fb

Blogging Advice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Blogging Advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

Hello, fellow writers! Β I’m probably the zillionth person on here asking for tips about blogging, but here I am. Β I’ve thought about starting a blog for awhile now, but now I think I might have the courage to finally try.  😬

So, without further ado, a few questions for you bloggers:

• How can you gain followers and keep them interested?
    • Which platforms would you recommend to create a blog? Β (I see a lot of people using WordPress.)
    • Can you earn money blogging without having to pay a certain amount monthly to keep your blog up or having to plaster your blog with weird ads?
    • What are some things you’ve learned not to do?

Tagging some bloggers I know of: Β @evelyn @emma-starr @eden-anderson @mariposa-aristeo @chalice @jennwriter17

Thanks in advance!

(This has got to be the awkwardest thing I’ve ever written. xD)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by K. A. Grey.

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
    β€œMost people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@k-a-grey

Nice to meet you! I’m Alabama.

I’m a blogger, but not a very confident one, lol. I am subscribed to this topic to learn what I can. πŸ™‚

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@k-a-grey Hey great questions! Let me go through and share my personal knowledge on some of these topics. I’m afraid don’t know what to say in response to question 1 and would have to think longer on question 4, butΒ  I think I can help with the others.

Platforms

Thing about WordPress: its free and the easier one out there to use to create a good site. But it has ads (unless you pay basically what WordPress is getting from the advertisers), It’s quite frustrating and honestly I have trouble reading blogs that do have the ads. “Weird Ads” like you said and they take away from the experience. Additionally they took down the cheapest paying option recently, so no more just $3 a month for new users who want a clean look with no distractions from a picture of “foods you must stop eating right now.” Or worse. πŸ˜›

The free and ad-less platforms I know of are Blogspot (Google’s) and Weebly (if you don’t count the blue banner at the bottom of the page that says “Weebly” as an advertisement).

My first blog was on Blogspot and I used that for a couple years. Some people say they can’t stand to use it but I didn’t find it that difficult. The reason I left was because there weren’t many options in designing the blog like you want it to look like. The templates are pretty outdated. However if you want it to look nice, there are a ton of downloadable templates from $5 to $20 on Etsy. Which isn’t bad at all. Especially considering how long you will use your blog.

If you want to have a more in depth description of what it is like to use Blogspot vs. WordPress or just one or the other, let me know and I would gladly explain further! I spent a lot of time researching this kind of stuff many times in the past and it is very time-consuming and hard. I’ve found its best to talk to someone who uses the platform to really get a look at what it’s like.Β  πŸ™‚

As for Weebly, I’m afraid I don’t have any experience there.

Earning money without ads

Partnership! I’ve never done this myself, but basically if you have a good amount of followers you can ask say Amazon to send you a book to review and then review it. They will give you a special link to direct readers too and a small percentage of sales through that link will go to you. Tea/jewelry/clothing-piece … whatever it is!

I’m not sure how to get started on this, but I know some people around here have done it, so I’m sure they can explain further.

I hope this helps! And I can’t wait to hear more about your coming blog. πŸ˜€

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@k-a-grey Blogging! One of my favorite subjects! πŸ˜€

I’m definitely not an expert on gaining followers, but one of my biggest tips would be to post consistently, even if the posts are pretty spread out. Readers will know what to expect of you. You can figure out what content your readers want to see by asking questions, conducting surveys, etc.

I definitely recommend WordPress. It’s the only thing I’ve used, but it has worked out well. And if you can, I also recommend starting a self-hosted site (.com instead of .wordpress.com). I use Bluehost to host my site (and yes, there is an annual fee with that). Also, the plugin Jetpack has been AMAZING and makes everything a bit easier! But I believe the free version is only available for self-hosted sites.

As for making money, I haven’t really researched that much. Off the top of my head, ads are one way. Then there’s affiliate links for different companies (I don’t know much about that), and things like courses, services or ebooks you’ve created that you could sell.

Here are some blog posts I’ve written that might help too πŸ™‚ :

HOW TO PLAN GREAT BLOG POSTS IN 5 STEPS + FREE PRINTABLE

DO THESE 6 THINGS BEFORE STARTING A BLOG

YOU HAVE 5 SECONDS…

HOW TO CREATE BLOG POSTS READERS WILL ADORE|GUEST POST BY LIVY LYNN

Also, Abbie Emmon’s blog is a great place for blogging tips!

Some things I’ve learned NOT to do:

• Copy other’s blogging style.Β It takes a bit, but eventually I learned to write like myself instead of trying to copy other bloggers, however successful they are.
    • Not schedule content.Β My favorite thing about WordPress is that I can write posts ahead of time and schedule them to automatically post at a certain time on a certain date. It’s so nice to be able to take a day to write a bunch of posts and then not have to worry about it for the month.

I could really go on and on about this subject, but I hope I didn’t overwhelm you! πŸ˜€ I’d be happy to help with any other questions you have too, if you’d like. πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to see your blog someday!!!

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@k-a-grey YAY!! You’re thinking about starting a blog! Go you…that’s awesome! πŸ₯³ I will subscribe when it comes into being. πŸ˜„

I’m still very new to the blogging world so I don’t really have any advice. The only thing I’d suggest is to just be yourself and have fun…people are attracted to stuff they know isn’t forced. (at least in my limited opinion. πŸ™ƒ )

Wish you the best!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

Thank you all so much for the amazing feedback! Β I’ve still got a lot to learn and research myself, so I may not even get a blog up as fast as I thought I could, but everything you all have said has been super helpful. πŸ˜€

"Atticus, he was real nice. . . .”
    β€œMost people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest