fb

Character Playlists

Forums Fiction Characters Character Playlists

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

Hi everyone,

I don’t know if this has already been made as a topic, but I didn’t feel like searching that hard XD.  Anyway, I’ve been doing this for some of my characters and I thought it was pretty fun.  And since I really like hearing about other people’s characters, I’m making it a sort of game. What you do: Just post a list of songs that you think go really well with your characters and certain scenes in your story.  I think of it kind of like if your story had a soundtrack and different characters had theme songs.  I’ll post mine below to give an example.

I’ll tag some random people to get started: @calidris @emily-waldorf @erynne @mayacat @katie02 @emma-walker @kylie-wingfeather

This is perhaps the greatest risk any of us will ever take: to be seen as we truly are.

Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

Here’s mine.  (It’s about some kids who go to this secret academy, just so it makes sense.)

First year at the academy: To The Sky by Owl City

First impression arriving at the academy: Homeland from Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron

All five friends causing trouble at a school event and dying laughing: La Polka Militaire from Cinderella 2015

Aubrey’s dad dies: Ecce Novum by Ola Gjeilo

Certain character taken prisoner: The Great Secret from Cinderella 2015

Seeing a certain character’s belongs after they’ve died: Waltz of Chihiro from Spirited Away

Graduation: Courage and Kindness from Cinderella 2015

“End credits” for the last book: Embers by Owl City

Aubrey: Confident (clean version) by Demi Lovato, Go the Distance from Hercules, Gift of a Friend by Demi Lovato

Will: Count on Me by Bruno Mars, Vanilla Twilight by Owl City

Sing: Shooting Star by Owl City, Gift of a Friend by Demi Lovato

Regina: Wings by Cimorelli, Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi

Anthony: Starships (clean version) by Nicki Minaj

This is perhaps the greatest risk any of us will ever take: to be seen as we truly are.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

I don’t have playlists for characters, but I do have writing music! Mostly I do music that has drive so that if I’m stuck I can listen to it. my favorites are

Ghost Riders in the Sky (The Orchard Enterprises)

Let it Go/Vivaldi’s Winter (the Piano Guys)

Flight of the Silverbird and Dragon Rider (Two Steps from Hell–a horrible name, I know!)

Battle for Camelot (Tartalo Music)

Raining Tacos (and assorted other songs by Perry Gripp)

If I’m feeling soulful I will do

Intermezzo (Mascagni)

Chaconne in f minor (Pachelbel)

My new favorites are from a group called Clamavi de Profundis–they have a renaissance style, and some of their music is really pretty.

thanks for tagging me!

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Mayacat
    @mayacat

Ooh, this is a wonderful topic! And perfect because I’ve been wanting to share some songs I think work really well with certain characters/scenes and the opportunity has just presented itself :D.

I know most of the scenes prolly won’t make much sense without context, but it’s fun to see anyways.

Tamaa and Felix’s return from Rose’s pov: Welcome Home, Son by Radical Face

Aster’s themes (antagonist a.): Happy Death Day by Xdinary Heroes, Arms Tonite, and Burning Pile by Mother Mother, Twisted by Missio, and As the World Caves In by Matt Maltese

Tamaa and Felix singing in Ancient Valerian in an empty cathedral during the Living Game: Isabella’s Lullaby by Takahiro Obata

Rose and Zico’s theme: Sweet Creature by Harry Styles

Tamaa’s themes: Soldier, Poet, King by the Oh Hellos, Someone’s Someone by Monsta X, and This Side of Paradise by Coyote Theory

Jangji’s decline after his best friend’s death: A Sadness Runs Through Him by The Hoosiers, Achilles Come Down by Gang of Youths, and The Darker the Weather//The Better the Man by Missio

Venus’ theme: This is Home by Cavetown

Felix’s ghost themes: Atlas: Touch and Saturn by Sleeping at Last

I think I’ll start with those so I don’t get burnt out immediately lol

Thanks for tagging me, this looks like it’ll be a wonderful thread :D.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Mayacat.

I do not write the story... the Universe writes the story and I am simply its messenger.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@gbfruitbat I like the idea of characters and scenes having their own music, but I don’t have any playlists or any ideas for songs for them, I just don’t usually do that.
    I don’t even listen to music as I write, because I can get easily distracted! XD

Also @erynne, you could add this to the list in the CUCG topic: Characters theme song.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Emma Walker.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

@emily-waldorf That’s cool!  And I love the Piano Guys!  I’ll also check out that group you mentioned.

@mayacat
    yeah mine probably don’t make much sense either XD.  I’ll try to listen to all your songs though.  I’m happy someone else does it too!!

@emma-walker
    yeah I get distracted by music really easily too.  Have you tried out mynoise.net?  I’ve done it for schoolwork but I want to try it for writing since I bet it could really get you in the zone for the scene you’re at.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@gbfruitbat

Ooh, this is such a cool idea! Also, you have great taste in music, the Spirit soundtrack and Owl City are 10/10.

Umm, lemme see… I’m going to have to limit myself to a couple songs as all my characters have long playlists XD

Liorah- Problem Child by Simple Plan, Eight by Sleeping at Last, and Something Wild by Lindsey Stirling.

Gavril- One by Sleeping at Last, Carry you by Fleurie, and Noble Blood by Tommee Profitt.

Aydin- The Gardener by Sarah Sparks, God only Knows by For King and Country, and Wolf Bite by Owl City.

Ferran- Always Gold by Radical Face, Oh My Dear by Tenth Avenue North, and If The World Falls To Pieces by Young Summer.

Chantara- Natural by Imagine Dragons, Trouble by Valerie Broussard, and Heart of Stone by Britt Nicole.

Faye- Scarborough Fair by Simon& Garfunkel,  Soldier, Poet, King by the Oh Hellos, and Woodland by The Paper Kites.

That was… probably more than you were counting on but it’s one of my favorite things to do with characters XD

I’m going to tag some more people who might have fun with this…

@mamaauthoress
    @denali-christianson @noah-cochran @this-is-not-an-alien

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@gbfruitbat I haven’t but I’ll check it out.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Bethany
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

YAY FOR A FELLOW SARAH SPARKS, OH HELLOS, AND PAPER KITES FAN!!!

(If you like them, you should totally give The Arcadian Wild a listen.)

And I recently wrote a short story based on Carry You.

@gbfruitbat

I tend to focus more on story playlists rather than character playlists, but here are some songs that could go with my characters:

Torsten: “Soap” by The Oh Hellos (this works really, really well for him and it makes me SO happy)

Malar: “My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark” by Fall Out Boy, “Let It Die” by STARSET (Don’t ask why this fantasy character has rock theme songs–he just does)

Isaac: “Heathens/Trees” by Twenty One Pilots, “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas

"Can't have dirty garbage."

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@gbfruitbat if you do try the group, start either with The Last Goodbye, or The Song of Durin.

Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

@rose-colored-fancy

Yay I’m glad to find another person who likes that music!

@sparrowhawke
    I’ll try to listen to yours too!  You could put your story playlist here as well!

@emily-waldorf
    those are from The Hobbit right??? Heeeheeee

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@gbfruitbat

Someone likes Demi Lovato. 🙂

I’m gonna be honest, this is not at all down my alley. I love listening to music while writing, but I don’t really pick out songs for characters. My sister on the other hands has enitre playlists for her characters and spends about as much time gathering music as writing (that might be a minor exaggeration). xD

If it’s an upbeat scene that I might listen to Victory or Flight of the Silverbird by Two Steps from Hell (orchestra epicness).

Most of the time I listen to whatever, like, literally whatever. But some of my favorites are: The Call by Regina Spector, The Last Goodbye, Song of Durin, Evenstar, and The Sound of Silence.

@rose-colored-fancy

Chantara- Natural by Imagine Dragons

Oh wow. If a character is defined by a song like that, then I’ve gotta read it.

@emily-waldorf

+1 million votes for the Song of Durin 

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@gbfruitbat

The Last Goodbye is (apparently) from the Hobbit movie end credits. The Song of Durin is sung by Gimli in Moria in the Fellowship of the Ring (book). Clamavi de Profundis does an original composition of it.

@noah-cochran

That’s what I say! Do you like any of their other ones? Also, you listen to the Flight of the Silverbird too???!! Have you heard their Dragon Rider?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Oh wow. If a character is defined by a song like that, then I’ve gotta read it.

That’s an awesome compliment 🙂 She’s the main villain of the second book, and my absolute favorite villain I’ve ever written.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Grace Benham
    @gbfruitbat

@noah-cochran

Hey I really like The Call and Evenstar too!  And actually I do like some of Demi Lovato’s songs but mostly it’s just that they fit with my characters XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest