fb

Art

Forums Art Art Critique Art

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@katthewriter That’s tough. :/ Maybe there’s an adult in your life who would mentor you?

I don’t use it (I’m not an artist ;)), but I’ve heard ArtPal is good.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@daeus-lamb

In writing, or friends? And no,  not really.

No, haven’t you published a book?  Do you not have a website your selling it on,  or are you traditional published? I just need to figure out selling website.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@katthewriter Ah, you want to sell from your own site. Well, that would be easiest if you’re selling digital art. You can sell physical art, but you’ll have to ship it too. It might work better to use a print on demand company.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@daeus-lamb

I know. I’ve already shipped it

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@daeus-lamb it has texture. I don’t want it printed. I care more about the qaulity of each then the qauntity. Every painting will be a little different.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Oh, you’re selling individual prints?

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@daeus-lamb

What do you mean by prints?

It’s real painting. Acrylic texture art.

Like this. And I’m starting on a new one for my grandma tonight.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

And started on a new one

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun

I just think of i raise the prices nothing will sell

Anonymous

@katthewriter

I understand how and why you think that.  I’ve been right there and struggled with that feeling. What I’d like to recommend, looking at this through a retrospective lens of experience, is that what you feel is exactly that, a feeling.  Feelings and truth don’t always line up.

You feel that as soon as you raise your prices, no one will pay and no one will buy your art.  There is a nugget of truth within that feeling but bear with me as I elaborate.  Yes, you raise your prices and fewer people may purchase your work.  That’s exactly what should happen. It is far better to set prices where you can make enough to cover your supplies, costs, time and set aside a little. YOU AND YOUR TIME ARE VALUABLE.  Anyone who tells you differently is looking to take advantage of you.

You do not want to be known as the cheap artist. Let me repeat.  Being the cheap artist is a hole that not many can ever climb out of.

It’s a label that hangs around your neck.  It is far better to be known as a quality artist than a cheap one.  It becomes so that no one will pay you more.  They know you’ll do it for cheap, so why would they ever offer more? The world of patronage and those with deep gold filled pockets has passed us by.  Patreon is trying to revive that but that’s rare.

You said you’re doing art just for your personal enjoyment.  That’s really wonderful.  You shouldn’t be under the pressure and force of trying to support yourself with an income based on your artwork.  That’s an incredibly tough place to be.  Absolutely enjoy your art but set yourself up for success.  You can do it as a side business now, amazing.  Start well so that maybe someday you can make a full time go of it.

This doesn’t mean charging exorbitant prices.  Nope.  Just prices for your time, energy and talent.  Not everyone has the same talents.  Selling art is someone being willing to pay for your talent. It’s an interesting exchange that goes way beyond money.

If you are interested in other specifics, I’d love to talk.  I’ve literally been exactly where you stand.  It’s difficult and overwhelming.  My art is a side business but I am a practicing professional.  I hard to learn a lot of this the hard way but it’d give me great joy to help others out.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun

How is that how it should happen? If few people buy i have no money,  and then i can’t get horse riding lessons.

I have no incom. 20 dollars for something is way better then no dollars. The amount i usually make in a week is like 10 cents or 50 cents when I’m cleaning and i find change that no one else cares about. So going from$0.50 to $15.00 or $20.00 in a week is a ton.

Should i just put up every price like 5 dollars?

$20.00 for the 4″6 ?

$25.00 for the 8″10 ?

$35.00 for the 12″14? (though i might not make any of these.  I’m not sure how much i like doing it in such a big form. I might use them to make seashell art. But those would be different prices. Idk)

Like i said shipping takes about a 4th of the price of each but that’s okay. The 8″6 was like $7 something to send.  And the 12″14 was $11 something. Which is pretty cheap cuz its by weight and they are light. But even if the 12″14 was only $30 id still have $18ish left over. If its $35 I’ll have more. Which is plenty for my canvases. Canvases are the only thing I’m buying. I got so much paint for christmas. I’m at least good for like 15 more paintings. More if I’m making small ones.

But i don’t want to feel like im taking more than i deserve. I don’t want unhappy costumers. I don’t want people saying their 35 dollars was not worth it.  In a lil just starting company. One bad mark will send you off.

Well its cuz i want money to do some stuff. But yeah.  Actually this whole started cuz i showed this 12″14 blue tree to my friend and said someday i want to sell stuff (and even though its not that great) she asked to buy it,  and after that a friend reqyested one (and i made the figure under the moonlight) then decided maybe i could sell stuff now. . XD

I don’t think it’ll ever be full time. I want to gentle horses as a buisness but I’m obvioudly not able to do that yet, so in the meantime i need a job. And I’m probably not gonna get the internship i want when we move because even though I’m good with a horse on the ground I’m not that great of a rider. So I’m using something else i love to make money, then i can save up and get a few lessons, then maybe next summer I’ll get the internship. Idk. Its complicated.  I love alot of different things.  Horses, art, photography, writing,  and crafts.

What is a good price then?

Wait do you sell you art? ?then yes please teach me how!  XD

Anonymous

@katthewriter

Some barns would let you trade work for lessons.  Or a Christian horse camp might also be looking for help/volunteers and you could gain experience that way.

Yes, I sell art. Traditionally, as in commissioned works and online, via Society 6.  Hence offering the advice.

I think the simplest thing for you would be to charge the shipping extra. If I buy art, I always expect to pay extra for the shipping.  That price has nothing to do with the artwork.  Sorry, I just realized that today!  If I ship something, it’s always extra.  Look to do commissions locally too.

Also, it’s difficult to sell anything online if you don’t have a portfolio.  People like to buy or commission things based on seeing what you’ve already done.  Building a portfolio is great though: you get to practice and then have stuff to sell.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun

There’s no Christian one here. Anyway i can’t afford just volunteering. The internships you get lessons alot cheaper. But even to internship i have to be a certain level of goodness.  Though i called the lady who owns it and i think she liked me!

Idk what that means, but cool!  XD

No.. that price does include the shipping.  The only people I’ve sold anything to don’t live here. If it didn’t include shippinh it would be way to expensive for what i give them.

Ik. Which is why I’ll learn how to take cool pictures of my work to put on Instagram  (my slight photography skills might come in handy! )

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun

Thanks for trying to help.  Sorry.  I’m stubborn

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

*stumbles into thread*
    I am very late. 😅
    What’s up? Is there anything I can do to assist?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • The forum ‘Art Critique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest