fb

Brainstorming topic for Worldbuilding and stuffnesss to aid each other

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Brainstorming topic for Worldbuilding and stuffnesss to aid each other

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Heyyyyyyyyy this looks familiar XD

So anywho I hav questions and stuff and if y’all do you can also put them here, tag to ask certain people, and such. *nods* Oh and answer each other’s stuff, that too. Like the other brainstorming one but specifically for Worldbuilding. *nods again*

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emma-walker

I wonder if this one will take as morbid a turn as your plot brainstorming one did. xD

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@noah-cochran we shall see.

I was gonna ask y’all’s opinions on one of my villages. And yea, it may get morbid who knows. XD

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

So I have a village, and there’s a certain tradition they have when it comes to marriage.

Every four years, on a certain day, they will have what is called.. *coughs* The Auction.

Any guesses where this is going?
    Girls and women eligible (ages 16+ (And single)) are locked in shackles and chains by their families, and are sold to the man who bids highest, and the man marries who he buys.

It is a small village, but it’s also a good location, near the sea, and ships come and go a lot. Many men who participate are sailors, although some live in the village and do something else.

I thought of this, and it has been the basis for the stories I’ve been writing lately (If you have been doing the CUC game on a different topic, all my characters are in that, or connected to it.) I thought it was an interesting concept and went with it, and I have some friends who agree with me, and have enjoyed the stories, but I’d like other’s opinions.

@noah-cochran
    @erynne @anyonelse

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emma-walker

O_O

That’s all I’ve got right this second, I shall reply more appropriately soon.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@noah-cochran Yep.

Erynne
    @erynne

Wow Emma. That’s kinda sick but I like it. This thread could be very useful! The idea I mean it’s just so original 😉

@noah-cochran

Surely you aren’t referring to me *stares at you with the most angelic eyes you’ve ever seen*

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne cool, thanks. 😀

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@erynne

Surely you aren’t referring to me *stares at you with the most angelic eyes you’ve ever seen*

*stares back with a raised brow and a dry smile*

Perhaps, but you had help in the form of Cathy.

I had quit looking at that thread, and then I glanced through it yesterday, and was like “wow, didn’t see that conversation coming.”

But it looked like y’all were able to have a mutually encouraging conversation.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Lolol @noah-cochran

Erynne
    @erynne

@Noah-Cochran

*attempts Flynn Riders smolder*

Well I truly wasn’t looking for pity or anything so I hope it didn’t come out that way. I really just needed help coming up with ways for my characters to grieve because I plan on killing some people. I am the unattractive homicidal clown chicken after all.

Yeah me and Cathy are going to connect very well. She emailed me and we are talking through Pinterest now. I’m just waiting on her to respond *cough* @this-is-not-an-alien 😝

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@calidris

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@emma-walker

So I have a village, and there’s a certain tradition they have when it comes to marriage. Every four years, on a certain day, they will have what is called.. *coughs* The Auction. Any guesses where this is going? Girls and women eligible (ages 16+ (And single)) are locked in shackles and chains by their families, and are sold to the man who bids highest, and the man marries who he buys. It is a small village, but it’s also a good location, near the sea, and ships come and go a lot. Many men who participate are sailors, although some live in the village and do something else.

If you want to make slavery a big issue of your story, then this is not a bad idea even though it is a horrible aspect of the world. I plan to make slavery a scourge in my world. There will be roaming bandit armies pillaging and enslaving the unprotected lands. My story will start out with my MC preparing with his soldiers to put an end to them and will go on to make it a crusade to free everyone to help create a better world. I probably will not say what exact mistreatment the slaves will suffer from besides the beatings and whippings most slaves back then suffered. I will let my readers figure what happens to women slaves. It is unfortunately not hard to guess what their fate will be if they look at today’s issue. Though it is horrible, it is a real problem and the way you depicted it is not far from today’s issue with slavery. There are probably more slaves today than there was ever before. I read an article from 2019 that said 71 percent of today’s slaves are women and 25% were children totalling around 40 million. Pretty sad but true.

I will make my slavers rue the day they thought of enslaving.

A real hero remains accountable until the end.

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions I can do more with this world mechanic. In my story, I plan to have my world full of crystals for many resource uses. The most important one is a radioactive power crystal that makes up the planet’s core. It will form into crystal formations in caverns near the surface, connected to growing tendril/veins from the core. It can used for tools, weapons, energy source, and tech in general. As tech knowledge grows, they will discover they shape and tune the crystal with electronic like symbols and line you can find on electronic boards to program it to act in a specific function. One aspect several have thought was cool, was that the crystal has some sort of moral reaction when used, if it senses someone’s intention when fighting someone are honorable and true, it will react positively and in a way enable that person to be empowered by the embedded crystal’s energy. The crystal is embedded with the metal that is mixed with a special alloy that makes the metal conductive to the crystal’s energy, essentially it becomes one.

However, if it senses murder and anger, it will react in a way that makes the object the crystal is imbedded in become very heavy and unwieldy. It is like it is programmed to naturally respond that way, though with huge effort it can be corrupted if you have a corrupted crystal. I would like to mirror the way Tolkien did with Sting and Glamdring in how they naturally reacted. It is a bit magical but I hope to give it not a personality but artificial intelligence like it is a computer reacting to an action, though it can sense a user’s thoughts.

My world-building origin for it is that God created the crystal and used it to fix the planet after he rebuked one of his angelic like servants (stewards) who almost broke it in anger. The angel repented and self exiled himself to live among the inhabitants to learn what does it mean to truly be a steward of this planet and why is it so important. Once the crystal was placed at the core, its massive energy radiated across the planet, causing mutations to the inhabitations and substances along with the radioactive effects that originally were coming from the planet’s cracking crust. This cataclysm caused terraforming like event that did not destroy the surface but altered it, it still seems like earth with lots of crystalline material things gleaming in the light. It also creates a force field like canopy helping with terraforming change and also serves as a way of protection against cosmic events like intense heat and radiation.

What do you think? Any suggestions how you would possibly give a visual description when the crystal is being used with an object like a sword? What kind of light or sound effects when activated and why?

A real hero remains accountable until the end.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@storysmith it’s not slavery, it’s just the way they do the marriages.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Emma Walker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest