fb

Article about non-perfectionist rewriting

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Article about non-perfectionist rewriting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Though I completed it later than I’d have liked, I finished an article about what step to take after finishing a NaNoWriMo draft. It talks about iterative rewriting and the value of achieving “good enough” instead of fixating on perfectionism.

I recently got a job writing articles about anime, and this is my first try applying the training material to a post about writing!

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@taylorclogston

Happy New Year, Taylor. How was your holiday?

Congrats on the new writing job; I look forward to checking your article out.

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

your reCAPTCHA hates me.

But I loved the article!!! *Except that I feel attacked by it XDDD*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

HA I HATH DEFEATED reCAPTCHA!!!!!

*ahem*

I go now XDDD

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@imwritehere1920

Thank you! I spent New Year’s Eve with a splitting headache, but the next day was pretty nice. I hope the new year is treating you well too :-}

@this-is-not-an-alien

Good job defeating recaptcha, lol. Glad you liked the article! Hopefully if you felt attacked that means it sparked a writing idea =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@taylorclogston

Yikes! I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m glad you’re feeling better.  🙂

@this-is-not-an-alien

SHE HATH PREVAILED!!! *thunderous applause by the masses* XD

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

Excellent article!

The goal is “good enough,” rather than perfection.

Oof, my mind doesn’t like that line! XD But you called out one of my biggest problems: getting stuck getting each paragraph absolutely perfect instead of moving on. I like how you pointed out that sometimes a “pretty paragraph” might actually need to be cut, but we don’t realize it cause we spent so much time and effort on it.

Also, I noticed you’re using the platform Medium. I’ve been thinking about joining it (or a similar platform). If you have any advice or thoughts about it, I’d love to hear them!

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@k-a-grey

I have the same problem =P I was writing an article with a very particular word count the other day, and I eventually realized I had to cut my favorite paragraph, despite it being snappy and punchy, because it did little more than introduce a concept the audience was already familiar with.

Regarding Medium, I’m very new and don’t have much advice. Here are my thoughts:

• I’ve tried to use YouTube as sort of a replacement mailing list for a few years now. I published my first story on Medium last January.
    • I have 59 subscribers on YT and 9 followers on Medium.
    • My last video on YT (a critique of worldbuilding in Fawkes by Nadine Brandes), from April of last year, has received 50 views, hardly any of which were my subscribers. About 33% of viewers watched all the way through, while almost everyone else quit within one minute.
    • I published the article in the original post of this thread on December 31. It’s received 19 views so far, and 63% of people read all the way through. This article, since it mentions NaNoWriMo, probably has much more universal appeal than my Fawkes video, but there’s still some manner of comparison. My previous article, on intertextuality in Disney movies, had 11 views after publishing November 6th, but had 55% read-through.

(Generally, I’ve had much better visibility on Medium than YouTube. I intend to repost all my YT videos about writing theory and craft as articles, and assume they’ll do much better in a few months than they did over a few years as videos.)

• Someone can read a few Medium articles for free each month, but then are prompted to pay for a subscription. You can get around this by opening the article link in a private browsing window, but there are a couple side effects:
      • People you share your articles with on social media, etc. may not be able to read the articles you send them if they’ve already read their free articles for the month.
      • Medium users seem to have a bit more skin in the game compared to other social media (and adjacent) platforms. You may see better engagement on Medium than on similar platforms.
    • Medium lets people sign up to receive email updates of your articles, and you can export your email subs to add them to an author mailing list.
    • Once you have 100 followers, you qualify for the Medium Partner Program and can earn money based on article views. I’ve not reached that count, but I’ve apparently qualified for two cents of earnings? I’m not entirely sure why that would be. Also, if you land a new subscriber (by them subbing to read your story or subbing when prompted after signing up for email updates) you get 50% of all money they pay in subscriptions in the future.
    • Medium gives you some control over how your articles look to readers, though nowhere near as much as WordPress or other software you’d host yourself.
    • There’s a tiny bit more legitimacy to Medium than to other blogging platforms, though it’s still a platform any random person can write on.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I spent New Year’s Eve with a splitting headache, but the next day was pretty nice. I hope the new year is treating you well too :-}

Oh no, poor thi–*cough cough XDDD*

*ahem*

That’s too bad, but I’m glad it was gone by the next day! <3 <3 <3

Good job defeating recaptcha, lol. Glad you liked the article! Hopefully if you felt attacked that means it sparked a writing idea =P

Lol, yeah! It definitely did! Or at least editing ideas like not trying to rewrite and ‘clean up’ in the middle of writing a draft…although I really really can’t think/write/anything in a liner way like top to bottom, left to right, first to last.

I just started reading with animators they do “keys” and have a set of ‘important’ motions broken down first. Then there’s the smaller motions to enforce the motion with a secondary one. And then the “in-betweens”, and that got me thinking another way I can try to write;

I can write the “key” scenes like the climax and the turning points in character arcs first, with the “secondary” scenes that set them up and lend more of the emotional impact and provide some of the key context. Then I go in for the “in-betweens” that connect the plot line and spend time investing in the audience connection with the setting, characters and thematic questions. It’ll ALL be messy and I’ll have to “clean up” EVERY scene when I finish but I’ll force me to have a clearer idea of the plot so I’m hoping that’ll give me a more holistic instead of perfectionistic view of my WIP…

So it sparked that! I hope that’s a good idea I know I’ve had worse…😁

SHE HATH PREVAILED!!! *thunderous applause by the masses* XD

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! *gives exaggerated bow. topples over.*

The goal is “good enough,” rather than perfection. Oof, my mind doesn’t like that line! XD But you called out one of my biggest problems: getting stuck getting each paragraph absolutely perfect instead of moving on. I like how you pointed out that sometimes a “pretty paragraph” might actually need to be cut, but we don’t realize it cause we spent so much time and effort on it.

True dat true dat XD

@taylorclogston

*Reads everything on Medium and YT and files it away intrigued…*

K. A. Grey
    @k-a-grey

@taylorclogston  Wow, that was a much more detailed and informative response than I had expected! 😂 Thanks for all the information!  Like Cathy said, Imma file this all away for future reference too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest