fb

Brainstorming, Anyone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Brainstorming, Anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@emily-waldorf  You’re right, that would be weird… Would the second idea work? Like he’s a fair-weather (boy)friend, but as soon as she’s going through a rough time, he’s outta there?  Like he wants her to be all cheerful and make him look good, but when she starts to have to lean on him, he doesn’t want the pressure.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@k-a-grey that sounds better. 🙂 I like the “fair weather (boy)friend”–it made me smile, lol.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emily-waldorf

some of you don’t know me, but I know you. (Creepy alert!)

😂 I love it.

Well Emily, I’m Noah, I don’t believe we’ve really met, so nice to meet you. 🙂

What’d I miss? Or is there anything specifically I could try to help someone out with?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@noah-cochran

I don’t know if we’ve officially met, Noah, but I remember interacting with you a minor amount–perhaps this puts you in the “Creepy Alert” category. ;D

You missed 3 pieces offered for brainstorming: K.A. Grey’s, which was a scene she wants to flesh into a story, Inkhorn’s–she’s having problems with motivation, and my own, which is a story concept (blurb) in which I was looking for help with the villain’s motive.

Feel free to comment, post your own, or just stop and look. Since I’m the one answering you, I would (not) consider it below my dignity to put a plug in for my work, I would say I specifically need help with my villain’s motivation.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emily-waldorf

Alrighty, so if I’m understanding correctly, you need a nefarious or avaricious reason for Kyle to have been dating Andrea in the first place.

Hmm…the contemporary college setting is rather constricting. Did Kyle break up with Andrea because  she lost her eye sight? (i.e, did her use dissipate because she could no longer see?) If yes, than here are my thoughts:

Popularity gain is out in any form, because as far as I can tell, no one else cared about Andrea.

Monetary gain doesn’t seem realistic in this setting.

It really depends on how criminal-like you want Kyle to be. If you want him to be more like a normal college guy, then maybe he was using Andrea to look settled (for the benefits of his parents? but that doesn’t really work with the whole blind thing). He could have been using Andrea to help cover a money laundering or drug dealing scheme, but that doesn’t make much sense, because a blind girlfriend might be even better in that scenario.

Because of the whole ‘she went blind, he breaks up with her because of that event renders her useless’ thing, I’m going to have to create scenarios where Andrea is special in some way before her blindness sets in. These will change your character a lot, but if Kyle truly as a reason for her that is made moot by blindness, she needs a quality that…well, was made moot by blindness. xD So here we go:

Andrea is exceptionally skilled at reading people, and Kyle uses this skill to help him in con artistry? Something else nefarious?

Andrea is very intelligent, but because of her naivety, Kyle uses her to get through college (somewhat cliche, I know)

We’ll see if I can come up with a few more, but am I thinking along completely wrong lines of thought? (aka, is this what you were wanting, or did I just make several erroneous suggestions?)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@noah-cochran

Thanks! Those were all good ideas. The monetary gain really is out of the picture with this genre. Too bad.

It really depends on how criminal-like you want Kyle to be

I can’t decide how criminal I want Kyle to be. I’m not imagining him as a crook, and I don’t think this story needs the subplot of a crook, but maybe it does.

One of my problems is that Andrea is supposed to go blind in the very first part of the book, and Kyle doesn’t break up with her until the middle (B/c that offers a plot twist.) Do you think that has to happen? Or, if it does (b/c I really want it to), is it okay if he’s sorta hanging in there, talking with her on social media or however they communicate, but when he actually sees her he breaks up with her?

I mean, I could make him this control-freak jerk who just wants to control Andrea, and her blindness is perfect b/c she’s dependent on him more. But when he comes to visit her at the camp for the blind, he realizes that she’s becoming independent there, so dumps her.

That sounds plausible but like LOTS of work to write.

Thanks again!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@emma-walker

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@jared-williams

Didn’t tag you all in the first post, but thought you might want to be tagged. 🙂

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

@emily-waldorf

Reading the original post of your book idea blurb, I didn’t get the idea that Kyle was a villain. You could argue he turns into an antagonist, perhaps, but even then it’s debatable. He presents a trial and struggle for the protagonist… yes. But I don’t think you need to make him evil to make your story work. From what it sounded in the blurb, Kyle sticks with her after she is blinded, but then dumps her while or after the camp.

Here is an idea that sounds very natural to me in that circumstance. Have Kyle be the regular boyfriend you find out in the real world. Your protagonist loses her eyesight, and Kyle becomes the supporting boyfriend during that (with perhaps the strain and stress of taking care of her showing in certain ways). Then she goes off to camp. TO go into Kyle’s perspective… the stress and pressure of taking care of her is gone. He’s free. He enjoys his freedom and that surprises him and begins dreading her return. He finds someone else on campus or perhaps just reunites with old friends he didn’t have time for before because he was so busy taking care of her. The longer she’s gone, the more he enjoys his freedom and the more he dreads her return, leading to the desire to break it off. If that makes sense? Nothing big or evil or spectacular, but very very natural and realistic (at least, in my mind…)

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emily-waldorf

From everything you added there, Jared’s idea (or something like it) would work far better than mine. However, Jared’s idea makes Kyle far from an antagonist (breaking off a relationship for good reasons is good, not bad), so if you want Kyle to be villainous in some way, then you’ll have to find something bad that causes Kyle to to dislike Andrea’s independence–which is the reason he dumps her, if I’m understanding you correctly.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@noah-cochran and @jared-williams  and @k-a-grey thank you all! I think I found something that could work with all of the input you all gave me!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@jared-williams

@k-a-grey

@emily-waldorf

Here’s one for y’all:

A fantasy world in a medieval-like era. This world is brimming with geothermal energy and tectonic shifts, and is constantly rent by earthquakes. Often, these earthquakes are far more than normal earth quakes. Some have ripped pieces of land apart creating huge trenches, others have thrown land masses into each other, creating sporadic, and numerous mountain ranges. Volcanoes are also numerous. I won’t go into the truly fantastical elements of this world, but suffice it to say, they are related this geo-power.

Here’s what I could use ideas on:

Firstly, in what ways would the flora and fauna (real-life/earth-like for now) exist and adapt in this world, especially in areas that are rife with such earthquakes and land shifts? And yes, the ways they adapt or survive can be completely fantastical (such as roots that shift with the ground).

Secondly, what technology, defenses, societal behavior, or anything people related would you imagine humanity would develop in a world like this? (again, especially in more dangerous places of the world)

Any ideas would be appreciated. 🙂

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@k-a-grey

Soo, the first thing I thought of is that she’s actually insane, and her family is desperately trying to bring her back down to reality. So one day she thinks it’s aliens, another day it’s noxious gases being released, but she’s clearly unstable. So once she finds the truth, she will basically destroy her own inner world, which her family is terrified will also destroy her.  (Is that a weird idea? I’m sorry, I can’t think of anything else right now.😂😂)

That’s actually a pretty cool idea! While I probably won’t be able to use all of it, I might be able to use some of it. 🙂

@emily-waldorf

Yeah, I should have been more descriptive. The setting, so far, is realistic though that world is much more innocent than our world. While the people there are not perfect, every person genuinely cares for each other, and things such as wars have never been conceived in their minds.

I want the thing that the girl (I really to name her XD) finds to, in a way, wound their innocence. What I’m having trouble with is what that thing is and how it takes away their innocence. I’m trying to come up with ways that are more realistic and not “a powder that’s been released into the air turns everyone into savages.”

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi Emily (@emily-waldorf),

Thank you for tagging me! 🙂
    we are about to go on a vacation, so I may be late getting to respond.  I hope that is okay.

I have been stuck for a bit.  I have a scene where there are twenty members in a traveling party who are strangers to each other, and only a few of them have given their names.  I am not sure how to bring in more names of the other characters without overwhelming the reader, even if I develop their side characters a little later along the way.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this so that the unnamed characters don’t just seem to blend in?

I think perhaps we’ve all experienced this at some point.  Finding ourselves in a large group where you don’t know anybody.  Kind of like going to a new church for the first time, or a new school.  Finding yourself in a group where you were divided up by random numbers and you had to meet strangers and were a little nervous about it.
    I do need some thoughts to help me get at least five or six other names of the group and may have some later introductions come out in the course of the story at another time.  Sometimes so pairing or trios happen naturally, but I need that to happen in a short period of time.
    There are a team of manhunters coming after this group as soon as the storm lessens, and it is a tense time for this to be unfolding, because all of them will be on the run together, most of them riding in the equivalent of a covered wagon.

Any thoughts, ideas or personal experiences are appreciated.

I personally tend to be quiet in groups, so I am not really good at this.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@inkhorn Ahh, okay, I see what you’re trying to go for now.  My first idea might not really work then. 😂

So, this is giving me The Giver vibes.  Also maybe  The Matrix.  And I can kinda see the archetype of opening a forbidden secret, like Eve in Genesis or Pandora in Greek mythology.

What if she stumbles upon a website containing the secret thoughts and deeds of everyone in the world?  At first she is only curious about people she knows, but she starts to dig deeper and deeper until she discovers much darker secrets, making her doubt the innocent world she lives in.

@noah-cochran
      I think that since it’s such a volatile place, the plant life would have to be really resilient.  I like the idea of the roots being able to shift. Also, what if they also have the ability to retain a high water content, so it has a self-cooling system to help with the heat.  As for animal life, what about a lot of hoofed animals, that can stand the heat on their feet for at least several seconds without getting injured (unlike a dog, with vulnerable pads).  Also very nimble, like mountain goats, able to leap from place to place. Flying creatures would probably be able to survive better too. The animal life would probably also be sensitive to vibrations and temperature changes.

As for humans, I’m kinda imagining that they would be somewhat nomadic?  Living in tents or moveable structures, able to move quickly to safety. Perhaps they would also rely on some animals to “predict” earthquakes or volcanoes.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

This is a brilliant idea, Emily, but I don’t think I have the time to commit right now. 🙁 Thanks for the tag, tho!! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest