Anyone Have Some Duct Tape?

Forums Fiction Plotting Anyone Have Some Duct Tape?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Audrey Caylin 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Snapper
    @snapper

So, I’m plotting my latest and greatest novel at the moment, but I’ve come across a plot hole, and unfortunately, it keep getting bigger the more duct tape I put on it.

frodo

For the sake of secrecy, since I haven’t announced this idea to anyone yet, suffice it to say the government is mostly evil, the radicals are also evil and the main character needs a dramatic climax which I can’t seem to find.

The MC himself is one of those characters who does the right thing but can trip up here and there like any good MC/ 🙂

Here’s what I have so far:

Government possesses item (we’ll call it a Chair for the sake of secrecy) which can control the people. They also have another item (which is Melted) which can undo that control. Without knowing exactly what the Chair and the Melted can do, the MC destroys the government’s arsenal of Melteds and Chairs but keeps one of each for himself and hides them.

The radicals want the Melteds for themselves, and they want the Chairs destroyed.

Sounds straightforward right? The radicals are rebels against the government, the government is being evil, and the MC gets caught in the middle of that.

What would be easiest, most consistent with his character and thematically correct would simply be for the MC to destroy both the Melted and Chairs as soon as he learns what they can do, but obviously that’s wayyyyy to easy and leaves no conflict or climax at all. Boring.

I want the MC to address the theme of the book in the climax (freedom) to its fullest, but I can’t think of a way to make a climax since the solution is already so simple.

What should I do?

@daeus-lamb @josiah @kate @ethryndal @dekreel @catwing @morreafirebird @ashira @ncstokes @mariposa @r-m-archer @everyone

*melts chair*

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@snapper What genre is this…?

"In a mask, was he?"

Snapper
      @snapper

@ashira I suppose I was perhaps a bit too obscure. XD

It’s YA science fiction.

*melts chair*

Snapper
        @snapper

Also, anyone please feel free to ask questions. I haven’t been around here in a while, so I have to get back into the groove of things. 😛

*melts chair*

Ariel Ashira
          @ashira

@snapper Its just that I am pretty much useless with science fiction…

"In a mask, was he?"

Snapper
          @snapper

@ashira Well, it’s definitely not focused on technology. Actually, these people love plants, so if that helps at all ,., ?

*melts chair*

Ariel Ashira
            @ashira

@snapper *shakes head sadly*

"In a mask, was he?"

Snapper
            @snapper

@ashira I completely understand. I don’t get sci-fi all the time myself either. *sigh* Sometimes I wish I could just give a character an axe and not have to explain why. XD

*melts chair*

Catwing
              @catwing

@snapper XD Chairs and Melteds.

What can go wrong you ask? *rubs paws together* You have tagged the right person.
              Kay: Oh, no…

~Have you consider that it was stolen? Maybe even by someone who does not know there power? Or they were stolen separately (if he’s unlucky and got robbed twice, maybe?)?
              ~He locked them in a safe place and lost the key (or forgot where he put the key or lost the combination that he didn’t memorize (really MC guy? Memorize your codes)).
              ~Maybe this wouldn’t work but the Evil Government gets the Chair and the Resistance gets the Melted??? Probably not. This isn’t a very good one.
              ~They’re at an unknowning friend’s house and they are not on good terms right now.
              ~The city containing the objects that he stored in a storage unit is now off limits/restricted/dangerous.
              Kay: Or he could be kidnapped and he has to escape to destroy the objects.
              Or that.

Do any of those help the situation?

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Snapper
              @snapper

@catwing I had to call them something. XD (Especially seeing as I haven’t named them yet).

Thank you! That really helps! *scribbles intently @ notebook *

*melts chair*

Catwing
                @catwing

@snapper Well it was funny. XD

You’re welcome. What could possibly go wrong? 😛

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Mariposa Aristeo
                @mariposa

@snapper Possible twists (dunno if any of these will work 😜):

• MC realizes he didn’t actually destroy anything; those were just prototypes.
                • He discovers every time he destroys a chair something bad happens (e.g., a person’s memory was completely wiped, someone gets hurt or killed, etc.)
                • He learns that he was actually being controlled by a chair the whole time and that someone had used him to destroy all the melted and the chairs.

I hope some of these at least get your gears turning for ideas. 😅 BTW, I love the chair/melted substitutions. 😂

Snapper
                @snapper

@mariposa

Ohh I love these. Thank you!!

I have to say, it’s really funny to hear it over and over again. Oh no! You stole a chair! o.o

MC How could you? 😭

*melts chair*

Audrey Caylin
                  @morreafirebird

@snapper I’m afraid I’m not very savvy when it comes to spicing up climaxes, but here are some ideas that came to mind:

– MC realizes that whoever gets close to a bunch of Melteds and Chairs begins to be controlled by them. (in line with a few of Mariposa’s ideas)

– He sees that the Melteds are really the ones that control people, not the Chairs.

– If he happens to be going on a negative arc, this would be the ideal place for him to see the power he can have if he controls the Melteds and Chairs, and thus end up keeping some for himself (abusing his free will, so to say, if that goes with your theme at all)

– maybe the Melteds and Chairs can’t be destroyed by your typical bomb and each one can only be destroyed by a human freely giving their life (I know, it’s cruel, but it could work). I’m not sure how a solution would come from that, but…yeah 😛

An old-soul bookdragon with a pet phoenix. Probably lost in an imaginary world. http://audreycaylin.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest