fb

Cheesehead makes an entrance

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Cheesehead makes an entrance

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

**waving hi**

Hi all!

My name is Trudi, I live in Wisconsin and write nonfiction freelance for a living after being a therapist for 7 years as my second career. This site came to me through a contact in one of my writing jobs (counterculturemom.com). With only a slight perusal, I knew this would give me the kick in the backside necessary to dive into fiction. I love fiction. I was the nerd growing up in the 80’s who spent summers in the library.  I still read voraciously but now it’s time for me to write. For real. For public consumption.

…and I’m scared. Why? OH who KNOWS!!!?? There’s no rational reason for it. Hence the attraction of SE.

As I’m exploring the forums I am noticing how fresh and young everyone is! At the risk of sounding trite, it is so wonderful to see so many young writers wanting to share Jesus through stories, but I’m wondering if I’m in the right place. Can a middle-aged fiction-writing nube join in the fun?

Other than reading, I’m a late-blooming gamer…console, PC, tabletop, you name it. It’s my husband’s fault. And I sew.

With that, I’m thrilled to learn from everything posted on this site and I salute every single one of you for shining the light in the darkness. Write on!

Ella
    @writergirl101

@shiningscribe

Hi Trudi!  I’m Ella.  I just joined SE a couple of days ago!😊

It doesn’t matter how old anyone is–we’re all here to write, right?😁

Btw, I saw on your profile that you love Ted Dekker books.  So do I!  I have only read a few.  (One, now that I think about it, haha!  It’s kind of hard to come by his books at my library.)  I read his book, Three–it creeped me out sooo much!😂  But I love his engaging style.  What are some that you’d recommend?

Anyway, what kinds of things do you sew?  I’ve made a couple of masks recently, and I sometimes sew pillowcases.  At a camp, I made a drawstring bag that turned out pretty well, thankfully!😅  It took forever…

So, you’re writing fiction and non-fiction, or did I misunderstand?  Which genres of fiction, and which topics in nonfiction?  I enjoy thriller/suspense, dystopian, fantasy, speculative, and pretty much everything else, if I’m in the mood for it. 😉

Well, I’m so glad word is spreading!  I’ve sent the link to a couple of friends who I think might really love this.  So glad you joined!

-Ella

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Ella.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@shiningscribe

Hello! Nice to meet you Trudi!

Does fun have an age on it? You’re totally welcome to jump into any of the conversions, or games, or whatever you’d like.

What’s the most intimidating part of fantasy to you? I think part of the wonder of fantasy is that anything can happen. There’s no limits.

Also…don’t be shy about offering advice to us budding contemporary fiction writers. One of the best things about Story Embers is how everyone gives, and everyone benefits.

What are some of your favorite books?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@shiningscribe You’re totally welcome here! 😀 It’s true there are a lot of youngins on here (including me lol), but there are definitely some older. *cups hands around mouth* @DEEPRUN COME HITHER!

*grins mischievously*

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

@writergirl101

Hi Ella! Thanks for the warm welcome:)

I think I’ve read everything Ted Dekker has written. Three is among his suspense collection, but I would highly recommend the Heaven trilogy and the Outlaw Chronicles. I don’t often reread books, but these I do. The Heaven trilogy made a significant impact on me when I was getting to know Christianity again. I grew up Catholic and went through some decades of rejecting God/self-destructive before getting to Jesus again. Same with the Outlaw Chronicles. If you like fantasy, the Circle books are pretty amazing. I didn’t get them at first, but…on a second read it hit me. Good stuff.

As for sewing…I just started about two years ago and now I’m sewing face masks in military camo colors lol. That happened on accident. I like to sew bags, some clothes, pillow covers, and other random stuff, but I do embroidery for patches. My husband is an army vet so we do a lot of military insignia and other fun stuff. Some of it is on my etsy shop… tenshimadeshop.etsy.com – but it’s a hobby turned surprise business…

Writing? I’ve not delved into fiction yet. I want to. I write mental health blogs, academic papers, and general articles…and journaling of course. Those genres you mentioned are the kinds I love to read! As for what kind of fiction I’ll write? I’m leaning towards general fiction and figuring out a way to do real life superhero stuff…does that count as fantasy? Maybe sci-fi?

I’m excited to learn from y’all on here, this will be AWESOME!

ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

@arindown

Thank you for the reassurance that age doesn’t matter so much. In fact, I’ve found that I have more fun now than I did when I was younger.

I think the most intimidating part of fantasy is creating an entire world from scratch in a believable way. As a Lord of the Rings fan, the complexity and depth of that universe is mind-boggling! The other intimidating factor is creating something unique…there is so much already out there that I fear “stealing” without realizing it.

As for favorite books, I read so much, it’s hard to choose. But there are only a few that I’ve read more than once, so I guess those count as favorites. As I mentioned above, Ted Dekker’s Circle series, the Outlaw Chronicles, and the Paradise series are fantastic. Shaunti Feldhaun’s Veritas really had my melon going too. And C.S. Lewis Screwtape Letters…I can noodle that for hours…

I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to read and comment and encourage and support and promote! I’m the content editor for Counter Culture Mom, so I’m delighted to promote positive Christian literature any way I can!

Thank you, thank you for the welcome!

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Welcome, Trudi!!

It’s true that there are a lot of young peeps on here lol! I think I’m the youngest though lol, I’m 13!

You can certainly join in the fun! I hope to read some of your stuff! So if you ever post any of it tag me, please!

Oh and @elizabeth is 21 I think!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@shiningscribe

Well…that’s a wonderful thought. I’m in my teens, so having more fun as I get older sounds fantastic. I feel like too many grown-ups forget that it’s possible.😊

Yes, world-building is a challenge (thankfully I’ve got a sister who did most of the work for me). One of the things I’ve been learning lately is how it doesn’t really matter what you write, it’s more how you write it. C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia, for example, doesn’t have a ton of new inventions to it (he didn’t make up dwarves, or centaurs, or witches) but he wrote it in a new and refreshing way…and it’s a classic.

I haven’t read any Ted Dekker (I suppose I will as I get older), but I’ve heard of him. And of course, I love C.S. Lewis.

I’m so glad you joined SE! It’s been fun getting to know you.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Eitan
    @eitan

@shiningscribe

Hello and welcome!!:D

How is Wisconsin? What’s interesting about it? How is the weather right now?  It’s always interesting to hear about new places 🙂

there is so much already out there that I fear “stealing” without realizing it.

love worldbuilding! If you fear you’re not ”creative enough”, just steal a few different ideas and combine them. Fairy tales and a world war! Mythical heroes and science fiction! Steampunk and ancient Mesopotamia!

Hmm, what do therapists do?

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

@beth20

13!!!! amazing! I love that you’re starting the writing young! My brain explodes with the possibilities for you…let’s make a deal. I’ll write and tag you if you do the same 🙂

ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

@arindown

I have a confession to make…I’m having far more fun in my forties than I have in my whole life. I remember my teen years as full of conflict – while I know I had some fun, now I don’t have parental expectations to meet, worry about friend judgment or what I’m going to do with my life. Those are all good things that build character, but now my husband and I buy each other action figures just because we can. And game nights? oh yea…lol. So…this is one adult who encourages the other adults in her life to play because too many people are way too serious and stressed out which makes them grumpy and no fun. Plus their kids end up feeling like they can’t play and that’s no good either. I could rant about this for awhile…all that to say, YES! much fun ahead!

ShiningScribe
    @shiningscribe

@eitan

Wisconsin…hmmm….mostly known for outdoor activities, beer, cheese, and bratwurst…oh yes, and Packers football. I only get into the outdoors, cheese and bratwurst. My husband (who grew up in Texas) describes Green Bay as a place caught in the 80’s…it’s pretty blue-collar up here and family-oriented. I love the green and the water. I grew up in a small town on Lake Michigan and my favorite thing to do was sit on the beach, watch the waves, and journal. I like that it’s affordable to live here lol and we get four seasons. Right now we’ve finally hit “summer” so it gets up to the mid 80’s during the day and much cooler at night. That won’t last long though.

I noticed in your intro that you’re in Israel – which is awesome and amazing because in one of my jobs I work with several folks from there. Fascinating and inspiring country!

I heart your idea of combining ideas to build worlds!!! You’ve got my brain gearing up now…

As for therapists…sometimes I wonder what they really do too…I have thoughts about mental health and those who provide treatment, but that’s another post. I provided counseling to people with mental health issues, addiction issues, and trauma…most of the time I worked with people who had a combo of all three. I worked with an adolescent drug court for awhile and towards the end I was working with a lot of young people and families. When my own family situation changed drastically I couldn’t do it anymore which coincided with my theory that if more people had more Jesus, there might be less mental health problems…that’s the short version:)

Have you written examples of your world-fusions? I’d love to read some:)

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@shiningscribe

Awesome! Will do!!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Eitan
    @eitan

@shiningscribe

Sounds amazing! And cold…

Our summer is hot. You can measure it with a thermometer, or by the doneness of the meat you put on the car’s hood 😉 Around 4 PM a cool wind starts to blow and the heat is much more bearable.

Fascinating and inspiring country!

Thank you very much!

The USA is also great and inspiring country. Not many countries based their constitution on Christianity, after all. And you’re our best friends! 🙂

I heart your idea of combining ideas to build worlds!!! You’ve got my brain gearing up now…

Glad I helped you!

if more people had more Jesus, there might be less mental health problems

So true. It’s amazing for me to see the differences between the Christian and secular worlds.

Have you written examples of your world-fusions? I’d love to read some:)

Hmm, I gave you just a few examples I invented at the moment, but let’s develop it – but tomorrow, I go to sleep soon 😉

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest