fb

Bad Love Poetry

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Bad Love Poetry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    valtmy
    @valtmy

This is a strange request to make but I need help with writing some bad poetry. I don’t usually write poetry but my current WIP is sort of a romance novel parody so I thought it would be appropriate.

So. Any advice on how to write bad poetry? Or are there any poems/poets out there that you think are particularly bad and could be used as inspiration? 😛

Just tagging some people that I think write poetry…

@scribbles
    @evelyn @libby @rochellaine @silverdragon @lady-iliara

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@valtmy

As long as it’s super sappy, overly complicated, flowery and sounds like it came off a tea packet, it will work perfectly 😛

Did you read @rochellaine ‘s poem from the other day? Something in a style like that (without the intentionally humorous aspect) would probably work.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

valtmy
    @valtmy

@seekjustice

You mean it should sound like it came off my tea packet and not your tea packet. 😛

No, I don’t think I read @rochellaine’s poem. Is it on KP or SE?

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@valtmy

Very true. Unless, of course, your poetry writing character is very concerned with organic tea.

She had a link to it on the Writers Corner somewhere. It could have been the last one though. I’m sure if you asked her about it, she’d give you another link.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@valtmy Yes, I’d go with what @seekjustice said: very sappy. Also overly melodramatic and using the cliched tropes of love poetry (i.e. I love you to the moon and back…. I’d go anywhere if you were there…. You’re like a shining star in the night…)

And, may I just say? A romance novel parody? Awesome! xD

Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@valtmy 😛 I remember you mentioning this back on KP.  Some advice I can give you is use an overabundance of similes and metaphors.  Compare the loved one to everything that is good and over-compare so much so that it is ridiculous, and give no reason for the comparison, but just compare for the sake of comparing.  I’ll give you an example of that:

I love to love my love
    My love is like a dove
    A dove is like my love
    Because a dove is love

…which makes absolutely no sense, but I think that is the point.

Now, “bad poetry” could simply consist of that, making it bad simply because it’s ridiculous and doesn’t make sense, since love poetry is supposed to be lofty and pure.  Or you could go further in making truly bad, by intentionally ignoring structure and rhyme at times, for example:

I love you so much because you are
    Just like a bird who loves to soar
    In the sky above us all
    Oh won’t you please listen unto my loving call?

…in which you see I used a bad “rhyme” between the first two lines, and none of the lines really have matching meters.  I used a true rhyme for the last two lines, because the meter is so bad you need that to assure you it’s still supposed to be a poem. 😛

I hope this is helpful?

@seekjustice
    mentioned a poem I’d written recently, and I think you said you were interested in reading it.  Have you found it, or would you like me to give you a new link to it or something?

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

Sorry I’m late to respond here… This is a fun question. 😀

I second what everyone else has been saying…bad love poetry (or, really, bad poetry in general) is sappy, melodramatic (i.e. dramatic in an insincere way), cliched, and preferably full of awkwardly flowery diction.

And the comment @rochellaine made…“Compare the loved one to everything that is good and over-compare so much so that it is ridiculous, and give no reason for the comparison, but just compare for the sake of comparing.” This is perfect! xD

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

valtmy
    @valtmy

@evelyn @rochellaine @scribbles

Thanks for all your inputs! 😀

Rochellaine, is the poem that you and SeekJustice are referring to the balcony one? I think I might have caught a glimpse of it before. But since it’s lost in the pages of Writer’s Corner, I would like it if you could give me another link. Thanks. 🙂

Rochellaine
    @rochellaine

@scribbles Glad you liked my comment. 😛

@valtmy
    Yes it is. 😀  Here’s a new link.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ra7YHAjJXQBqJGS8_eJvK_giNLWM0kg1sJRX8VEJkHM/edit?usp=sharing

Nonsense makes the heart grow fonder ~ Carolyn Wells

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest