fb

Attention Homeschool Grads

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Attention Homeschool Grads

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

Heyo all,

If you’re a homeschool graduate and looking to mingle…

Kidding!

This isn’t like that at all.

However.

There IS an event coming up in October to which homeschool alumni are invited, and I’d love to see some of us awesome homeschooled writers in one place for a weekend. Regardless of writers being present or not, it’s an amazing weekend of fun, fellowship, and games and LOS (lack-of-sleep, the homeschool drug of choice) and, last but definitely not least, spiritual encouragement and a focus on bringing glory to God.

By name, its called the Ohio Summer Rendezvous, and its fantastic.

It takes place in the backwoods of Ohio, in a lodge and cabins (all meals provided!). Obviously, this brings a bit of a price tag, but it was definitely worth it when I went last time, and I’m planning on making it happen again this year.

I’d love to meet more writers from a similar background; meeting up in person is always more awkward than in the forums! But then after the awkward is done it can be pretty fantastic.

Anyway, I’ll stop yammering and give you guys the link to the site. Its not 100% updated because to be honest this is a kinda smallish event, somewhat close-knit, based on irl friendships, etc… [There’s also a facebook page (I think; I’m not on facebook).]

https://theohiosummerrendezvous.webs.com

I hope this isn’t flagged as completely irrelevant. The main reason I’m saying anything at all is because I think it would be awesome to have writerly discussions IN PERSON, warts and all. 😉 Story Embers is about connecting people to resources, and sometimes we are one another’s resources simply by thoughtful discussion and interaction.

To that end: homeschool alumni are invited to consider attending this event. Registration closes Sept 10 (don’t mind the Aug 31 date on the site, lol!).

Areth,

Karthmin

myths don't die

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@karthmin Ooooh, cool. I think I’ll be out of state around that time, but it looks fun. Thanks for posting.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

RaeMarie
    @raemarie

Cool!!@karthmin I wish that I would be able to attend, but sadly I have to work. 😢 Maybe next year!

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@daeus-lamb @raemarie Bummer! Hopefully it will work out next year!

myths don't die

RaeMarie
    @raemarie

@karthmin I hope so!!

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Apparently I can’t get away from Ohio. Drove down there from New England a couple months ago for a (homeschooler alumn!) mate’s wedding. As awesome as this sounds I don’t think I have another Ohio trip in me =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@karthmin This would be sooo amazing but…I’m waay over in Australia. 🙁 I hope it’s an awesome time!

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@taylorclogston @jane-maree Man, wish you all lived closer!

Also, just a fair warning to everyone that the site I linked to might not be the best place to register through. It has information about past OSR events, but I would look it up on Facebook and register through there instead.

I used the site (because I have no Facebook) and I think I’m going to have to re-do my registration because of that. O.o

myths don't die

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin It looks cool. I’ve heard of it from an acquaintance on Facebook, but that’s the week my brother is graduating from boot camp and I’ll be home watching the kids and teaching school while my parents and sister head out to CA. 🙁 A pity, since I love meeting other writers. I guess I’ll just have to stick to communicating online/through FB for now.

Though I have been wondering; is this something just done in Ohio or is it part of a broader program in all the states?

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@hope-ann Aw, I’m sorry to hear that you can’t make it! 🙁

What branch of the military is your brother graduating from? I have a brother in the marines. His graduation was several years ago, but it was pretty memorable.

Would that acquaintance be Michael Gnizak, by any chance??? We were hanging out a few weeks ago and he mentioned telling some of his Story Ember FB writer friends about the OSR…

To answer your question… no, this is not part of a bigger program. It’s something unique to Ohio. 🙂

myths don't die

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin My brother is in the Marines too. This is the second one. Another one graduated last year… Textbook ESTJ, so that was interesting. This brother is an INTP though, so I’m looking forward to talking with him and actually getting information about boot camp and such.

Yeah, Michael. *shakes head* He ought to be a recruiter or something. I’ve told him I didn’t have time enough times that I’d probably not have come on pure principle even if it wasn’t impossible. XD Though if there were enough other Story Ember writers…

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

Wow! Two brothers in the Marines! That’s pretty cool. My brother has been in for several years now and has worked up to Corporal, I think (don’t quote me on that, though…).

You’re rattling off the MBTI types like nobody’s business, but I have no clue what they mean. 😀 I know my own type (and the ways I don’t quiiiite fit it), but I have very little clue what the others mean. O.o It’s not something that has ever truly fascinated me, but yet I always find it an interesting topic of conversation…

Yes! Michael totally should be a recruiter for the OSR. XD He’s the one who reminded me that it was happening again this year, and I got inspired to attend again (after two years of not going because life was just so crazy).

Lol, if it’s really just about the Story Embers writers, maybe we could all try to do a Story-Embers get-together sometime?!? Local to Ohio, maybe, for the sake of logistics… 😛

I know I would love to do that, after meeting Daeus earlier this year and really hitting it off well with him…

myths don't die

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin  *ducks head* sowwy… I find types fascinating. Though I don’t put as much stock by them as some people do. They’re more an underlying foundation of how someone processes things, then circumstances, people, etc. shape the person (or character) into who they actually are.

Yeah, it made me laugh. You can’t get out of anything with an ‘I don’t think so, probably not.’ It has to be a straight ‘no, I have more chance of going to my own world than making it there’. It does look like a lot of fun though.

An SE get-together. Sounds amazing. But, ya know, Indiana is pretty central too and there are lots of us here too. It’s even called the crossroads of America. Plus, they have great knife laws. So maybe if I found a venue in the northern section…

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@hope-ann Oh, don’t apologize! I completely understand why people find types so interesting! I’m not one of those people who despise them, because I think they do have a (limited) usefulness in self-discovery and improvement.

Haha! He’s persistent, all right. And yes, as far as my experience goes, it’s quite fun, indeed.

Indiana, Ohio, it’s all the same to me. XD Although Ohio is better, as a state. But for an SE get-together I have little preference. Wherever the people are, there I will follow, haha!

I’m a little thrown off about the knife laws. What’s significant about the knife laws in Indiana? 😛

myths don't die

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin eh… nothing really. I just love the Indiana laws on things like weapons and such. Pretty simple compared to places like Michigan or *coughs*Illionios*coughs* I, umm, have daggers and things. Some places have a maximum blade length limit. Not sure about Ohio. It might be pretty good there. *innocent blinking* What was this conversation about again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.