fb

Blogging: To schedule or not to schedule? Other advice?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Blogging: To schedule or not to schedule? Other advice?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Evelyn
    @evelyn

Oh dear… I hate self-promotion. Haha, guess I’d be pretty bad at self-publishing. 😛

Anyways… *coughs*

Hey everyone! I just started a blog.  Okay, my second one. Please don’t judge me. (And I severely apologize for the judgement I used to deal out on other bloggers who did the same. I understand now. 😛 ) My first blog was a book reviewing site I started years ago when I was eleven. Yeah… xD

Since then I’ve changed a lot and I’m trying to take my writing seriously now. So I’m taking a fresh start. *takes deep breath* (:

I’m hoping for advice; looking for tips. Is it best to set a posting schedule? Is it best to have a certain post series? Or is there something else I should do?

I’m wondering if setting a goal of posting every *wednesday/saturday/whenever* would be good to help keep me accountable in my writing.

Advice? (:

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Having a posting schedule is definitely helpful. It keeps you accountable and keeps you from ending up silent on your blog for weeks or months on end, but it’s also helpful for your readers to know when they can expect posts from you.

Post series are good sometimes. I don’t think it’s great to have a series all the time, but they’re definitely good to do now and then, and they make things easier on you because you know you’re writing on a certain theme for X amount of time. (I’m doing a worldbuilding series through February and March, for instance, so I don’t have to decide which of my bajillions of post ideas to schedule for that time; I can just write the next post of that series.)

If you set a posting schedule, it’s also helpful to have a set day of the week when you write and schedule your posts for the coming week. (Or a certain day of the month you write posts for the next month, or whatever works for you.) This is especially true if you’re posting multiple times a week, but it’s also helpful if you’re only posting once because it keeps you from scrambling to write a blog post at one o’clock in the morning to put up the next day (most of the time).

OH! And something that’s a personal pet peeve of mine, but really depends on your priorities. If you want to drive traffic (and make things easy on readers like me who use Pinterest to collect all sorts of articles), make your featured images pinnable. Put the title of the post in clear print, and you’ll ideally want to put your blog name on there somewhere so that it’s easily identifiable as yours. This can be tedious, though (depending on what program you use), so if traffic isn’t a big priority for you yet then you can overlook it. (It actually really bugs me that none of the awesome pinnable images that Story Embers uses are actually on the pages of their posts, because that means I can never pin their posts unless I find them already pinned. But it’s really just a personal pet peeve. :P)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@r-m-archer Thank you! Your response was very helpful! (:

Yes, at the most I would probably only post once a week. Is there anywhere in particular you suggest posting a schedule?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@evelyn I put mine in the “About” page, since that’s where people are automatically going to go to learn more about you and the blog. 🙂

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@r-m-archer Okie. (:

Thank you!

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@evelyn Oohh, these are really good questions and answers. I don’t have any answers for you, though, sorry. If you don’t mind I’ll stick around to gather information, though? 🙂

Also, does anyone have recommendations for which site to start your blog? I have one on blogspot but I hate how frustrating it is. Then I tried to start one on WordPress yesterday but I have no idea how it works..

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@bama-rose I use WordPress. Personally I don’t have a whole lot of trouble with it, but 1) I’ve been using it for five years or something and 2) I tend to be one of those people who just messes with things until I figure out how they work. XD You’re using WordPress.com, right, not WordPress.org? What are you mostly having trouble with? I’d be willing to record a video walkthrough for you. 🙂

Another option is Wix. I’ve never personally used it, but from what I’ve seen/heard from people who have used it, it’s fairly easy. Although most of what I’ve seen is the design of a site, not how setup or posting works aside from the design. It might be worth looking into?

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

yeah, I’m using the .com version.

That would be awesome if you could do that!! It’d be really appreciated.

I’m mostly not sure how to add page links.. I don’t know what they’re called. Like where you can click “Home” or “About” or “My Books” and it takes you to another page. I also don’t know how to put a subscribe button on or how to see how may subscribers I have (although obviously I have none ’cause I haven’t posted anything yet! .. 😂). Or what tagging is, like tagging other blogs?

So yeah, things like that. 😃

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@bama-rose

Awesome. I’ll have it done in half an hour, max. 🙂

Tagging, like for blog tags? (The Liebster Award, Sweet Tooth Book Tag, etc.) You just list the bloggers you want to tag and link to their blogs, and then let them know you tagged them. There’s no actual tagging like on a forum.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@bama-rose No I don’t mind. 🙂

Actually, my previous blog was on BlogSpot, and I switched over because there are way more options and features with WordPress.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

Half an hour!?! Awesome!!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@r-m-archer Unless, she’s referring to the tags on posts. It took me a while to figure out the difference between the tags and the categories. 😛

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@evelyn

Yeah I got SO frustrated with Blogspot; the formatting never did what I wanted it to and it was so complicated. Also, it seems like alot of people like WordPress better so I decided to give it a try.

@r-m-archer

When I go to make a post there is a little button that says ‘tags’ with a down arrow. When I click on the arrow it says ‘add new tag’.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@bama-rose

Ohhhhh. Those tags. Those are like keywords. You just type in whatever keywords you want the post to have (separated by commas) and then it makes them easier to search, and if you use the same tags over and over then a reader can find all the posts you’ve used that tag on by clicking on it at the bottom (or top, or wherever it goes with your theme) of the post. 🙂

Categories are for if you know you’re going to be writing on certain topics a lot. For instance, if you’re going to be blogging writing tips and book reviews, those would be two categories to set up. That’s also to make things easier for readers to find related posts.

I just finished the video. It’s working on exporting, and then I’ll have to figure out how to post it here. Fair warning, I forgot how to set up a subscribe button and had to figure it out again, so there are a couple minutes in the middle of me just fumbling around trying to find where you do that. XD

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Here’s the video. Let me know if the link doesn’t work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest