fb

Are you patient?

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Are you patient?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patience
    @patience

Hello everyone.
    My name is Patience and yes, I get asked that question a lot. You virtue named folks KNOW what I’m talking about. The funniest and most frustrating time I was asked this question was over the phone. Someone from India working in customer service said, “You must be very patient then. Am I right? Am I right?” I don’t remember how I replied, but I do remember holding my breath for a moment trying to figure out how to (not) answer. I keep telling myself that I will slap the next person to ask. But I haven’t worked up the courage. Maybe next time.
    I’ve been making up stories almost as long as I can remember, but have only just determined to stick with it and finish something. I feel that writing is my calling (along with wifeing and mothering).
    I live in the Ozarks. My husband is a blacksmith. We currently have three children age four and under, plus an undercover one (or two, wouldn’t that be cool?) we’re expecting this winter. When I’m not crafting worlds, I have a crazy number of other crafts I enjoy. I’m very crafty.
    So, what goes on here? I joined because I was interested in participating in a guild, but it seems those are no longer active. What are the perks of being a story embers forum member?

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

@patience

Well… you married a blacksmith. Possibly one of the noisiest professions in the world if I’m not mistaken. So… I imagine the name has come in handy at some point. 🙂

Also – GET OUT. Your husband’s a blacksmith!? AAAH (it’s a little nerd pipe dream inside me, that and going to join the Battle of the Nations once I’ve actually a proper career and enough money to put together a proper harness).

Though now I’m super curious about what your husband actually does with his talents. Is blacksmithing a hobby for him (I’ve seen a lot of YouTube blacksmiths who are primarily machinists for their gainful employment) or does he actually make his living from it? What sort of stuff does he make? I know that blacksmiths do a lot more than forge magic swords from fallen stars and all (horses won’t shoe themselves).

Okay, to answer your questions:

It’s a writing forum – we ask and answer questions, share stories and critique, artwork, poetry and every so often we have a contest (for example, right now – deadline is June 31st at 11:59pm if I’m not mistaken).

I do miss the guilds too and the monthly story prompts, but there’s still a lively community of postings and answerings. It’s rare that a new topic will go more than a day before some do-gooder happens along with an answer or at least an affirmation of having seen it, and they’re often way, way faster. To replace the Guilds we have the less imaginatively named Groups, divided on genre, medium, and age (e.g., there’s the obligatory Fantasy Writers group as well as an over 25 group for those of us who have long since left the public school system / homeschooling behind).

The community does skew young, but there are older members and married members as well, more and less advanced writers – it’s honestly a fairly well rounded group, and even our young writers are still quite gifted (hopefully that doesn’t sound condescending) and very helpful.

We are a crafty place – feel free to share them!

And welcome again to Story Embers!

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

claire
    @claire-h

@patience

Nice to meet you! I really enjoyed the little anecdote about your name. 🙂 What kind of stories do you feel called to write? I write historical fiction and fantasy.

I live in southeast Missouri, so we’re kind of neighbors. Congratulations on expecting another little one! It sounds like you have your hands full. 😉 That’s neat that your husband is a blacksmith… What kind of things does he make?

I’ve only been part of Story Embers for a couple of months now, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. SE is a very encouraging community of Christian writers from all around the world. I’ve loved sharing ideas with people, answering questions, giving feedback, receiving feedback, and just getting to know people! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. 🙂

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Patience
    @patience

@the-inkspiller

Thank you for pointing out the groups to me. That sounds like what I’m looking for. I’ll check them out.

So my husband does various construction and welding (today he’s going to help build a rocket mass heater), but he’s primarily known for blacksmithing. He could do it full time if he wanted, but he enjoys variety and working around other people too much for that. 😊 He makes railings, fireplace tools, knives, and custom ironwork. He loves getting unique custom orders. He does not shoe horses, though he gets asked about it often. In the past, it was common for the local blacksmith to do farrier work as well, but these days they are usually two different occupations.

@claire-h

In the wonderful words of S. D. Smith, I feel called to write “Stories to make us brave.” The stories I’ve worked on the most are fairytale, historical fiction, and fantasy. But I also have ideas for contemporary fiction, sci-fi, and dystopian.

That’s cool that you’re in MO. We can probably meet sometime. I’m in south central MO. Do you ever go to the Baker Creek heritage day festivals in Mansfield? My husband is the demonstrating blacksmith there.

Eitan
    @eitan

@patience

Hello, welcome! (Or welcome again, if you’ve been there before 🙂 )

I liked the anecdote about your name!

And Mazal Tov for the undercover baby!

It’s really cool that your husband is a blacksmith!

Tell us about the area you live in. How is it?

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

claire
    @claire-h

@patience

Wow, I love that you are interested in so many genres! It’s nice to have a lot of ideas. (Also my siblings love S.D. Smith, but I’ve never read anything by him… Oops)

Do you have a current work in progress or are you just getting started? I have two different books that are in the development stage… Plotting, brainstorming, character development, etc. I actually posted my first chapter of a mystery set in the 1920s recently if you’re interested.

No, I’ve never been to the Baker Creek heritage festival… It sounds neat! I have visited Mansfield, however, but it’s been awhile! I’ll be sure to let you know if I’m ever in your area. 😉

it just blooms.

Patience
    @patience

@eitan

Thank you! My whole family is excited about the baby, too. 🥳

I live in the country.  The land here is very hilly with a nice mix of pasture and wooded areas. We have lots of oak trees and cedars. One of the neat things about where I live is that you never know what the weather is going to throw at you. I’ve had the air conditioner on in the dead of winter once, and another time I wished for heat in the summer! This year we have had the longest and coolest spring that I have ever experienced. It’s been so lovely.

Where do you live? You’re in Israel, right? What part?

@claire-h

Yes, I do have a WIP. I am focusing on completing a first draft of a story I started at least thirteen years ago. *deep breath * So, yeah, it’s time to get it written! I’m maybe half way through? I think the genre would be considered fantasy, but there is no magic or unusual creatures.

Ooh! I enjoy learning about the early twentieth century time period! I’m more of a 1910s girl myself (it’s the clothes. It’s SO the clothes! 😆), but the twenties are cool too. And a good mystery is always fun!

Eitan
    @eitan

@patience

Your area sounds really cool!

I’m from Israel, right! I live between the Judean desert (which’s full of canyons and cliffs, sees no rain, and is generally uninhabited) and the ”frontier of the desert” (hills, some rain at the winter, a few Jewish cities and many Bedouin settlements).

Your weather is cool? I want to come there!! 😉 In the last week we have a long heatwave, and the temperature is up to 104f right now. But it’s really nice in the evening, when there’s a cool wind.

You don't need to see the wind itself in order to hear the rustling leaves.

claire
    @claire-h

@patience

Your WIP sounds interesting! Wow, 13 years is a long time… That’s great that you are deciding to finish it!
    I’ve been enjoying this spring too! I can’t believe it’s still so cool outside. But I’m not complaining. 😆

That’s so fun that you like 1910s fashion. I’ve always had a soft spot for vintage style myself. When I was 13 I had a Victorian themed birthday party. (Complete with me wearing a hoop skirt 😂) It was quite elaborate, thanks to my grandma. Now I enjoy coming up with costumes for our church’s “Reformation Day” party every year.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by claire.

it just blooms.

Chalice
    @chalice

@patience

Hey! Welcome to Story Embers!! So happy to see you finally joined. 😉 (And hey, you may get the patient question, but at least you don’t have to deal with the whole “are you feeling…Sleep-y?” anymore. 😛

It looks like The Inkspiller already did a pretty thorough job of answering your questions, so instead I’m going to ask you a couple questions: What’s your favorite aspect of writing? And what’s something that inspires you to write?

I’m glad to have you here and I hope you find the forum to be helpful and encouraging! 🙂

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.