the saddest movies I have ever watched is Five Feet Apart. My dad was crying lol! I didn’t cry but I almost was haha! (though just a note, look it up on Plugged In or Commonsense before watching it bc it has some stuff in it that depending on your standards you might not want to watch! haha) But it was really good!

We recently watched Back to the Future, which was pretty good. It was made in the 80s so it wasn’t all really good special effects and stuff lol! A good thing about it, the main boy helps his friend to basically find confidence and stuff to stand up to a bully.

I have seen the God’s Not Dead movies, which were pretty good. I have also seen the movies with the little kids! We used to watch Runners from Ravenshead when I and my siblings were younger so it’s nostalgic lol! Oh, and the Kendrick Bros movies are perfectly fine! No swearing no inappropriateness nothing lol!

@meldoyjoy

Yeah, I like both the Narnia and the Star Wars movies! Though the last couple of Star Wars movies weren’t that good lol! Did you watch the BBC or the other Narnia movies? I have seen the BBC but don’t like them that much haha!

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Crap I didn’t do your tag right sorry! @melodyjoy

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@arindown

Yeah, Beyond the Mask was pretty good! I honestly don’t remember it that well but I liked it when I watched it haha!

Oh, and I put your name under my quote so people know that you did the artwork for my profile pic!

@katja-r

*walks in timidly* Can I join?

One movie I’ve seen that really impacted my life was The Apostle Paul. It was, of course, about the life of Paul, and it was when he was being held prisoner in Rome at the end of his life. One thing about it was that there were some gruesome parts of people being killed, (though there weren’t like details or anything), and it was quite suspenseful!

But after I watched it, I was in my bed room just thinking of all the things God used Paul to accomplish, and I just sat there praying that God would use me in some way, whether big or small. I actually ended up writing a song about me asking God to use me and lead me, and I love it soooooo much!

But the movie was definitely very life-changing.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Katja R
    @katja-r

@olivia

Welcome and yes you can join!

I think I may have seen that movie, although I’m not really sure. I’m glad it was a challenge to you.

That’s cool! You write music?

I love those movies that challenge and change the way people think. We definitely need more of those.

Feel free to share any other thoughts!

-Katja

Mem
    @middleearthmusician

Beyond the Mask is my favorite Christian movie!!! Also, I Can Only Imagine was very good, as was the most recent Kendrick Brother’s film, Overcomer.Β Those three movies weren’t cheesy, and had good character development and good actors. (Plus the soundtracks for all three were excellent. XD)

I’ve seen people mention LotR, Star Wars, Narnia-all epic and glorious films.

My personal favorite movie director is Christopher Nolan-he directs films in such a unique way and as a amateur filmmaker I really respect his storytelling, character portrayal and development, angles, music, and his casting. Not /all/ of his films are family friendly so I do give a note of caution, but a few of his were clean and they’re all epic.

how rare and beautiful it is to even exist

Jessi Rae
    @jessi-rae

Hey! I’d like to join this conversation. πŸ˜€ Some of my favorite Christian movies have already been mentioned here (Beyond the Mask, I Can Only Imagine, most movies by the Kendrick Brothers (I say most because I haven’t yet seen Overcomer), and the God’s Not Dead movies (the second was my favorite)). I also love I’m Not Ashamed and the TV series The Chosen created by Dallas Jenkins. And of course The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia movies are on my favorites list!

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

Katja R
    @katja-r

@middleearthmusician

Oh, when you said I Can Only ImagineΒ  it reminded me of my grandma. The night she died, we all knew she had minutes left and we played the song I Can Only Imagine in the hospital and at her funeral. Sorry, when you said that it just reminded me of her.

Everyone keeps talking about Beyond the Mask and so I was finally able to watch a little of it before I ran out of my free time. I was a little confused at the beginning because I didn’t think they had those weapons in the East Indian Company time period, but I think I’m starting to understand it. I got to the part after he preaches his first message and when he’s talking with that girl. (I don’t remember her name.) The movie seemed interesting.

Thanks for your comments!

-Katja

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Katja R.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest