fb

Blog Readership is Dropping

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Blog Readership is Dropping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @snapper

Hey guys!

I know I haven’t been on here much of late. But I’ve been busy. Trying to keep up my blog, to finish editing my book, publish some other things ( I was rejected, yay ) and schools been winding down.

I’m going to try to be on here more during the summer though.

But this can’t wait.

My blog would appear to be losing readership.

Although I haven’t lost any followers (except maybe one), I have lost a lot of viewing and visitors. How can I keep people coming back, like my blog enough to invite other people to come over?

How do I keep people commenting and all that while not sounding pushy or annoying? Because this thing of building a reader base is not easy. XD 😛 Not in a long run.

Also, if any of you do happen to visit my blog, please follow! It would be such an immense help! Thanks! 😀

So if you can be a blog doctor and see what’s up, here’s my blog link. Snapper.

@daeus-lamb
    @kate @elizabeth I’m not even sure who to tag anymore *cries*

*quites crying these dragon-fiery tears*

*melts chair instead*

*melts chair*

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@snapper, what do you post on your blog?

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Snapper
    @snapper

@nuetrobolt I mostly post about writing. Once in a blue moon I’ll post about books, a tag or about life. But mainly writing.

*melts chair*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew My story is about a boy and his sister whose drawings come alive! It’s so much fun to play around with. 🙂 After a while the two kids are drawn (excuse the pun) into the drawing’s paper world. It’s great fun! 😉

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Woah! Sorry guys I just posted that in the wrong forum!!! Oops! 😛

Evelyn
    @evelyn

That’s terrible sorry about that! XD I’m so absentminded! I had to make a mistake one time or another here!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@snapper My advice on this is to be yourself and post what you want to, and not to blog about something because more people will come and read it, that will just make you miserable… blog about what you are excited about. Blog about what you would want to read. And then the right readers will come along for you and even if you don’t have hundreds, they will be dear… well that’s my advice. (And sorry about posting that ealier message in the wrong forum… I can’t figure out how to delete it! XD)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@snapper Just followed. 🙂 (I thought I already had… Apparently I misremembered.) I don’t know if this is something you’re already doing or not, but putting together pinable images for your blog posts so they can be shared on Pinterest has helped my traffic a LOT. Since redesigning my blog – and with it my post images – my traffic has jumped from maybe five views per day to anywhere from 15 to 100 views on a normal day and hovering around 100 fairly regularly. My highest day so far has had 877 views. (To give that a frame of reference: My all-time views are a little over 11,000 at this point.) And the vast majority of that traffic comes in from Pinterest. (I can give more detailed advice on how I use Pinterest to increase traffic, if you’d like.)

Unfortunately, I have no tips for influencing them to comment or follow. I’ve done all the things that people suggest for converting readers into subscribers and it hasn’t worked, so all I can advise is how to get more traffic, and traffic isn’t particularly helpful if you’re not getting subscribers. XP I have questions at the ends of all my posts, I have lead magnets for my newsletter list that I put into any post they relate to, I now have share buttons at the bottom of my posts (as of just a couple days ago, so I don’t know for sure how much they are or aren’t doing) and I still get very rare comments and subscriptions, so I don’t know. 😛 Hopefully someone else has advice on that front.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Oh, another thing I’ve found lately is that excerpts are more likely to get comments than writing advice posts are. Which is frustrating when writing tips are the bulk of what you blog. XP During April I participated in an alphabet blogging challenge, so almost every day of the month I wrote a post with the title beginning with a letter of the alphabet. (An A title on the 1st, a B title on the 2nd, a C title on the 3rd, etc.) and I made as many of them as I could story excerpts to work on my writing muscles and have some fun looking at various started stories of mine (some of which I hadn’t looked at in years) and they got a lot more attention in the comments. As I’ve continued writing excerpts to post on Sundays (picking random stories I’ve started and writing or editing scenes from them to post) those have continued to get more comments than the writing tip posts or character interviews or the book reviews that I post just as regularly (with the exception of the book reviews that are once every two weeks rather than once a week). You might experiment with posting some excerpts and see what sort of response you get. (But also keep in mind @evelyn’s advice and don’t do it if you don’t enjoy it. You might experiment and find you love it, like I did, or you might hate it, and if you hate it it’s better to not post it and get fewer comments than post it and be miserable.)

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@snapper Four questions to help me know how to best help you:

– Can you quantify how much the follower drop has been? How much of a follower drop is this?

– Who is the target audience of your blog?

– Why should your target audience be coming to your blog? What kind of motivation do you want them to have?

– How are people currently able to find your blog and how are you currently seeking to promote it?

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

@snapper you might try trying to get published on a few major writing websites and including a link to your blog in the bio. Directing traffic towards it never goes amiss.

There there… even dragons have to cry sometime. *hands you enormous dragonish hanky*

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@kate Do you have any suggestions of places to submit to?

@r-m-archer well, here and over at The Rebelution. I’m sure there are other sites out there but I don’t have much experience with them. ;P

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@snapper I’m sorry to hear about your blog. 😢 *Aberdeen pats you on the shoulder* But I’m glad you’re going to be around more (we’ve missed you).

Some of my suggestions are:

1. Try to get published on other sites as Kate suggested. The Christian Writers Market Guide has a list of periodicals. Also, Delight and Be is a place that accepts articles on any creative art (including writing). You could also try guest posting on other blogs and/or having other bloggers guest post on yours and ask them to mention it on their social platforms.

2. Make sure your site isn’t just about talking about what you’re writing, but offers something for the reader—whether it’s information, encouragement, or advice.

3. You could host a giveaway.

4. Try reading some articles and/or books on marketing and platforming. It might help show you what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it.

5. Be willing to experiment. I read in a book once that “50% of marketing works, but no one knows which 50%.” What works for one person might not work for you. Keep trying until you find something you like and readers too. My first 2 blogs were utter failures, but they helped lead me to the right direction.

All in all, platforming does take time—lots of it. You are going to have low spells (like now), but over time your work will pay off. Sometimes it helps to step back to reevaluate things, asking yourself where you’re going and what you want for your writer life.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the commenting because a lot of readers aren’t commenters. KP had around 2,000 subscribers, yet the articles rarely received over thirty comments (half of those being the author responding to the comments 😜).

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Snapper
    @snapper

@evelyn Ah I always forget about that. Topics that I’m actually excited about. Thanks! I try to be helpful, but I can’t be helpful if I’m dragging through it, can I?

@r-m-archer
    Pinable images. I don’t currently have a pinterest, but I’ll see if I can get my hands on one of those. I also need to post more about my book. I plan on sending it to agents this summer, but I’ve talked… none about it on any internet platform at all ???? Just no. XD I’ll work on it.

@josiah
    Ooh, questions. Nice bullet pointed questions. 😉

-Well, I’ve only lost one follower, however the commenting has dropped from 30 to 8, including my responses. 😐 I mean, half of my commenters are other bloggers who are currently taking indefinite or definite breaks from the internet. But I’d like to keep growing my base without depending on other bloggers. Not shrinking it.

-Target audience – young adult and teens – all those who are going to be reading my book when its published. But also writers, teen writers, adult writers, beginning writers, and christian writers.

-Uh. That’s obvious. They should come because Snapper is writing it, and I’m awesome. And if they don’t come, I’ll melt their chairs and their ice cream and their frogs.

-I’m sharing my posts on my facebook page, my twitter and my instagram stories. But twitter is a puzzle. If you have any tips on getting people to interact with my posts more on twitter, please tell me.

@kate
    Awesome profile pic. 😛

Yeaaahhh… I looked into publishing in other websites. I just got rejected. XD I’ll try some more though. *takes dragonish hanky* can’tcrywon’tcrydoesn’tcrycries

@mariposa
    I’ve missed this place too. Goodness, I’ve missed writing too. I haven’t written for months. *dies in a not good way* Ooh, I did see Delight and Be – forgot somehow. *glances accusingly at school* I’ll also try to organize some guest posting.

Thanks everyone!

*melts chair*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.