Can I get this critiqued please?

Forums Art Art Critique Can I get this critiqued please?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Shira Dermal

Could I get some feedback on this? I need to work on making stuff look 3-D and realistic. It’s a rough sketch of one of my characters. Ignore the bird! I was in a hurry when I drew that part, and am planning to erase and redo it. @the-fledgling-artist I know you wanted to see some of my work.

"You can dance with my henchman."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@kari-karast Oh, cool! Thanks for sharing some of your art! I’m not very great at giving critique, but I’ll try my best. ^-^

I really like your line quality here. A lot of newer artists have really scratchy lines. They go over the same line over and over due to a lack of confidence. (I could totally pull out some of my old art to demonstrate xD)  You only did one stroke per line though, so that’s fantastic!

I also like the attention to detail in the skirt and belt. Very nice.

I think something that you might benefit from working on is form. It doesn’t look like you used any shapes or forms to figure out where your lines should be. It kind of looks like you just went right in with lines. It’s a really tricky thing to explain, but when you’re drawing something you have to keep in mind the shapes. Maybe you already know this, and your sitting there thinking, well that’s all well and good.. But how do I actually do that???

The annoying answer is simply, practice. 🙂 No one wants to hear it, but really  the only way to improve is to keep going no matter how much you don’t like what you’re making.
    I’m not really skilled or experienced to give you a better answer, but I pulled out some Google Images that might help you understand what I’m talking about.

If you practice drawing shapes like these, and understanding how to show depth with shadows and highlights, you can use that knowledge do to stuff like this.

.. And this.

These lines wont really show up in your finished illustration, but they help you understand where to put the lines that do show up. 🙂

… Have I confused you? I feel like I may have been a little confusing.
    If you wish I can summon some more artists peoples to give you their two cents. 🙂

.. Okay have a nice day please! ^-^

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@the-fledgling-artist

Thanks! I think you did fine critiquing. That helps. I will definitely keep it in mind. And no, it wasn’t confusing. (Well, maybe a teeny, tiny bit.) YES. I do wish for you to summon more artist peoples! I didn’t really know who else to @ besides you. I did/am have(ing) a nice day. Thank you.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@kari-karast Okay, awesome!

Here are just a few of the super fantastic artists that live on the forums. ^-^

@christieton @sageinthemeadow @moonink @chalice @blueberry @ori-art

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Thanks again! This is all a big help! (Especially since I finally stopped procrastinating long enough to finally post to get input.)

ori-art
    @ori-art

@kari-karast

I would basically second what @the-fledgling-artist said. Practice is key…the hard part, and what I dislike the most. Her advice on shapes was good for me too, cause I’m the type who just draws what I see without seperating it into shapes. Which can be fine except for when I draw from my head…then I get stuck. 😞

Also, just remember…REALISTIC looks different for different artists. So don’t hide your style by trying to make it look like other people’s. Sorry, I don’t mean to preach…buuuut…I’ve done that a lot, and it was very helpful. Good luck and happy practicing! 😜

"Who knows what the next month will bring? I say let us eat cake now!"
    -Mr. Benedict

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@ori-art

Thank you! Like I said before, I will most definitely try to remember the shape thing. Yes. I have seen soooo many different drawing styles. I need to work on making it look realistic to me. As far as I can remember, no one’s actually commented on the realism of my work. Yes, I will be doing the practicing! Thanks again!

ori-art
    @ori-art

@kari-karast

Arrrrgh…I meant…”it wasn’t very helpful”…sorry that might not have made sense. Just wanted to clarify.

"Who knows what the next month will bring? I say let us eat cake now!"
    -Mr. Benedict

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@ori-art

Ohhhh. That makes a lot more sense now. It was a bit confusing. I put it down to either too much caffeine, or everyone who comes into contact with me becoming insane. It’s fine though. I was connecting the wrong words together anyway. XD

Ara
    @itisastarrynight

@kari-karast It looks great! The proportions look good, too. 🙂 Plus everything thefledgelingartist pointed out. I think she is on thr right track with her advice as well.
    When it comes to things looking 3D it helps to grasp a good understanding of perspective(something I definitely do not have!) and also knowing the proper way to draw clothing folds.
    I must say I was impressed with your technique of drawing folds. I don’t really know how to explain it; Both her cape and her skirt the outline is kind of wiggly and it shows motion because you didn’t just do flat lines.
    Also on a side not something else that can add more depth is shading done correctly.

So as you can see there are always dozens of ways every artist can improve. At this point you are on a great start, and it is probably best to not worry about all the many ways you could level up but rather take it one step at a time and work on developing one skill of the many. It would be too overwhelming to try and fix everything at once.

Sketching with no reference is like hiking without a map!

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@itisastarrynight

Thank you! This is all really helpful! I will definitely try that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest