Beta Readers for Dystopian Retelling of Les Miserables

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Beta Readers for Dystopian Retelling of Les Miserables

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ariel Ashira 3 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

Hello Story Embers folks,

A good deal of you will know about my WIP/baby, known as The Stars Fill Infinity. 

Well, I’m currently editing it, for the third time, and I’m preparing to do another round of edits, before sending it to a professional editor. I’m hoping to have the final edits for this draft finished by May 31st, and then I’ll be sending it out June 1st to a select number of beta readers.

So, what am I looking for in a beta reader?

I’m looking for five new readers. I’ve already had two different sets of readers look this novel over, so I’m confident that I have caught a great many of the mistakes, and I’m just looking for five new sets of eyes to give me their opinions.

What sort of critique am I looking for?

A general one, focussing mostly on plot, theme, characters and setting. However, if you feel you are gifted in the area of line edits, I would be most happy to accept your suggestions in that area.

I know that several people have already expressed an interest in being a beta reader, so I’m offering them priority. I believe it was @eden-anderson @selah-chelyah and @ashira who mentioned it to me before?

But otherwise, if you’re interested, let me know! I want to stick strictly to five, but I’ll definitely have more beta reading opportunities coming up soon. Basically, it’s first in first-served. I would want the feedback returned by the end of June, so you’d have to be able to read fairly quickly.

Before I go, just a few content cautions:

Lots of violence (I wouldn’t describe it as graphic, but it could potentially be triggering to some people), mentions of prostitution, an illegitimate child, one MC is an unmarried, teenaged mother, a few mentions (and one non-graphic scene) of attempted rape/sexual assault. 

I think that’s it. If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I’ll try to answer them.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@seekjustice I’ll beta for you! I can have it read and returned by end of June.

taylorclogston.com/learn-how-to-write

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@taylorclogston

Thank you so much! I forgot to mention it in my original post but I meant to put a call out specifically for male readers, since I haven’t had any so far and I’d love a bit of feedback on my male characters.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice Aw, thanks so much for tagging me!! I would love to beta read for you! I will do my absolute best to finish reading it by the end of June.

How long is the book? And are you gonna just e-mail the whole thing or how am I going to read it? (Sorry, I’ve never beta-read anything for anybody before.🤦‍♀️)

Okay, I think that’s all my questions.😛 Thanks again for tagging me. (Also,I feel like I haven’t seen you around here for awhile. It’s lovely to talk to you again! *squishes you in a hedge-hug*)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@eden-anderson

I think you’d expressed some excitement over reading it? Pretty certain it was you anyway 🙂

Its currently 100k, but by the time I’ve finished my edits, I’m hoping it will be between 90-95k.

I don’t mind. I’m happy to work either with Word Doc or Google Doc, depending on which is easier for you.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice Yeah, that was me.😁 I always thought your story sounded super cool and so I was excited when you said you needed more beta readers. (I actually just finished reading Les Mis for the first time. It’s amazing!)

Okay, awesome! Word Doc would probably be easier for me…hopefully that doesn’t inconvenience you.

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@eden-anderson

Ah, awesome! You’ll be in the perfect headspace to read my book then!

Nope, that’s fine. I find that Google Doc tends to misbehave for long books anyway, so its my last resort

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice I hope I’ll be of some help…especially since I get to read your book for free! 😉

Okay, awesome!

valtmy
    @valtmy

@seekjustice

I don’t possess the necessary qualifications and I won’t be able to meet the deadline regardless. But can I still read the new draft? I am dying to know how it turns out. 😣

Taylor Clogston
      @taylorclogston

@seekjustice I don’t have word, but if you save it as an .rtf or an ebook format I can work with that easily. Send it to itaylorclogston@gmail.com whenever you’re ready!

taylorclogston.com/learn-how-to-write

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@seekjustice I think I can do that!  How long is it??

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Serenity
      @serenity

hey @seekjustice! is there still an opening? i can read your book!

fyi i do tend to do line editing, so if you want that i can do it too (=

lover of our Lord, words, and music as his writing tools
      ENTJ
      LOVES COOKIES, KINVES, AND MUSIC!!!!

Serenity
      @serenity

yeah, good point @ashira! how long is it, @seekjustice?

lover of our Lord, words, and music as his writing tools
      ENTJ
      LOVES COOKIES, KINVES, AND MUSIC!!!!

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice

@serenity @ashira

Its currently 100k, but as soon as I’ve finished rewriting two chapters, I’m going through it in attempt to cut it down to 90-95k.

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@seekjustice I guess you need my e-mail?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest