fb

Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 913 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

@zee

Idk if you would or not, but if you’re wanting an exchange, I’d totally be up for that! I can sketch it or do it digitally, and I can do cartoon or semi-realistic. Just let me know! 🙂

"There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
    -Bob Ross

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Thank you! Hmm.. Yes and no. She might be the main character from the Victorian fantasy, or she might turn out not to XD I actually don’t know. The aesthetic matches the Victorian fantasy, but I don’t know if I’ll use her specifically. I just had a really vivid idea and had to draw it XD

Ah, yes! Sometimes an idea comes that’s so vivid but you just don’t know where it fits but you have to get it out XD.

I usually kinda eyeball it until it looks right and flip my canvas about fifty-thousand times. Also, the coil method was super helpful and kind of mindblowing. It’s a YouTube video by Sycra, and it’s the coolest thing!

Lol ikr! I’ve never heard of the coil method before I’ll have to look it up it sounds awesome!

I’m pretty excited to write it, but I want to finish Liorah’s trilogy first. No, I still don’t have a series name XD, though I have all the books temporarily titled. I’m going with an ‘X of Y and Z’ pattern, since I kind of like titles like that. So far I have: “The Tribe of Sand and Azure” and “The Assassins of Mountains and Moonlight”. For the third one, I’m thinking about something like “The Queen of Blood and Thunder” or maybe “The Crowns of Blood and Thunder”. I’m not sure yet XD The titles aren’t final yet, what do you think? Does Ehud and Rosy’s story have a title yet?

I love those title ideas they definitely sound like books I’d pick up and read! I like “The Crowns of Blood and Thunder” title over “The Queen of Blood and Thunder” but I think they both sound so good.
    Ehud and Rosy’s story is probably “Beyond All Borders” but you just never know for sure what the title will be until it’s finished XD, and I have to consult @rusted-knight with that since he’d my co-author 🙂

It’s so awesome that you’re writing fantasies set in other times and places! I’d love to read a 1920’s fantasy, that sounds epic!

Thank you! It was my brother’s idea and I am rather bored with the same old medieval era fantasy-setting (although any setting made unique is really cool to read about even if it’s medieval!)

Here’s the final picture

I actually love how the colors came out. I’m using a new technique, different from the one I used for Rosy. I have a tendency to overblend stuff, so I changed it a bit. It gives pretty nice colors. And color dodge, of course! (I’ve been watching too much Ross Draws, XD but it does look awesome! It kind of makes it look like it’s glowing, and it works especially well for hair.!

Lol I am the queen of overblending XD. He has so much dimension with those colors! Especially the cloths and the hair!

Sorry I took so long replying I kept meaning to and forgetting XD. Anyway here’s a non-colored (still scared of coloring lol) sketch of Ehud

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

I love those title ideas they definitely sound like books I’d pick up and read! I like “The Crowns of Blood and Thunder” title over “The Queen of Blood and Thunder” but I think they both sound so good.

Thank you so much! I wasn’t entirely sure of the first couple of titles, but I think I might stick with them. Yeah, I like the Crowns one better too! Especially since it’s more relevant to the story since there are actually two kingdoms that are important.

Ehud and Rosy’s story is probably “Beyond All Borders” but you just never know for sure what the title will be until it’s finished XD, and I have to consult rusted-knight with that since he’d my co-author

Ohh, that’s cool! I love that title!

Lol I am the queen of overblending XD. He has so much dimension with those colors! Especially the cloths and the hair!

Thank you so much, I’m glad you like it!

Sorry I took so long replying I kept meaning to and forgetting XD. Anyway here’s a non-colored (still scared of coloring lol) sketch of Ehud

No matter! I do that too XD I love the sketches of Ehud! He looks so lively and adorable! Honestly, Ehud is one of those characters I’d just like to hug XD

He and Rosy are some of the most vibrant characters I’ve read in a really long time! You did an awesome job on designing them, they feel so real and awesome!

I just started rewriting Liorah’s first book. I’m entirely rewriting most of it since it was my first writing attempt ever and I had no idea what I was doing XD I have so many filler scenes XD I managed to cut the first five chapters to fit in three, slightly longer, chapters. It’s kind of a lot of work XD

Have you started writing Ehud and Rosy’s story?

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Oh, almost forgot!

Anyway here’s a non-colored (still scared of coloring lol) sketch of Ehud

Don’t be scared! The worst that can happen is that you don’t like the result and you just stop. I used to be scared of drawing male characters, but I actually really like it now. Even if you don’t like the first attempt, it’ll always get better!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Zee
    @zee

@erynne, here’s Queen Emery…she was fun to do! I hope you like her. I can easily change anything about the coloring if it doesn’t suit.

Erynne
    @erynne

@zee, thank you! She looks great! I love the detail on her dress😍

If you do King Hudson, would it be alright if I send you a sketch I did of him?

-Bob Ross

Zee
    @zee

Glad you like it, @erynne! My cartoon style doesn’t work for everyone, but I think for fantasy/Medieval-style characters, it can be kind of fun. If you want to share a sketch of the king, that would be great!

Erynne
    @erynne

@zee

Ok great! Yeah, all of my characters are that style. I love the way the cartoon style looks! And it’s so fun to mess around with because there’s some stuff you can do with it that you can’t with realistic (like the large, pretty eyes)

So here’s the sketch, I hope you’re able to see it. Sorry about the weird lighting. Have fun with Hudson!

-Bob Ross

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ohh, that’s cool! I love that title!

Thanks!

No matter! I do that too XD I love the sketches of Ehud! He looks so lively and adorable! Honestly, Ehud is one of those characters I’d just like to hug XD

Thank you! IKR! He is just such a huggable character

He and Rosy are some of the most vibrant characters I’ve read in a really long time! You did an awesome job on designing them, they feel so real and awesome!

Well, I’m not sure I really designed them they just sorta fell out of my head. I think Ehud is my inner child and Rosario is the walls I put up to protect myself (and Alessio from the first character castle is my anxiety/depression) and mostly writing about them is my safe place to try and accept myself or learn how to change things in me that aren’t healthy and learning to tell the different.
    I think the only reason they’re so vibrant is I make a conscious effort to not filter myself or think what a guy or girl “should” or “shouldn’t” be like, I mean both of them break a lot of “gender stereotypes” and stuff. I know it’s really helped me, especially seeing how everybody loves these characters even tho they shatter just about every preconceived notion I’ve had about how I shouldn’t act. So…that’s helped me be more comfortable with myself.
    I expect Liorah is you learning to become more assertive as you grow and losing to idea of how a “good girl” is supposed to behave. She’s probably a lot of the things you wouldn’t dare say in real life and might even cut off in your thoughts but you still feel it. It’s a healthy development and it’s tough to find out what’s independence and what’s fear of never being independent *(mind shifts to a particular character in one WIP that is…man she and Liorah would either get along great or tear each other’s hair out lol)*. Anyway-! To end that info-dump 😀

I just started rewriting Liorah’s first book. I’m entirely rewriting most of it since it was my first writing attempt ever and I had no idea what I was doing XD I have so many filler scenes XD I managed to cut the first five chapters to fit in three, slightly longer, chapters. It’s kind of a lot of work XD Have you started writing Ehud and Rosy’s story?

Ooh, yea! The vomit draft lol! I’ve only got one book that’s past the first draft, I hate writing the first draft I have to shut off my self-edit mode and it’s like “UGH I know I’m gonna delete/rewrite 99% of this I’m wasting time!!!”, but it’s, yea, really *sigh* important. I’m on like my fourth or fifth draft of my WIP and I think I actually like this draft (FINALLY). But yeah, the first attempt is always very filler as your subconscious tries to establish what’s important or irrelevant etc. It’s a lotta work XD and nobody knows what their doing on the first draft even if it’s your billionth book. (…Can I read it tho?). Erhm anyway,
    Ehud and Rosy’s story; I’ve started and restarted it a lot. My brother wrote the entire first draft but a lot has changed and I’m using it like an outline now. I’ll probably like start with little prologues for each character and then cutesy little episodes that slowly web into the intrigue part until sudden the whole thing suddenly shifts into the action and you learn the whole “fun-and-games” episodes were actually building up the foundation for the plot twists. It looks epic in my head…*not on the page. Just sorta. There. Not written. XD*

Basically I need to establish a routine to buckle down and just write but I. Hate. The vomit drafting. So much. But yea, gonna work on that daily. Or at least weekly…

Don’t be scared! The worst that can happen is that you don’t like the result and you just stop. I used to be scared of drawing male characters, but I actually really like it now. Even if you don’t like the first attempt, it’ll always get better!

Point, yeah I really should. You too!?! I’ve always hated trying to draw male characters Ehud is actually the first guy I’ve been able to draw ok and that’s because he’s like so Ehud I was so fixated on drawing the personality I forgot he was a male character I had to draw lol. Didyaknow the Disney Snow White was gonna have more screen time for the prince except the animator hated drawing guys! I feel like most drawing books focus more on drawing girls than guys, or if guys then guys in girly poses or who just look really effeminate.
    But yeah…coloring…I think I’ll try some new brushes and techniques 🙂
    After I…actually work on…that Beyond All Borders…script…
    Oh, I was just thinking, can you tell me what made you first fall in love with Rosy and Ehud? I wanna try and be sure I incorporate the really key elements of each character into the plot, I might end up writing little episodes that focus on showing those sides of each character as I develop the tension. In that case can I email you the first draft of an episode when it’s done for critique?

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Well, I’m not sure I really designed them they just sorta fell out of my head. I think Ehud is my inner child and Rosario is the walls I put up to protect myself (and Alessio from the first character castle is my anxiety/depression) and mostly writing about them is my safe place to try and accept myself or learn how to change things in me that aren’t healthy and learning to tell the different.

That’s such a good way to do that! I can honestly say all my characters are just facets of my personality (most of them, anyway.) and that makes it easier to write about.

I think the only reason they’re so vibrant is I make a conscious effort to not filter myself or think what a guy or girl “should” or “shouldn’t” be like, I mean both of them break a lot of “gender stereotypes” and stuff. I know it’s really helped me, especially seeing how everybody loves these characters even tho they shatter just about every preconceived notion I’ve had about how I shouldn’t act. So…that’s helped me be more comfortable with myself.

I’m so glad! Ehud and Rosy are literally some of the best characters I’ve read in a really long time, and that’s including published books. I actually love how they break the stereotypes without falling into new ones. *cough* StrOnG fEmaLe CharActEr *cough*. Honestly, they’re awesome! And I’m so happy they’ve helped you, I think that’s one of the best parts of writing.

I expect Liorah is you learning to become more assertive as you grow and losing to idea of how a “good girl” is supposed to behave. She’s probably a lot of the things you wouldn’t dare say in real life and might even cut off in your thoughts but you still feel it. It’s a healthy development and it’s tough to find out what’s independence and what’s fear of never being independent *(mind shifts to a particular character in one WIP that is…man she and Liorah would either get along great or tear each other’s hair out lol)*.

You’re spot on, as in, freakishly accurate. XD It’s that obvious? I didn’t do it that way on purpose, but it definitely drifted that way XD I’ve always loved really reckless, independent, assertive characters, and Liorah became more and more that way the more I was writing.

I’m on like my fourth or fifth draft of my WIP and I think I actually like this draft (FINALLY). But yeah, the first attempt is always very filler as your subconscious tries to establish what’s important or irrelevant etc. It’s a lotta work XD and nobody knows what their doing on the first draft even if it’s your billionth book.

That’s awesome! Congratulations on getting that far! What’s that WIP about? And it’s some comfort that first drafts are always messy. I’ve found that I have the ‘perfection or nothing’ mindset in the second draft, and I have to consciously turn it off and write a bunch of garbage so I can get back into it.

I actually find the ‘garbage drafting’ process pretty fun and annoying at the same time. I love when I know what the scene’s supposed to look like and I can just get it down, but I hate it when I have no clue (this is most of the time XD)

(…Can I read it tho?)

If you’d like and have time, that would actually be absolutely awesome 🙂 I want to finish rewriting it, but then I do need some critique. 😉 That might take a few months yet… though… I don’t like rewriting XD

Ehud and Rosy’s story; I’ve started and restarted it a lot. My brother wrote the entire first draft but a lot has changed and I’m using it like an outline now. I’ll probably like start with little prologues for each character and then cutesy little episodes that slowly web into the intrigue part until sudden the whole thing suddenly shifts into the action and you learn the whole “fun-and-games” episodes were actually building up the foundation for the plot twists. It looks epic in my head…*not on the page. Just sorta. There. Not written. XD*

That sounds like an awesome idea! You’ll get personality established from the start, and then you can work on the plot. I think it could work, especially since your characters are so good!

You too!?! I’ve always hated trying to draw male characters Ehud is actually the first guy I’ve been able to draw ok and that’s because he’s like so Ehud I was so fixated on drawing the personality I forgot he was a male character I had to draw lol. Didyaknow the Disney Snow White was gonna have more screen time for the prince except the animator hated drawing guys! I feel like most drawing books focus more on drawing girls than guys, or if guys then guys in girly poses or who just look really effeminate.

LOL, yeah, that’s how I got over it too. It was just kinda “This idea is so cool but it means I have to draw Acyn…” Then I just sorta kicked myself and did it. It’s actually getting easier now! And generally, I think girls are more fun to draw XD To me, at least. I’m always scared my guy characters look like girls XD References are lifesavers there!

Oh, I was just thinking, can you tell me what made you first fall in love with Rosy and Ehud?

Okay, here we go!

For Ehud, the first thing that got my attention was how he was always happy. Like, when I first started the castle, it was kinda chaos, with the beasts and all, but Ehud was happy, and he seemed to be having fun (mostly). And he was talking, like a lot. (I’ll never forget that comment about how ‘vampires can’t survive in Italy XD That was hilarious)

He has this constant friendly innocence, and it especially shows in a situation that would normally freak out other characters. He does have realistic emotions, but I love how nothing really gets him down. He may get sad and depressed sometimes, but it doesn’t last. I really love that about him, and it really stands out.

For Rosy, I loved how she seemed really harsh, but she’s so selfless and actually cares for people. Also, she has every reason to be cold and detached, but she’s trying to overcome it and genuinely cares about everyone else, even if she pushes it away. And how she’s constantly protecting Ehud, that’s beyond adorable. If you want to show Rosy at her best, you do need to show her from her POV, or from Ehud’s, since he always sees the best in people.

That’s actually a really good question, and I’ve gotten stuck on it some too. What did you notice about Liorah, Gavril, and Ferran first?

In that case can I email you the first draft of an episode when it’s done for critique?

Yesyesyes! I can’t wait to read it! I’ll check with my parents about a safe way to give you my email address. I actually really enjoy critiquing other people’s writing. Do you want me to do more ‘big picture’ critique, rather than line editing?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I actually love how they break the stereotypes without falling into new ones. *cough* StrOnG fEmaLe CharActEr *cough*. Honestly, they’re awesome! And I’m so happy they’ve helped you, I think that’s one of the best parts of writing.

Lol the “strong female characters” just really grate when that’s all they’re there for. Thanks!

You’re spot on, as in, freakishly accurate. XD It’s that obvious? I didn’t do it that way on purpose, but it definitely drifted that way XD I’ve always loved really reckless, independent, assertive characters, and Liorah became more and more that way the more I was writing.

Well idk if it’s “that obvious” or just my “freakishly almost scary accurate emotion thing” (loosely quote big sister). But reckless, independent, assertive characters are really fun and it’s great reading about Liorah.

That’s awesome! Congratulations on getting that far! What’s that WIP about? And it’s some comfort that first drafts are always messy. I’ve found that I have the ‘perfection or nothing’ mindset in the second draft, and I have to consciously turn it off and write a bunch of garbage so I can get back into it. I actually find the ‘garbage drafting’ process pretty fun and annoying at the same time. I love when I know what the scene’s supposed to look like and I can just get it down, but I hate it when I have no clue (this is most of the time XD)

Oh yea first drafts and second and twentieth drafts are messy 😛 . I definitely like knowing at least roughly what the scene’s supposed to look like and I hate the no clue thing then I just vomit whatever dumb thing has nothing to do with the plot, but a lotta the time it’s helpful.
    My WIP, it’s kinda a level up from Beyond All Borders, I started when I was thirteen and struggling with suicidal thoughts so it addresses a lot of different aspects of that. It’s a fantasy thriller about this fugitive prince with C-PTSD (Complex-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and he has really strong powers in a world where everybody’s prejudiced against people born with powers because they used to protect and guide nations until the power got to their heads and they tried to conquer world but the people rose up killing all “gifteds” so now there’s a lot of inter–racial tension between the groups and some people even think people born with special abilities are extinct.

Anyway there’s a lot of political and guild in-fight during a war between the two axis powers of the world and the story really explores the heads of several villains and antiheroes. It lightly touches on queer-culture especially as connected to abuse particularly psychological abuse and societal pressures. Essentially the story addresses trauma and healing from such and it explores how a person can be very human and identifiable and still be a villain and the differences and similarities between villains, antiheroes and victims and how detrimental stereotyping and gender-expectations can be I mean just imagine people trying to make Ehud more “guyish” or label him as something, it would destroy him.
    Anyway…I better stop here before I blabber so much about the plot I vomit spoilers and plots twists XD.

If you’d like and have time, that would actually be absolutely awesome I want to finish rewriting it, but then I do need some critique. That might take a few months yet… though… I don’t like rewriting XD

Yea rewriting be…so…fuuun *hear my best sarcastic voice*. Well, if ya wanna send it via email for critique I’m fantasywriter2018@outlook.com (and that’s my–as Mom calls it–“crap email” so I can subscribe to all my hobbies and research stuff…)

That sounds like an awesome idea! You’ll get personality established from the start, and then you can work on the plot. I think it could work, especially since your characters are so good!

Thanks! I hope it renders on page well XD

LOL, yeah, that’s how I got over it too. It was just kinda “This idea is so cool but it means I have to draw Acyn…” Then I just sorta kicked myself and did it. It’s actually getting easier now! And generally, I think girls are more fun to draw XD To me, at least. I’m always scared my guy characters look like girls XD References are lifesavers there!

References are definitely lifesavers yes! And girls are more fun to draw usually.

For Ehud, the first thing that got my attention was how he was always happy. Like, when I first started the castle, it was kinda chaos, with the beasts and all, but Ehud was happy, and he seemed to be having fun (mostly). And he was talking, like a lot. (I’ll never forget that comment about how ‘vampires can’t survive in Italy XD That was hilarious) He has this constant friendly innocence, and it especially shows in a situation that would normally freak out other characters. He does have realistic emotions, but I love how nothing really gets him down. He may get sad and depressed sometimes, but it doesn’t last. I really love that about him, and it really stands out. For Rosy, I loved how she seemed really harsh, but she’s so selfless and actually cares for people. Also, she has every reason to be cold and detached, but she’s trying to overcome it and genuinely cares about everyone else, even if she pushes it away. And how she’s constantly protecting Ehud, that’s beyond adorable. If you want to show Rosy at her best, you do need to show her from her POV, or from Ehud’s, since he always sees the best in people. That’s actually a really good question, and I’ve gotten stuck on it some too. What did you notice about Liorah, Gavril, and Ferran first?

Lol, (neither would vampires survive my Italian grandparents :P).
    Thank you for telling me all that, I’m glad those elements of their characters really stand out. I’ll make sure to make them obvious in the actual comic. Thanks again!
    Now, lemmie see. For Liorah, I remember the first thing that made me like her was when she just appeared and said she decided she wasn’t going to die lol. I liked how combative she was with people (like Kiark) who she found arrogant, I liked that she didn’t hide her dislike but she still didn’t want him to die when they were attacked by the monsters. I liked how she argued a lot but she was a great mom-friend to all the sweet characters like Riure and Ehud, like when she comforted Ehud after his nightmare that made me really like her. She could be really kind in a not-exactly-nice way and that made it all the more authentic to me and I feel like I like her more than Gavril although seeing him trying to be the “perfect brother” made for very interesting conflict and the flashback when he was trying to protect her was the moment I began to warm up to him.
    Seeing how frustrated he was with her rebellious nature really highlighted how uptight he is and how heavily he pressures himself to be everything he’s expected to be. He’ll probably have to learn to unlearn some of that to handle stress more effectively. Seeing him protective of Liorah and a little awkward when talking to Riure about praying really helped me fall in love with his character (but Liorah’s still the best).
    Both of the characters are very traumatized by their father’s death; Liorah responses by becoming more rebellious and Gavril responses by becoming more conformist and both have unrealistic expectations on how they should or shouldn’t mold themselves so it’d be really interesting seeing how they grow through that. They just need to learn to be comfortable in their own skins and that’ll be quite a character-driven plot.
    And Ferran he’s like a new favorite character the long-suffering mediator between the two lol. I love especially “She looked beyond furious, which probably meant she was mildly inconvenienced. Gav looked mildly inconvenienced, which meant he was probably in a situation when he should have been beyond furious” and “beyond furious was an understatement. That meant she was alright. Relief washed over me” and “I raised one eyebrow, sufficiently clarifying my opinion of the entire situation.” I just about died lol!
    He’s pretty no-nonsense from what I gather telling Gav to stop acting like a ten-year-old. But he’s not rebellious like Liorah this is just how he works and he loves them both which makes him “above” their arguments. He hasn’t been there very long so he has plenty of potential internal-conflicts like establishing his worth to other people apart from “friend of the royal family” or ogles of other novel factors that idk yet. But he strikes me as much more mature and well-balanced than Liorah and Gavril so I can’t wait to get to know him better and I already really like him!

Yesyesyes! I can’t wait to read it! I’ll check with my parents about a safe way to give you my email address. I actually really enjoy critiquing other people’s writing. Do you want me to do more ‘big picture’ critique, rather than line editing?

Ok, thanks! Probably more ‘big picture’ critique although I’ll probably need some line editing too (that one’s the ‘check for sentence syntax and grammatical errors’ right?).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Your WIP sounds good!

Essentially the story addresses trauma and healing from such and it explores how a person can be very human and identifiable and still be a villain and the differences and similarities between villains, antiheroes and victims and how detrimental stereotyping and gender-expectations can be.

I love that! That sounds like such a good theme! I love it when villains have dimension and actually feel human, more than just “bad! Very bad! The Worst!” Gray characters are so fascinating in general!

I really like the theme of how people should be seen as individuals, not stereotypes.

I’m actually planning a WIP that tackles a similar theme. I don’t have it worked out yet, but basically, the main character is an immigrant after her country went through a crisis of some sort, so a lot of people have immigrated and there’s distrust against them because people think they’re inferior, untrustworthy, taking their jobs, etc.  Like what happened when Irish and east-European people immigrated to America.

So basically, my main character has to hide that she’s an immigrant if she wants to get work, so she learns that it’s something to be ashamed of and she rejects her heritage.

I think it could be interesting to write about 😉 Any feedback?

Okay, that’s awesome! I’ll send you an email pretty soon, just so you have mine too 😉

Thank you so much for the feedback! I don’t know if it’s just that you’re super good at figuring out stuff like that, but you got everything exactly as I intended it!

Both of the characters are very traumatized by their father’s death; Liorah responses by becoming more rebellious and Gavril responses by becoming more conformist and both have unrealistic expectations on how they should or shouldn’t mold themselves so it’d be really interesting seeing how they grow through that. They just need to learn to be comfortable in their own skins and that’ll be quite a character-driven plot.

Fun fact! This is definitely a second-draft development. Their father was mentioned once in the first draft, and that was only in passing. I do think it makes a lot more sense because it explains their behavior a lot more.

And also, it’s only natural for them to react to it, I mean: There was a massive war when Liorah was six and Gavril was eleven, and then their father died two years later.

Honestly, you don’t forget about something like that quickly. I kind of love how Liorah and Gavril reacted to it in exact opposite ways, it makes it really interesting.

And Ferran he’s like a new favorite character the long-suffering mediator between the two lol.

I’ve seldom read something more accurate XD Sahar and Acyn are more like “Ooh, let’s get popcorn, this is getting interesting!” (Trust me, that’s exactly what they do. I’m 99% sure they bet on who’s going to apologize first.) Gav and Liorah actually don’t argue that much, but Ferran is just the natural mediator.

I find it beyond hilarious how everyone just instantly goes like “This one. This one is my favorite.” as soon as Ferran appears. It’s happened so freakishly often that’s it’s kind of funny. Also how people like Liorah a lot more than Gavril? I mean, Liorah dedicates most of her time to making stupid decisions and picking fights, and Gavril just does everything right, but everyone (including myself) prefers Liorah XD I guess she’s just more interesting XD

I just about died lol!

LOL, I’m glad you liked it! Ferran is kind of funny, but only in narration. Honestly, he’s too shy. XD And yes, he has plenty of issues. You’ll see…

Ok, thanks! Probably more ‘big picture’ critique although I’ll probably need some line editing too (that one’s the ‘check for sentence syntax and grammatical errors’ right?).

Okay, awesome! That’s what I need on my manuscript too, I just want it to seem reasonably coherent XD

Just wanted to ask, in what format is your story? You’ve described it as a comic several times. Is it in a comic format already, or is it still a script, or are you writing it as a novel?

Oh, I never actually asked, but what genre is Beyond all Borders? Is it sci-fi, or contemporary, or neither?

Zee
    @zee

Great, thanks for the sketch, @erynne! King Hudson looks really young in that drawing, but I assume he’s around the same age as the Queen? Or is he supposed to be significantly younger than her?

Erynne
    @erynne

@zee

No problem! I hope it gives you a good idea of what he’s supposed to look like. If you need something further than that I have a reference picture of who I want him to look like if you’d like to see that. (Then you’d see just how bad I am at drawing from a reference picture though XD) I have pictures of him in pretty much any position. If you just want to draw him with the sketch go for it!

Yes ma’am, he’s supposed to be in his mid 40s. I just haven’t figured out how to draw age yet. I’m still working on that so most of my portrait sketches look like teenagers…

-Bob Ross

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I love that! That sounds like such a good theme! I love it when villains have dimension and actually feel human, more than just “bad! Very bad! The Worst!” Gray characters are so fascinating in general! I really like the theme of how people should be seen as individuals, not stereotypes.

Thanks! (Gray characters really are, they’re so cool!) I feel like writing this’ll help me break out of my own preconceived notions of what stereotypes I should be.

I’m actually planning a WIP that tackles a similar theme. I don’t have it worked out yet, but basically, the main character is an immigrant after her country went through a crisis of some sort, so a lot of people have immigrated and there’s distrust against them because people think they’re inferior, untrustworthy, taking their jobs, etc.  Like what happened when Irish and east-European people immigrated to America. So basically, my main character has to hide that she’s an immigrant if she wants to get work, so she learns that it’s something to be ashamed of and she rejects her heritage. I think it could be interesting to write about Any feedback?

That would be a great story to work! I know I’ve been told before if I want a good job/college credit in the future I shouldn’t mention I’m Catholic and I know plenty of family members who’ve had trouble because they’re openly Catholic/Christian/homeschooled, so I mean it’s definitely a theme very relevant to today.
    The MC would probably have to be a fairly well-rounded character to avoid becoming an underdog stereotype, and probably want to be wary of it being applied to current immigration and black lives matter politics or just confront that one head on cos that political atmosphere is just riveted stereotypes on either side.
    I like the idea it’s got a lotta potential depending on how you work it.

Fun fact! This is definitely a second-draft development. Their father was mentioned once in the first draft, and that was only in passing. I do think it makes a lot more sense because it explains their behavior a lot more. And also, it’s only natural for them to react to it, I mean: There was a massive war when Liorah was six and Gavril was eleven, and then their father died two years later. Honestly, you don’t forget about something like that quickly. I kind of love how Liorah and Gavril reacted to it in exact opposite ways, it makes it really interesting.

It really does it makes their characters so much more relatable and I mean if Liorah was just sassy and Gavril was just Mr Perfect there’d be no character. But as it is they’re really great ping-ponging off each other!

I’ve seldom read something more accurate XD Sahar and Acyn are more like “Ooh, let’s get popcorn, this is getting interesting!” (Trust me, that’s exactly what they do. I’m 99% sure they bet on who’s going to apologize first.) Gav and Liorah actually don’t argue that much, but Ferran is just the natural mediator. I find it beyond hilarious how everyone just instantly goes like “This one. This one is my favorite.” as soon as Ferran appears. It’s happened so freakishly often that’s it’s kind of funny. Also how people like Liorah a lot more than Gavril? I mean, Liorah dedicates most of her time to making stupid decisions and picking fights, and Gavril just does everything right, but everyone (including myself) prefers Liorah XD I guess she’s just more interesting XD

LOL, I know some characters they can hang out with in my WIP *like, literally everybody at some point in that story…*
    Yeah most people seem to just like the crazier characters or characters with attitudes like most people like weird conversations as opposed to ‘polite conversations’. I guess interesting is more interesting than important is important especially in entertainment.

Okay, awesome! That’s what I need on my manuscript too, I just want it to seem reasonably coherent XD Just wanted to ask, in what format is your story? You’ve described it as a comic several times. Is it in a comic format already, or is it still a script, or are you writing it as a novel? Oh, I never actually asked, but what genre is Beyond all Borders? Is it sci-fi, or contemporary, or neither?

Ok! Format; it is not in comic format yet still in scripting process, on which subject, do you wanna critique in script format or in the rough sketch which’ll give more of the accompanying visual with the dialogue (both of each are a new medium for me)?
    And genre, it’s…*thought this was a very straightforward question until trying to answer it lol*, it’s…probably somewhere in science-fantasy; it has modernized fantasy creatures like vampires and werewolves and all that is normal but the story relies on technology more than magic but it’s reminiscent of Prohibition ascetic and historical politics (which is @rusted-knight’s area of expertise so I know the tech is historically and tactically efficient). Soo historic cyber-punk with action/adventure/espionage? I’ve never actually pinned down a clear definition for it what’s contemporary in the writing genre?

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 913 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest