fb

Character Personalities…..

Forums Fiction Characters Character Personalities…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

Hey, @everyone!

Has anyone ever used the 16Personalities test for their MC`s? Or all their characters? I did so a couple of days ago with several of my main characters and it was exceedingly helpful! Just wondered if anyone else had tried it, or wanted to try it…  Love that personality test! :_

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I have! I take the test for all of my significant characters (which is… most of them) when I fill out a character sheet for them or sometimes earlier. The MC of my NaNoWriMo novel is an INFJ. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@r-m-archer  Cool! That is awesome. I found it to be very helpful, even just to be able to think more from my MC`s POV. :_

~ Created to create ~

Anonymous

Wow! I’ve never tried this! Great idea @selah-chelyah! The MC of my current short story in an ISTJ-A.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@millennium-m  Cool! I thought it was neat how my MC`s all took on different aspects of my own personalities. :_

~ Created to create ~

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@selah-chelyah

I do use the 16personalities test on my characters, and I love personality types and enneagrams and all that, but in the area of characters I tend to be a little more reserved when it comes to instantly slapping a type on them. For one, I like to develop my characters at least halfway before actually typing them, because I think that if I typed them straight off, I would end up incorporating a bunch of stereotypes or OOC actions in my characters because I’m trying to fit them into the little box of that “type”. Secondly, because I myself am a contradictory and paradoxical person compared to my type, so I like to develop my characters and let them become human to me before typing them.

Regardless of that, I love typing my characters(and my friends XD) when I’m writing something. 😉

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@selah-chelyah  I have (because duh, you already told me) but my MC is kind of both ENFJ and INFP. 😛

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

valtmy
    @valtmy

@selah-chelyah

I do sometimes create characters with typings in mind, especially the main ones (the MC of my current WIP is an ESFJ and I have another that is an ENTJ/ESTJ). But I agree with @sarah-inkdragon that characters should be developed at least a little on their own first before having a typing slapped on them. After all, even people within the same typings have their differences. Most of the time, I use typologies to ensure that there are variances in the personalities and mindsets of my characters because otherwise they tend to sound like me. 😛

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@sarah-inkdragon  @valtmy  Cool! That is great! I totally agree with both of you… I never used it until I had the bright idea after I had written them in my book quite a bit and decided on their general personalities and roles. This is something that just plotters should use, perhaps. Good thoughts!

@ashira
       You are awesome!! 🙂

~ Created to create ~

His Bard
    @his-bard

I have used that test, yes. And enneagrams and all that as well.

But I actually discovered (just recently) that the test has a tendency to be inaccurate. Its accurate for my own self, cause I know everything about me. But a character who only exists in my head? I’ve ended up with multiple mistypes over answering a question wrong.

I’ve gotten more accurate results studying the individual cognitive functions.
    https://www.careerplanner.com/8CognitiveFunctions/Cognitive-Functions-Simply-Explained.cfm

There is a chart with all the 16 types and the cognitive functions associated with each.

But its worth noting that even this can be misleading.

For example, I have a character who has a very strong Extroverted Sensing. But he didn’t fit with the type description for ESTP or ESFP.

He’s actually ISTP, with Extroverted Sensing as his secondary function.

Also, there are certain Ixxx types that can appear to be extroverted, and Exxx types that can come across as introverted, all because of their particular cognitive function combination.

MBTI, enneagrams, cognitive functions, and all that has become a new major interest of mine, so if anyone is interested in delving deeper, shoot me a message and I’d be glad to discuss what I’ve learned.

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

His Bard
    @his-bard

@selah-chelyah I do use the 16personalities test on my characters, and I love personality types and enneagrams and all that, but in the area of characters I tend to be a little more reserved when it comes to instantly slapping a type on them. For one, I like to develop my characters at least halfway before actually typing them, because I think that if I typed them straight off, I would end up incorporating a bunch of stereotypes or OOC actions in my characters because I’m trying to fit them into the little box of that “type”. Secondly, because I myself am a contradictory and paradoxical person compared to my type, so I like to develop my characters and let them become human to me before typing them. Regardless of that, I love typing my characters(and my friends XD) when I’m writing something.

@sarah-inkdragon
    You’re definitely on the right track, halfway developing characters before typing them. I’ve found many of my characters naturally take on distinct personality traits all on their own, all but labeling themselves without my help.

If you are a contradictory and paradoxical person compared to your type, I’m curious, have you considered the possibility you could maybe be mistyped? I thought for years that I was INFJ, only to eventually conclude I had mistyped. I’m actually INTJ.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by His Bard.

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@his-bard

I have considered being mistyped(I was originally typed as an INTP, which I know I am not now that I’ve done some research and been around several INTPs), but I doubt I am. I think it has to do more with my nature–I’m generally blunt and straightforward as many INTJs are, but more scatterbrained and out of the box thinking than most generally assume an INTJ would be like. It’s probably because of my artistic side, to be honest. But what I was speaking of above about being paradoxical and contradictory was more about the fact that a person shouldn’t decide to do something because they are a type–they should be “typed” because of what they decide more like. So even though I’m an INTJ, the type that is usually assumed to have no emotions other than sarcasm and an analytical nature, I still cry during sad movies.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there are things outside of our personality type that make us who we are beyond whatever the stereotypes say we should be like. That’s why I like to develop my characters before typing them, because I feel I can more accurately type them when I actually know who they are.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

His Bard
    @his-bard

lol, I guess you maybe are slightly more in touch with your emotions than me. My natural self is pretty close to the stereotype. XD

beyond that, few movies have even gotten my eyes to water. Oh well…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.