fb

Brainstorming, Anyone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Brainstorming, Anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

I don’t know if there is already a forum for brainstorming on SE–I couldn’t find one. If someone knows the location, please tell me and this thread has outlived it’s usefulness. Otherwise, shall we all brainstorm together? I have an idea we’ll post what we want brainstormed and comment on each other’s.

1) Post at least one comment before asking for comments.

2) Technical word limit is 2000 (unless there’s a SE guideline that puts the limit below this). My personal recommendation is under 1000, as most people (myself foremost) prefer to read shorter things.

3) Abide by all Story Embers rules and guidelines

4) This is brainstorming, not critique. We’re offering suggestions and tips. Those tips might include suggesting a change, but this is not the place to come with a finished product you want help editing, this is for the roughest of the rough drafts; the times when you’re stuck.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@emily-waldorf  This seems like a great idea!!  I get stuck a lot in my writing, so having other people help me brainstorm would be awesome!  Would anyone mind if I go first?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@emily-waldorf

This is perfect timing! I’m brainstorming for another book and having a bit of trouble on figuring out some points.

Also, your quote from Bach is AWESOME!

@k-a-grey

I wouldn’t mind in the least.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@inkhorn Okay, cool!  I’d love to help with yours too, so do you want to trade comments?

Okay, so for anyone that’s subscribed to the SE newsletter, recently Hope Ann sent a May Long Challenge with this picture prompt:

I wrote a little scene, and my sister loved it so much, she wants to know the rest of the story.  Problem is, I don’t know the rest of the story. 😂 Thoughts on where I should go from here?

In our world, when men die, their souls go to the mirror city. The mirror city hovers directly above us, a constant reminder of the inevitability of death. We are a grim city. We are a grim people.
    My father went to the mirror city when I was eleven. I remember that day very vividly. I knew that the moment he took his last breath, the Reflector would come, with his hot air balloon, to carry my father to the mirror city. Still burned into my memory is the silvery-blue robe of the Reflector as he carried the limp body of my father into the basket. I watched the balloon rise in a slow spiral, knowing I would never see my father again.
    We fear the Reflector. We hate the sight of his silver balloon with its nauseating orange banners, always soaring above us, a reminder of doom, of death, of sorrow. I used to wonder, as a child, if I could ever sneak into the basket when the Reflector wasn’t looking, until I heard of some fool who really did it. The man was crazed with grief over the death of his mother, and jumped into the basket just as they were taking off. Some say that the Reflector pushed him out, some say that his lungs couldn’t handle the altitude change. Either way, he was a lost soul. Lost souls are those who take their own lives instead of waiting for the Reflector to come. Lost souls disintegrate in the mist, never to enter the mirror city.
    There are no clouds in our world. When the weather is foul, a thick reflective surface obscures our view of the mirror world. We look up, and instead of seeing the city where the souls of men dwell, we see–ourselves.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@noah-cochran

@irishcelticredflowercrown

@rose-colored-fancy

@mwcoutugmail-com

@ebyountsgmail-com

@denali-christianson

@embers

@joelle-stone

@erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

@crazywriter

@r-m-archer

@jamesnoller

Hi guys! You don’t have to do anything here, I just tagged you all to get some visibility, and b/c I know other people need this aside from me. Tag anyone you want to, if you want to. Some of you have interacted with me on here, some of you I’ve never met, some of you don’t know me, but I know you. (Creepy alert!)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@k-a-grey thanks! I’m glad you started this thing rolling!

@inkhorn

I figured others were in the same place as me! Thanks, I love it, too. It’s supposedly his last words.

I was working on the post full of tags and you were both in it, but you beat me to the punch. Thanks a ton!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@k-a-grey

Okay, cool!  I’d love to help with yours too, so do you want to trade comments?

That would be great!

I wrote a little scene, and my sister loved it so much, she wants to know the rest of the story.  Problem is, I don’t know the rest of the story. 😂 Thoughts on where I should go from here?

First of all, that’s a really cool concept about the Mirror City!

Perhaps for the story you could have it revolve around two people, one who is trying to escape death/the Reflector while the other knows that soon they will be caught up by the Reflector.

I honestly have been racking my brain for more ideas, but my brain decided that now was a good time for a lunch break. XD If an idea happens on me, I’ll send it to you posthaste.

@emily-waldorf

🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@k-a-grey

First of all, that is amazing! The ending just so–*weird writer’s chef’s kiss*–so grim and gloriously terrible. Okay, so a couple of suggestions. You have an amazing idea, but no story (because what you have is just a scene). You have the potential to really go places with this story, though. You already have a sympathetic character (because he/she lost their father). You need goals for that character. What is he trying to obtain internally? What is he trying to obtain externally? Are they trying to destroy the mirror city?

You also need stakes of some kind. (what’s the consequences if your character fails to achieve those goals?)

And a plot twist, which I…better not try to help you with b/c I am BAD at plot twists.

So those are the elements you want to be looking for. I think it would be really cool if your character knew something about the city (or found it out: plot twist??) like the Mirror City is really not the place the souls go, it’s all just a fallacy and the people who live below are being duped. (Ever seen the movie Oblivion? That’s the vein I’m thinking in). Maybe the people who run the mirror city have the ability to make people appear to die, and then steal them for their own nefarious purposes. Your character could know/find the city’s secret, and seek to overthrow the Mirror City and free the “souls”. Or…something??

Hope this gets a real thunderstorm going on in your brain. (Okay, that doesn’t sound pleasant. I am lame at puns.)

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@k-a-grey

Okay, I’m not sure about this idea, but here goes. I’m thinking along the lines of It’s a Wonderful Life. Your character is so overwhelmed and frantic with life that she/he wants to go to the Mirror City. The Reflector surprisingly agrees to take her on the condition that she stay in the building that connects the two cities. She discovers that she is able to see into the other city. As she watches the city, she sees the consequences for her actions unfold.

I hope this helps. 🙂

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

Thank you both so much!!

@emily-waldorf
      Those are great ideas!  I’ve never seen Oblivion, but I’ll look it up!  Yeah, I do want the MC to uncover the secret of the Mirror City, but I’m not sure yet whether I want it to be actually sinister, or just *seems* to be sinister.

You need goals for that character. What is he trying to obtain internally? What is he trying to obtain externally? Are they trying to destroy the mirror city? You also need stakes of some kind. (what’s the consequences if your character fails to achieve those goals?)

Those are great tips, thank you!

@inkhorn
      I love It’s a Wonderful Life! It’s one of my family’s favorite movies. I do want my character to have a run-in with the Reflector, so that might be one way to approach it. 🙂

Thank you both for your help and ideas!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

The story I’m brainstorming goes along the lines of this. Girl receives cryptic message saying that the world is need of saving. Girl immediately sets off on a journey to save the world against the wish of her parents. Don’t worry, that’s not the end. I have several spins on this plot that include

1. It’s told from the girl’s older sister’s POV

2. The girl is endangering the world by trying to save it

3. The girl’s family will not sit idly by while the girl runs off to “save” the world

The main thing I need help with is exactly how the girl is endangering the world (it’s kind of important to the story XD). I have a loose idea that the girl is searching for something that was expressly meant to be kept unknown.

@k-a-grey

It’s a Wonderful Life really is a great movie though I found it a tad bit too long for my taste :/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Inkhorn.
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Okay, so I’m working on what’s called a concept or blurb. It’s what you’d find on the back of a book, but it’s also my first step in creating a new storyline. The object of a concept is to make sure the story has the 5 foundational elements of a story before you actually start writing. It’s not as fleshed out as a synopsis, even, but concept, synopsis, and outline stages all run together in one massive headache for me.

So, the 4 elements (there are 5, I only use 4) I’m looking for are:

1) A Sympathetic Character with 2) Believable Goals. 3) High Stakes and 4) A Plot Twist.

So here’s my concept. If you could bear those points in mind, I’d be really thankful!

Andrea Krim just doesn’t seem to fit, even though she’s pursuing her dream of a BA in Piano Performance; nobody wants to talk to a small-town girl in a big city college; except her trendy new boyfriend, Kyle.

On her way home for Christmas break, a bus accident robs her of her eyesight, her dreams, and her chance for a BA in seconds, and Andrea has to look the bleak future in the face: a future with nothing but Kyle.

When another semester finds her attending a camp for the blind instead of the Music Academy, looking on the bright side of things is no longer an option, even with the camp owner’s son, Casey, befriends her.

When Kyle finds out that his chance for ____? is gone, he breaks up with Andrea.

Will she ever find the acceptance and confidence she craves?

Can she learn to trust Casey as a friend–or more than a friend–with everything that’s happened to her?

Okay, so you noticed the ___ space. That’s because I need Kyle to break up with Andrea (because he’s a selfish jerk) but I don’t know why. He was only in the relationship because he thought he could get something off Andrea, but what? Money? It’s not like her BA is a get-rich-quick scheme, exactly. Thoughts? Oh, the genre is contemporary fiction, with a smattering of romance.

I’ve never learned the art of brainstorming, so forgive me if I’ve made you at a loss.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

The main thing I need help with is exactly how the girl is endangering the world (it’s kind of important to the story XD). I have a loose idea that the girl is searching for something that was expressly meant to be kept unknown.

Are you looking at realistic fiction? Speculative fiction? Sci-fi? I just want to know because that will determine how she’s endangering the world. If you want it to be realistic fiction, you could try something in the nuclear field. (The antagonists need her to save the world because her father engineered a nuke plant and she has a photographic memory) yadda yadda.

if it’s speculative, it could be that she’s got an evil clone and they’re actually looking for the clone; or that she has contact with an organism that lives beneath the earth/sea and the bad guys need to harness the the organism’s energy to “save” the world, but they are actually going to destroy it.

Or sci-fi…ask someone else. I don’t write sci-fi. But I think you get my drift now. Finding out the genre will be helpful, I think.

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@inkhorn  Soo, the first thing I thought of is that she’s actually insane, and her family is desperately trying to bring her back down to reality. So one day she thinks it’s aliens, another day it’s noxious gases being released, but she’s clearly unstable. So once she finds the truth, she will basically destroy her own inner world, which her family is terrified will also destroy her.  (Is that a weird idea? I’m sorry, I can’t think of anything else right now.😂😂)

@emily-waldorf
      I’m assuming Kyle is a really shallow person (I mean, how can he not be with a name like Kyle?😉), so what if it’s a really shallow reason, like the accident deformed part of her face, and he doesn’t want to be seen with her anymore.

Or, if he’s a less shallow person, what if she’s really depressed and angry and isolating herself after the accident, and he just can’t handle the negativity.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@k-a-grey

I’m assuming Kyle is a really shallow person (I mean, how can he not be with a name like Kyle?😉), so what if it’s a really shallow reason, like the accident deformed part of her face, and he doesn’t want to be seen with her anymore. Or, if he’s a less shallow person, what if she’s really depressed and angry and isolating herself after the accident, and he just can’t handle the negativity.

That first idea was kinda what I had in mind for a while, but I’m not sure now, because she goes blind right away (first 1/4 of the book), and I don’t want him to dump her until the middle. Would it be weird for him to hang on to her for a while and then be like “Yep, nevermind. I actually decided that you’re ugly so I’m gonna break up with you this weekend.”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest