fb

Calling all SCI-FI WRITERS! Idea propositions!

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Calling all SCI-FI WRITERS! Idea propositions!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

Hi all!

Hmm… I’m not sure if I’ve met a Sci-Fi writer here yet, but I’ve been cooped up in my guild for the past couple of weeks, so let’s see how this goes.

This is a thread for all Sci-Fi writers here. πŸ™‚ I have a resource/site to recommend in terms of ideas/inspiration – this blog has a load of super cool technology and scientific ideas that any of us may incorporate into our writing! πŸ™‚ It’s a bit technical, but the content is wonderful and I think can be super useful in sci-fi stories.

First, an intro can be found here: https://writefortheking.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/sci-fi-science-prompts-from-friends-blog/

Some of the links don’t work for the blog article above, because it’s an old one, so here’s the actual site

https://6tscience.wordpress.com/ultramatter/

Let me know what you think!!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Anonymous

I’m a Sci-Fi writer! My first book is Sci-Fi.

Useful links, @pursuewisdom, I’ll go through them soon.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@millennium-m

*Shakes hands with you*

Thanks! Now if I have any other Sci-Fi related questions I’ll be sure to tag you! πŸ™‚

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@pursuewisdom Thank you for the links! I’m new to the sci-fi genre. I’m actually currently writing my first futuristic/sci-fi. πŸ™‚

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@jenwriter17

Hi there! Sorry it’s taken me a while to catch up.

Nice to see another sci-fi writer! Yes, these ideas can be super cool in terms of technological as well as other (like the entire idea of reality) worldbuilding. What is your current WIP about, if you don’t mind my asking? πŸ™‚

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@pursuewisdom

Weeeellll…let me see if I can write a blurb for it. (warning: I’m terrible at blurbs):

Rin Adachi is an Outcast.

One of the many scorned by the high-class society and government system of Chicago city. Struggling to make it. Desperate for life. Fighting for justice.

Rin wants to do all she can to thwart the government’s plans to rid the city of the Outcasts, to restore equality. Helping Taro, the man that took her in when her parents disappeared, she tries to do just that.

But it’s hard. Very hard.

When all she wants is a normal life, to be a normal girl…with a family again. Surely her parents knew she needed them. Desperately. Where were they?

Life as an Outcast is hard. Always on alert. The police always suspicious of you. Watch your step. Head down. Keep your place.

But Rin can’t just stay in her place when Supervisor Langer of her home district releases a new plan to ‘purify’ the city, as a favor to the loyal citizens. He releases an army of cyborgs on the Outcasts to rid the city of them. Rin and those she cares about most are in danger of capture or worse.

Things get even more difficult when she has to trust a strange cyborg girl who might know the secrets to her parents’ disappearance, and a government soldier to save her people.

And there it is. πŸ™‚ How about yours?

www.jennaterese.com

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@pursuewisdom

Technically I’mΒ not a Sci-Fi writer but I have a book that’s planned out in my head that I’mΒ planning to write that’s Sci-Fi.

(I also enjoy reading Sci-Fi. Although that’s not really relevant, so… I’m just gonna… go… now… *teleports out*)

"You can dance with my henchman."

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@kari-karast

(xD I’m sorry if this sounds rude but your username is really funny… in a good way πŸ˜‰

Alright. Back to business. That’s sounds cool! Yeah, my WIP is a sci-fi and I’m still in the outlining stage right now.

What books and authors are your favorite in the SciFi genre? I’ve not read a ton in this area, but my favorite so far is Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s and Ender’s Shadow series.

Do you think you may be able to use any of The Christian Theorist’s ideas/hypotheses? https://6tscience.wordpress.com/ultramatter/

(And feel free to share your WIP premise if/when you wish – I’d love to know more about it. πŸ™‚

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@jenwriter17

(Sorry for not responding for such a long time – somehow I must of missed the notification about your post until recently when kari-karast commented and I skimmed over this entire thread.) Ooh! Nice blurb! πŸ™‚ How far along are you in your WIP? I love your MC’s name! I can’t seem to be able to come up with good “sci-fi” names for my people.

Hmm… unfortunately I don’t have a blurb yet because I’m still trying to figure out my basic plot points. πŸ˜› But to give you some information about it, I know it’s about a group of scientists trying to determine how to prove to the world that human clones possess souls and are individuals who should have basic liberties such as life and ability to choose what they want their lives to be. Have you heard of Never Let Me Go or Blade Runner 2049 (2017 film starring Harrison Ford)? It’s similar, but I’m trying to focus on the “scientific” or “philosophical” aspects of the human souls and cloning instead. πŸ™‚

Do you have any favorite sci-fi books and/or authors you like to read to learn from and get inspiration?

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

Here’s a question for y’all Sci-Fi writers/readers:

Who’s your favorite character in this genre, and why? πŸ™‚

@jenwriter17

@kari-karast

@evelyn

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by PursueWisdom.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@elizabeth

I hope you don’t mind (if you do – I shall take your silence to mean so), I’m including you in here since I see in your signature that you’re a sci-fi writer too. πŸ™‚

Here’s a question for y’all Sci-Fi writers/readers:

Who’s your favorite character in this genre, and why?

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@pursuewisdom

I’ve really only read Star Wars when it comes to Sci-Fi reading(I think). But I’ve read a LOT of SW and loved it. My fave author for Sci-FI would definitely be Timothy Zahn, just because, he’s awesome. And books, THE THRAWN TRILOGY. Ahem. Thrawn is best. That’s all I’m going to say.

Hm. I might be able to. I’ll have to see.

Well. It’s notΒ that planned out yet. But basically it’s hopefully going to be a book in the middle of the series I’m writing. Basically my character, 18 year old Kari, portals to a new dimension. A new world. A world that’s completely covered in city, especially skyscrapers. (think a lot like Coruscant if you’ve seen Star Wars)

Kari has no idea where she is or what’s going on. She tries to find out and gets captured in the process. A member of the royal family finds out and gets Kari released. Then the pair become friends and other stuff happens. Including Kari getting AWESOME TECH and learning a LOT about hacking. And yep. Lots of adventure.

Hm. Favorite character. GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN. THRAWN. THRAWN. *slight amount of fangirling* HE’S THE BEST VILLAIN IN THE HISTORY OF ALL VILLAINS EVER. Ahem. Sorry. He’s just written really well. And he isn’t evil for the sake of being evil. Actually, he isn’t even evil. He’s just trying to protect the remnants of the Empire he served in. HE’S SO FREAKIN AWESOME.

"You can dance with my henchman."

overcomer
    @overcomer

RESOURCES! *pounces like a cat* Thank you! πŸ˜€

I’m a fantasy writer who is being turned to the sci-fi side of the Force. XD

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

Ooh nice — thanks for sharing!

I’m an all encompassing writer of sci fi and fantasy and contemporary and a lot of other things too. πŸ˜›

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@pursuewisdom Thank you! πŸ˜€ I’m usually terrible at coming up with names, so I was super happy when I stumbled upon this gem of a name, Rin. πŸ™‚ *whispers* Pinterest is great for finding names. πŸ˜‰ I’m about 27k words through the book, and not even halfway through my outline. (I actually may only be a fourth of the way into my outline O.O )

Ooh, your book sounds really interesting!!!

I LOVE Nadine Brandes’ futuristic dystopian theΒ Out of TimeΒ series. πŸ˜€

My fave character in this genre? Probably Parvin Blackwater, from the series I mentioned above. πŸ™‚ She’s just soΒ real, and relatable, and her struggles and faith have so many elements that I can relate to. Best female protagonist I’ve ever read.

www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.