fb

Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 913 total)
  • Author
    Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@rose-colored-fancy

I use Krita, a free drawing program, and I will never stop ranting about it. It’s so amazing!

Yes! Krita is amazing! I use it for all my digital art…the brushes are fantastic.😆

Not all who wander are lost.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

IKR! I must have the lasso and undo features now they are my favorite and resizing a billion times is a must lol! They are my favorite right next to the layer (which allows you to lasso individual parts even they’re tangled-connected to the rest of the drawing) and the hazy brush.

Yes, it’s awesome! I resize almost every drawing I work on XD And the layering is so helpful, it completely changed my art when I discovered the ‘soft lighting’ setting. My lighting and shadow used to make everything look gray XD And the hazy brush is a lifesaver for backgrounds, it really gives you the effect of distance.

Maaaaaannnn, the colors in that drawing I’m gonna die! And that ribbon! I can never blend white with my colors so flawlessly it looks photorealistic. And the shading gives it so much dimension *sighhhh, still staring at the picture over and over again*

I’m so glad you like it!! I actually didn’t use white for the ribbon, it was just a pale pink. Actually, it was almost medium pink, it’s just the contrast that makes it seem light. I don’t use pure black or white, ever, since it looks so flat. Even for technically ‘black’ stuff, I like to use dark blue.

I do that with pupils, they’re actually navy, though I used highly saturated cobalt toward the light spot. I love doing that, it makes it seem sort of vivid.

Lol yes, she definitely has an attitude *Rosario; I…don’t. I merely do my job with more efficiency that ninety percent of the population. Me; your job was to kill people. Rosario; and I completed it very efficiently. Me; inching to the door…*

LOL! Exactly XD

I’ve been trying to start on Ehud’s digital picture, but I’m having trouble with a good pose. I’ll try to find one, but I haven’t yet. 😉

@arindown

Yes! Krita is amazing! I use it for all my digital art…the brushes are fantastic.

I totally agree!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I’m so glad you like it!! I actually didn’t use white for the ribbon, it was just a pale pink. Actually, it was almost medium pink, it’s just the contrast that makes it seem light. I don’t use pure black or white, ever, since it looks so flat. Even for technically ‘black’ stuff, I like to use dark blue. I do that with pupils, they’re actually navy, though I used highly saturated cobalt toward the light spot. I love doing that, it makes it seem sort of vivid.

Whoa I swear it looks like a white bit of reflective light, tis glorious. (Saving your technique for future use. Shall never forget).

I’ve been trying to start on Ehud’s digital picture, but I’m having trouble with a good pose. I’ll try to find one, but I haven’t yet.

Ikr! I haven’t posted a sketch of him yet cos of that too! He’s so energetic it’s like trying to take a non-blurry picture of a hummingbird or successfully escape chores without repercussions! That…and I got distracted by impractical possible jacket designs XD. Like these

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ikr! I haven’t posted a sketch of him yet cos of that too! He’s so energetic it’s like trying to take a non-blurry picture of a hummingbird or successfully escape chores without repercussions! That…and I got distracted by impractical possible jacket designs XD. Like these

Ooh, I love those sketches! They have so much energy and movement, they really suit him! That jacket looks awesome, I’d totally wear that XD They’re actually not that impractical… *Mentally draws pattern* Yep, definitely possible! It’s a peacoat with long coattails, cuffs, pockets, and either a hood or a collar, I can’t quite tell. Honestly, I kinda want one now XD It looks totally awesome on Ehud!

I think that’s actually why I haven’t found a good pose for him yet. Everything looks too stiff… Hmm, I’ll find something eventually XD

Also, your similies were fantastic XD

I’m drawing Liorah’s wardrobe, mostly so I can describe/visualize it better. And, because I enjoy making life as hard as possible for myself, I decided to make all her clothing, if not historically accurate, historically feasible. That means all pattern pieces are either rectangles or triangles (Because if you just spent a year hand-weaving a piece of cloth, you aren’t going to throw any of it away!) and they can be made without elastic, gathering, zippers, etc. So far (I’ve only got one outfit) It’s possible, and exceptionally fun XD I have an eternal adoration for historical fashion, so it gives me an excuse to go down that rabbit hole.

So far, I’ve only got her travel outfit:

For this one specifically, there were an awful lot of things to take into consideration, like movability, sun protection, foot protection (Because horses), and awesomeness (<i>Very </i>important). But I’m actually pretty happy with it! The front of her tunic is actually longer (Mid-calf) but it can be tucked into her belt for easier movement. That is neither historical nor strictly practical, but it’s cool, so it’s staying XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ooh, I love those sketches! They have so much energy and movement, they really suit him! That jacket looks awesome, I’d totally wear that XD They’re actually not that impractical… *Mentally draws pattern* Yep, definitely possible! It’s a peacoat with long coattails, cuffs, pockets, and either a hood or a collar, I can’t quite tell. Honestly, I kinda want one now XD It looks totally awesome on Ehud!

Aw thanks! My brother just told me those jackets can have tons of pockets so yeah I guess it sticks now (tho how I’m gonna keep that quality wrinklage from panel to panel idk). I must now figure out how to incorporate a hood well with the oversized collar, which’ll probably look weird, so Ehud will love it. All Manga jackets must have dramatic expressive wrinkles as a rule lol. *‘peacoat with long coattails, cuffs, pockets and either a hood or collar’ me; had no idea what that jacket was called or that you could actually look and see the connecting pieces that easily. Is very impressed XD*

I think that’s actually why I haven’t found a good pose for him yet. Everything looks too stiff… Hmm, I’ll find something eventually XD

Yeeesss. For reference are Pinterest has kindly provided me with some energetic poses just recently! (I have a working relationship with Pinterest; I’m resigned to the fact that they spy on every aspect of my web-life and they provide me with dynamic picture reference aaand…self-help blogs for people with depression and anxiety and post trauma…? (that was for a novel, guys, I swear that was for a novel!). But, anyway, if this helps XD

Also, your similies were fantastic XD

Lol thanks! I used to play this game with myself when I started writing; try to see what two most unrelated things you can make a descriptive connection with, and now my brain just rolls with it automatically.

I’m drawing Liorah’s wardrobe, mostly so I can describe/visualize it better. And, because I enjoy making life as hard as possible for myself, I decided to make all her clothing, if not historically accurate, historically feasible. That means all pattern pieces are either rectangles or triangles (Because if you just spent a year hand-weaving a piece of cloth, you aren’t going to throw any of it away!) and they can be made without elastic, gathering, zippers, etc. So far (I’ve only got one outfit) It’s possible, and exceptionally fun XD I have an eternal adoration for historical fashion, so it gives me an excuse to go down that rabbit hole.

Oh so true! I can draw myself crazy in all the different possible outfits and what outfits to use and what completely ridiculous but adorable outfits for different personalities, but historically accurate/feasible? I might as well try to out-stubborn gravity. Oh, btw, you wouldn’t happen to know Spanish medieval fashion or Prohibition fashion would you…? *mild(ish) puppy eyes*

For this one specifically, there were an awful lot of things to take into consideration, like movability, sun protection, foot protection (Because horses), and awesomeness (<i>Very </i>important). But I’m actually pretty happy with it! The front of her tunic is actually longer (Mid-calf) but it can be tucked into her belt for easier movement. That is neither historical nor strictly practical, but it’s cool, so it’s staying XD

Oh honey that braid! *squeals internally* Just beautiful!
    I love her head-jewel and the blue head covering! And yes, the belt-tucked tunic is just too cool to go!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

*‘peacoat with long coattails, cuffs, pockets and either a hood or collar’ me; had no idea what that jacket was called or that you could actually look and see the connecting pieces that easily. Is very impressed XD*

LOL, I’ve been sewing too long XD But yeah, if you need references, you can use those terms to get really specific images.

(I have a working relationship with Pinterest; I’m resigned to the fact that they spy on every aspect of my web-life and they provide me with dynamic picture reference aaand…self-help blogs for people with depression and anxiety and post trauma…? (that was for a novel, guys, I swear that was for a novel!). But, anyway, if this helps XD

LOL, that is too relatable XD I’ve been getting way too many pins about all the places you can hide weapons in a ball gown. (I’m a writer!! I promise!) But it’s awesome for getting references for art!

I totally love those poses!! They really suit Ehud! I’m in the middle of a project now, but once I finish that, I think I’ll draw Ehud! Maybe the fourth one? I think I could manage that!

Lol thanks! I used to play this game with myself when I started writing; try to see what two most unrelated things you can make a descriptive connection with, and now my brain just rolls with it automatically.

You’re brilliant at it, it makes me laugh every time XD It kinda makes me think of Douglas Adams’ similies, which are literary works of art. For instance: “The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.” And, “He leaned tensely against the corridor wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.”

Oh, btw, you wouldn’t happen to know Spanish medieval fashion or Prohibition fashion would you…? *mild(ish) puppy eyes*

*Bounces rapidly* Yesyesyes! I do!!! By Prohibition fashion, you mean the 1920’s? Or the rationing of fabric during WWII? Sorry, both of those can be interpreted that way XD.

And for Spanish medieval fashion, which century do you mean? Because the Spanish fashion of the late middle ages to the early renaissance was amazing, and I do know a bit about those!

Oh honey that braid! *squeals internally* Just beautiful!
    I love her head-jewel and the blue head covering! And yes, the belt-tucked tunic is just too cool to go!

Aww, thank you so much!!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

LOL, I’ve been sewing too long XD But yeah, if you need references, you can use those terms to get really specific images.

Cool! Thanks!

LOL, that is too relatable XD I’ve been getting way too many pins about all the places you can hide weapons in a ball gown. (I’m a writer!! I promise!) But it’s awesome for getting references for art! I totally love those poses!! They really suit Ehud! I’m in the middle of a project now, but once I finish that, I think I’ll draw Ehud! Maybe the fourth one? I think I could manage that!

(how many places can you hide weapons in a ball gown?XD). No hurry tho, if I can ask whacha working on?

For instance: “The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.” And, “He leaned tensely against the corridor wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.”

Those are hysterical, LOL!

*Bounces rapidly* Yesyesyes! I do!!! By Prohibition fashion, you mean the 1920’s? Or the rationing of fabric during WWII? Sorry, both of those can be interpreted that way XD.

I’m leaning toward 1920’s but it’s just a loose date for the ascetic more than the accurate cos I’m probably gonna add a bit of a fantasy-steampunk flare to anything ya give me there.

And for Spanish medieval fashion, which century do you mean? Because the Spanish fashion of the late middle ages to the early renaissance was amazing, and I do know a bit about those!

Those are perfect dates! Especially since idk the first thing about it I just know that fantasy world draws more from a Spanish heritage XD. I’ve never really put a lot of thought into the fashion for my fantasy worlds but it would definitely fill-in more of the visual and give it that much more world-building. It’s really cool that you know all this stuff! Thankyou thankyou!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

(how many places can you hide weapons in a ball gown?XD). No hurry tho, if I can ask whacha working on?

Apparently, a lot of places! Extra-long hairpins, bracelets with knives hidden in them, and I had an idea that you might be able to replace the metal boning in a corset with a flexible blade. It wouldn’t be ideal for fighting, but if you had to cut your ropes or something like that, it would be perfectly hidden.

Also, whale-bone corsets have enough reinforcement that they’re as good as armor! Historically, they have stopped stabbings and even bullets, in the case of metal-boned corsets. That’s something they don’t mention in the history books XD Don’t even ask why I needed all this XD

I actually just finished the project! It’s my new profile picture. I started on Ehud, but I’m already regretting the pose, because of foreshortening. *Deep sigh* Well, I’m getting there!

I think I’ll actually draw him in that peacoat you had before because it’s really cool. Will that be alright?

I’m leaning toward 1920’s but it’s just a loose date for the ascetic more than the accurate cos I’m probably gonna add a bit of a fantasy-steampunk flare to anything ya give me there.

(Fantasy/steampunk flares are the best! I’m currently vaguely planning a Victorian age fantasy, which I think would be so much fun.)

Okay, crash-course jazz-age fashion! I’ll be focusing mainly on women’s fashion because the men’s fashion was reasonably standard. You can find info on that pretty easily. (Honestly, I just find it boring so I haven’t researched it XD)

The most important part is the silhouette, which changed SO much from the 1910s to the ’20s. Straight dresses and skirts to the knees. Silk stockings were often worn. There was no waist definition, it was entirely straight from shoulders to hips. Corsets were much less worn in the ’20s. The dresses were often sleeveless for summer.

Hair was almost universally short. Blunt bobs were very popular.

For evening-wear, sparkles. Just, sparkles everywhere. Sparkles, sequins, fringe, you can’t really overdo it. Bejeweled headbands were pretty popular. Long gloves for very formal events and very long strings of pearls were worn.
    If you want it more fantasy-ish, but still want to keep the aesthetic, all you really need to mention is the shorter skirts and dresses, dropped waistlines, and bobbed hair. Most people will get what you’re referring to just from that.
    The 1920s are thankfully pretty easy to research. Pinterest is your friend! You can find photographs and old patterns, which are such a help.

Those are perfect dates! Especially since idk the first thing about it I just know that fantasy world draws more from a Spanish heritage XD. I’ve never really put a lot of thought into the fashion for my fantasy worlds but it would definitely fill-in more of the visual and give it that much more world-building.

Okay, this is an awful lot trickier. I don’t know that much about this era, but I can give you some places where you could research. If you want it more for the visual and general correctness, you could look up the Italian renaissance fashion, since it was close to Spanish. The specific terms for it would be the Italian or Spanish renaissance.
    If you have twenty minutes to spare, there’s a YouTube video by The Ultimate Fashion History that explains it in detail. I watched it a long time ago, so I don’t remember much, only that it was detailed and pretty clear, with lots of images and all the correct terms, plus good video quality. It was originally a course for students studying fashion history, so it’s very precise and accurate. If you really want to understand how the fashion of the time worked, I recommend checking it out.

It’s really cool that you know all this stuff! Thankyou thankyou!

You’re totally welcome! Hope this helped!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Hi Cathy! I finished sketching Ehud! I put in a quick flat color, so nothing is shaded yet. I wanted to show it real quick because I can still change things if I need to. Is there anything I should change?

Nothing is shaded, so the colors will change a bit and it’ll look more 3D. I drew his shoelaces untied because he seems like that kind of person XD

I used the same tailcoat pattern, but I added some contrasting fabric because I think it looks cool. XD

I think his hair is better than the last time I drew it, it looks a bit… poofier? In a good way XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Apparently, a lot of places! Extra-long hairpins, bracelets with knives hidden in them, and I had an idea that you might be able to replace the metal boning in a corset with a flexible blade. It wouldn’t be ideal for fighting, but if you had to cut your ropes or something like that, it would be perfectly hidden. Also, whale-bone corsets have enough reinforcement that they’re as good as armor! Historically, they have stopped stabbings and even bullets, in the case of metal-boned corsets. That’s something they don’t mention in the history books XD Don’t even ask why I needed all this XD

That is epic! I already know where I can put that corset!

I actually just finished the project! It’s my new profile picture. I started on Ehud, but I’m already regretting the pose, because of foreshortening. *Deep sigh* Well, I’m getting there!

She looks lovely!!! Any particular story she’s from?

Well, to tell the truth I wouldn’t be able to foreshorten as well as I do if I weren’t blind in one eye. You see without the two eyes converging I could only see in 2D so my art was really flat then but with therapy I now have full ‘depth-perception’ so my eyes are really sensitive to the differences and it reflects in my drawing (at least, that’s what my sister says, and she’d see my old sketches (that I deleted on sight…XD)).
    But it’s really a matter of not drawing correctly. Instead I get some really loose lines and a focal point like a fist if it’s supposed to ‘pop out’ and I usually have to consciously not draw limbs and let my hand instead of my brain do the work.

Not sure how helpful that was but…XD
    I think I’m gonna keep that peacoat now I’m beginning to warm up to it.

(Fantasy/steampunk flares are the best! I’m currently vaguely planning a Victorian age fantasy, which I think would be so much fun.)

Victorian is a great aesthetic I’d love to read a fantasy with that! <3

Okay, crash-course jazz-age fashion! I’ll be focusing mainly on women’s fashion because the men’s fashion was reasonably standard. You can find info on that pretty easily. (Honestly, I just find it boring so I haven’t researched it XD) The most important part is the silhouette, which changed SO much from the 1910s to the ’20s. Straight dresses and skirts to the knees. Silk stockings were often worn. There was no waist definition, it was entirely straight from shoulders to hips. Corsets were much less worn in the ’20s. The dresses were often sleeveless for summer. Hair was almost universally short. Blunt bobs were very popular.

Alright I can work with that, thanks!

For evening-wear, sparkles. Just, sparkles everywhere. Sparkles, sequins, fringe, you can’t really overdo it. Bejeweled headbands were pretty popular. Long gloves for very formal events and very long strings of pearls were worn. If you want it more fantasy-ish, but still want to keep the aesthetic, all you really need to mention is the shorter skirts and dresses, dropped waistlines, and bobbed hair. Most people will get what you’re referring to just from that. The 1920s are thankfully pretty easy to research. Pinterest is your friend! You can find photographs and old patterns, which are such a help.

I am so happy I LOVE sparkles (which is probably why my siblings hate them XD). This aesthetic will be so fun to draw!!!

Okay, this is an awful lot trickier. I don’t know that much about this era, but I can give you some places where you could research. If you want it more for the visual and general correctness, you could look up the Italian renaissance fashion, since it was close to Spanish. The specific terms for it would be the Italian or Spanish renaissance. If you have twenty minutes to spare, there’s a YouTube video by The Ultimate Fashion History that explains it in detail. I watched it a long time ago, so I don’t remember much, only that it was detailed and pretty clear, with lots of images and all the correct terms, plus good video quality. It was originally a course for students studying fashion history, so it’s very precise and accurate. If you really want to understand how the fashion of the time worked, I recommend checking it out.

Thank you! I didn’t know Italian and Spanish renaissance fashion was similar I can’t wait to look that up!

I finished sketching Ehud! I put in a quick flat color, so nothing is shaded yet. I wanted to show it real quick because I can still change things if I need to. Is there anything I should change?

I like it! It looks really coordinated and smooth which is something I have trouble with XD and you’re right the hair really looks fluffier and more streamlined. Lol yes his shoelaces are always untied (in fact I think he replaces the actual shoelace with paracord or something he can escape with).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

That is epic! I already know where I can put that corset!

IKR! It’s just the coolest! Jill Bearup on YouTube made a video about it, and it’s one of the most awesome things I’ve learned.

She looks lovely!!! Any particular story she’s from?

Thank you! Hmm.. Yes and no. She might be the main character from the Victorian fantasy, or she might turn out not to XD I actually don’t know. The aesthetic matches the Victorian fantasy, but I don’t know if I’ll use her specifically. I just had a really vivid idea and had to draw it XD

Well, to tell the truth I wouldn’t be able to foreshorten as well as I do if I weren’t blind in one eye. You see without the two eyes converging I could only see in 2D so my art was really flat then but with therapy I now have full ‘depth-perception’ so my eyes are really sensitive to the differences and it reflects in my drawing (at least, that’s what my sister says, and she’d see my old sketches (that I deleted on sight…XD)).
    But it’s really a matter of not drawing correctly. Instead I get some really loose lines and a focal point like a fist if it’s supposed to ‘pop out’ and I usually have to consciously not draw limbs and let my hand instead of my brain do the work.

That’s so cool! That’s a really interesting technique! I usually kinda eyeball it until it looks right and flip my canvas about fifty-thousand times.
    Also, the coil method was super helpful and kind of mindblowing. It’s a YouTube video by Sycra, and it’s the coolest thing!

Victorian is a great aesthetic I’d love to read a fantasy with that! <3

IKR! I’m pretty excited to write it, but I want to finish Liorah’s trilogy first. No, I still don’t have a series name XD, though I have all the books temporarily titled.

I’m going with an ‘X of Y and Z’ pattern, since I kind of like titles like that. So far I have: “The Tribe of Sand and Azure” and “The Assassins of Mountains and Moonlight”. For the third one, I’m thinking about something like “The Queen of Blood and Thunder” or maybe “The Crowns of Blood and Thunder”. I’m not sure yet XD The titles aren’t final yet, what do you think?

Does Ehud and Rosy’s story have a title yet?

It’s so awesome that you’re writing fantasies set in other times and places! I’d love to read a 1920’s fantasy, that sounds epic!

I am so happy I LOVE sparkles (which is probably why my siblings hate them XD). This aesthetic will be so fun to draw!!!

IKR! 1920’s character art always looks fantastic!

I like it! It looks really coordinated and smooth which is something I have trouble with XD and you’re right the hair really looks fluffier and more streamlined.

Thank you! I’m glad you like it!

Lol yes his shoelaces are always untied (in fact I think he replaces the actual shoelace with paracord or something he can escape with).

He’s totally that type of person XD

Here’s the final picture!

I actually love how the colors came out. I’m using a new technique, different from the one I used for Rosy. I have a tendency to overblend stuff, so I changed it a bit. It gives pretty nice colors. And color dodge, of course! (I’ve been watching too much Ross Draws, XD but it does look awesome! It kind of makes it look like it’s glowing, and it works especially well for hair.

Zee
    @zee

Hi, @erynne, sorry–for some reason I didn’t see your post until now. Just share a description of your character/s, as detailed as possible, and I’ll be happy to see what I can do. I’ve got a simple, cartoon-like style, but hopefully I can come up with something you like.

Erynne
    @erynne

Hey, @zee! No problem it’s given me some time to get some descriptions together.

So I’m struggling to draw my queen and king and I seem to be more satisfied with other people’s drawings rather than my own. I’ll give you the description for both, but you don’t have to do both you can just choose which one you like better.

So Queen Emery-

Long, thick curly brown hair with a hint of red (like not Rapunzel, but still really long),        She’s in her early 40’s, green eyes, and she’s beautiful and really kind. She would wear a white dress with golden flower print.

King Hudson-

He’s strong, tall, handsome, in his mid-forties, with short, thick dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a trimmed mustache and beard. I can’t decide what he would wear… My mind always goes to how Disney kings dress but I can’t use that XD He would probably wear something like this:

If you need more details let me know! Thanks!

"There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
    -Bob Ross

Zee
    @zee

Cool, @erynne! I’ll see what I can do with the queen, and if you like her, I’ll do the king.

Erynne
    @erynne

@zee
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Ok great! Thank you so much!!!</p>

"There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
    -Bob Ross

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 913 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest