fb

Better Out Than In

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Better Out Than In

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TanyasCreative
    @tanyacreative

I’ve had a handful of questions swirling about and bumping into one another for a while about this writing thing, specifically how to motivate myself, random thoughts and pleads for support. As I’m growing quite frustration in the so-called writing community on Instagram and question going unanswered as I slip between the cracks once again.

How do you decide to shelf a Wip, do you base it on a want and desire to write? How do you know if your concept/story is a full novel or better short stories, is there even away I’m wondering?

What do you do when you have too many character’s and ideals to do with them that you’re engulfed in the swirling mess of everything?

I guess I just needed to or wanted to express these things where they will be heard as I’m not feeling like I am being heard in with the few friends I have here. None of them write, sure they’re mature Christians but … I don’t know… Wish there was a screamingly clear flashing light that would point blank say, “I want you to write, Tanya” you know. I don’t think I can come out on the other side of another failed creative venture or project after the past.

Have a great week and Monday, or whatever day it is when you’re reading this. 😉

May God bless you!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@tanyacreative Hey Tanya. These are some good questions…ones that I feel like all of us have to answer at one time or another.

How do you decide to shelf a Wip, do you base it on a want and desire to write?

For me, shelving a WIP depends on whether I’m just having a flash-inspiration for a different project, or whether I actually need to wait on it. I have a story that’s been banging around in my head for like 5 years…but I shelved it for now. At first because I was too scared about messing it up, and now because I’m waiting until my current writing schedule for the year is done. I think shelving it all depends on the project and what you think is right for you and your readers.

How do you know if your concept/story is a full novel or better short stories?

Ahh! I relate to this one. Really I think the catch is…can I teach someone this important lesson (the theme of your story) in a few thousand words, or do I need more time to get my message across?

What do you do when you have too many character’s and ideals to do with them that you’re engulfed in the swirling mess of everything?

This happens to me so often.😂  Especially right after I’ve watched a good movie. Usually what I do is either write all the stuff down, or take a walk (away from people) and work it all out-loud. Sharing ideas with someone you can trust also helps. My sister is that person for me. When I get swamped with stories, I just take it, info-dump it onto her and she helps me sort out where I’m going with everything.

I don’t think I can come out on the other side of another failed creative venture or project after the past.

I kinda know that feeling. I’ve been writing ever since I was a kid, but I’ve never “finished” anything. One important thing is to remind yourself that you’re not a failure just because your stuff doesn’t look like everyone else’s or because you didn’t meet your own expectations. I struggle with seeing reality sometimes…I did my first real story contest this last year, won, and instantly felt like I could take on the whole writing world. That’s not true. My writing is going to be rejected sometimes, people aren’t going to always like it, and I’m going to have to work hard at it. But none of those make me a failure. Many times, the difference between success and failure is God. When I let Him do the heavy-lifting, it’s a success even if I fail in the world’s eyes. When I try to do it all myself, I end up feeling like I’m “not enough.” Only God is enough.

Sorry about the ramble.😂  Just know that there’s people out in the world who care about you and your writing.

Not all those who wander are lost.

TanyasCreative
    @tanyacreative

Thank you for commenting VERY much. I’m re-reading it to hope it sinks in fully through my deep thick troubled skull.

It’s incredibly helpful to have someone you can go to in order to dump the ideals on and more so that it’s your sister! So much blessings that is! I only have people online to ideal dump in vent style, which I guess will have to be enough for the time being till God sees fit to bring like minded friends into my world.

I’ve always thought – hoped that there was people out there that care about my writing and want to read it as I know there are people around that care about me, even though I don’t regularly see it. I know Jesus cares and loves me and sends my furry girls to me when I’m sobbing and feeling down. I admit I just need to hear someone read what I express and am building that it’s worthy, exciting or interesting, etc because I grew up never getting that support and validation from my parents.

My spirit is heavy this night. Thank you again for your time. <3

May God bless you!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@tanyacreative

Hi Tanya!

Gracie already covered most of your questions, but I wanted to add something 😉

Wish there was a screamingly clear flashing light that would point blank say, “I want you to write, Tanya” you know. I don’t think I can come out on the other side of another failed creative venture or project after the past.

I completely get where you’re coming from. I can’t count the number of times I’ve thought that I was failing at writing or wasting my time, or anything else like that, but I have to keep telling myself that the act of writing is already a success.

See, there isn’t really failure in writing.

Every second your thoughts drift to your characters, you accomplished something. If you write one word, you accomplished something. If you get even the slightest hint of joy or pleasure thinking about your characters, you accomplished something.

Just make a tiny little goal, even if it’s just to write one sentence. If you’ve written one, you’ll want to write a second, and look at that, you already did twice as much as you planned.

And give yourself grace! If you skip a day, or a week, or a month, or stop writing for months, every word you’ve written will still be there. Writing doesn’t have an expiration date 😉

Your writing only needs to exist, it doesn’t need to be like anyone else’s. I know I compare too much, even though I’m slowly getting better at it. The books you read have been rewritten dozens of times, the first draft was probably awful.

I’d even venture to say that first drafts should be ‘bad’. The prose may be unpolished, there may be plot holes, but it exists, and that’s all that matters. If you try to write a publishable book in your first draft, you’ll only get anxious and overwhelmed. Nobody will ever see your first draft, nobody even has to know it exists. It’s only for you and it doesn’t need to do more than exist.

Just put one word in front of the other. You’ll get there, and you have all the time you need. You’re doing great, you’re doing enough, and your writing is important 🙂

Anyway, hope this helped at all 😉

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

TanyasCreative
    @tanyacreative

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you for your comment they really struck a cord with me. Thank you.

May God bless you!

TanyasCreative
    @tanyacreative

I’m itching to know if being published, having a book in second or fifth draft would fill this buzz, this elation at reading or thinking of how mighty God is? I hate to admit it but the back of my mind I wonder if I were to get past my inner critic that getting a to point of being published would make me feel like I haven’t wasted the past 44yrs and God’s gift of creativity was put to good use. A lot of what ifs…. I signed up to Camp Nanowrimo in July, trying to to do 40K. Feeling left out and over looked tonight by people and slightly by Jesus..

May God bless you!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@tanyacreative

I’m glad I could be a bit of help. Life can get so overwhelming sometimes (especially with COVID and all that), but God is with us.

One thing to remember when writing is that it is as much for you as it is for readers. There will always be someone who is ahead of you and has the “perfect” writing life. For example, I see people on Instagram writing 1000 words in 30 minutes, whereas I’m doing 1500 in 2 hours. I see people finishing 3rd drafts, getting publishers, and celebrating “book birthdays,” and I haven’t finished the first draft of my first novel.

But all that doesn’t really matter. God has me here for a reason.

One thing I find helpful sometimes is to write what I need to hear. When I’m feeling down, I write a story for someone who feels the same way, but I put hope at the end. I resolve the conflict, and it gives me hope that my life can be that way too. I can push on, get through the hard days, and I will be okay.

One last thought…God doesn’t want us perfect. He takes us broken. Actually, our weariness, frustration, hopelessness, and all our imperfections bring Him glory. Sometimes, on days when I wake up angry with the world, instead of praying “God help me to honor you today,” I just ask Him to shine His light through my cracks today and to glorify Himself in all the struggles I’m going to face. It’s not up to me to be “perfect” for Him…He never asks that, and I can never be that…I just need to give Him what I have, what I am, tired sobby mess and all, and He makes it beautiful.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest