Camp NaNoWriMo?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Camp NaNoWriMo?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Eden Anderson 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

S.F. Dekreel
    @dekreel

Hello! I’m considering trying out Camp NaNo which, I believe, starts next month. Doesn’t it?

Anyway, two questions: First, are you doing Camp NaNo? Second, if I join do I have to start a new writing project? I’d rather just work on at least one existing project. . . preferably all of them as I don’t write as much as some people.

@jenwriter17  @thewirelessblade  @kari-karast  @emgc  @ericawordsmith  @h-jones  @selah-chelyah  @catwing  @ashira  @evelyn  @I-Honestly-Have-No-Idea

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Catwing
    @catwing

@dekreel It does start next month.

I am doing Camp Nano. 🙂
    I don’t think you have to create a new project. They have a FAQs page on there that is informative (where I pulled this from). “…we welcome all writers at any stage. Outlines, character sketches, and other planning steps are encouraged, and you’re welcome to continue an old project. Just be sure to only count words written during November toward your goal.”
    Also you use the same account from Nanowrimo (if you have one).
    I’ve heard of some people doing more than one story for Nano. so it should be fine.

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

S.F. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@catwing  Shweet! Thanks so much. I think Camp will help me out somewhat with writing motivation.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  S.F. Dekreel.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel I’m not doing Camp NaNo for April this year; too busy. I might do the July one, but I may be too busy then too, lol! 😀

Ditto what Catwing said. I don’t think you have to start a new project; camp nano seems to be less strict and more self-paced than nano in November (and you can make your own goals I believe, instead of the 50k).

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Hey, so I hardly know anything about NaNo so please excuse my ignorance…but what’s the difference between NaNo and Camp NaNo? And is Camp NaNo a real, physical camp or is it online?

Thanks! 🙂

@evelyn @catwing @jenwriter17

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Audrey Caylin
    @morreafirebird

@dekreel yes, the first camp nano does start next month (there’s another one in July, too). And you definitely don’t need to start a new project! Camp NaNo is a lot more flexible than the actual NaNoWriMo, so you can make an hour goal, a chapter goal, a word count goal, or any of the other options they have. I know a lot of people who just aim to add 20k more to their current WIP, though some do write a whole new one. It really depends on what you want to do, and camp nano gives you the flexibility to make your own type of goal 🙂

An old-soul bookdragon with a pet phoenix. Probably lost in an imaginary world. http://audreycaylin.

Catwing
    @catwing

@eden-anderson That’s okay. You learn by asking questions. 🙂
    Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month aka November. Camp Nano is in April and July and you can set your own goals instead of doing the 50k of November. Camp Nano has cabins where you can communicate and encourage your friends (Nanowrimo doesn’t, unless I missed them. But you can friend and send messages).
    It is virtual. But I think there are some events stuff that Nano sends you for your area. But I haven’t gone to any or really looked into them. I just ignore them. 😛 (I did Nanowrimo for the first time last year)
    Does that help?

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@dekreel

I’m doing it! There are actually two Camp NaNoWriMos, and the November event, one in April and one in July. The people before me have pretty much answered your main question. 🙂

@eden-anderson

It’s all online. The main difference between Camp NaNoWriMo and November NaNoWriMo is that in November there’s a set goal of 50,000 words and you’re more encouraged to start with a new project (you don’t have to abide by those guidelines (Barbossa, anyone?), but it’s more encouraged), whereas for Camp it’s easier to set a goal for outlining, editing, etc.; set your own word count; that kind of thing. ALSO Camp has the added benefit of online cabins, which is like a private chatroom for 20 Camp NaNo participants (you can be randomly sorted, or you can be added to a specific cabin).

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

Oh! I forgot about write-ins. Yeah, like @catwing said, there are often local writing meet-ups (called “write-ins”) where you go and write alongside other writers and you can participate in word wars and that kind of thing. My local library often hosts those for the younger writers in the area, at least throughout November if not the Camps.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Looks like all the questions are answered here, besides whether or not I’m doing Camp NaNoWriMo, of which the answer would be “yes.”  😉

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@eden-anderson Ditto what R.M. said. 🙂

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@dekreel

Unfortunately I have not done NaNoWriMo, so I am not sure the answers to your questions. 😀 Thanks for tagging me, though.

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@dekreel

I’ll be doing it 🙂 Hopefully anyway.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@catwing @r-m-archer @jenwriter17

Okay, thanks guys! That answers my questions. 😀

(Archer, those write-ins sound so cool! Thanks for letting me know.)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Snapper
    @snapper

@dekreel I’ll be doing it! Somehow it falls that I’ll be starting a new project, but there’s no obligation to that project, just the word count, or pages, that you put down (and even that can change in the middle of the month if you decide it’s too much!)

*melts chair*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest