fb

Anybody need Character Help?

Forums Fiction Characters Anybody need Character Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Wow! First of all. . . do you have anything of a backstory for why this character is the way she is? Or is she just naturally that way? If you want depth to your character, the best way I’ve found is making their life or their story more complex. Giving them a different way of expressing themselves that makes it interesting, or a different story that caused them to become the way they are. That’s really the only way I would see myself sympathizing with a character like that. Does she have any secrets? Things she’s hiding?

Secondly, think of the villains that you know of that are the most interesting. What makes them that way? What makes them grab you?

I personally think I would have to read the story before I could say exactly what I would do, but I hope this helps a little.

Sold souls and dead promises

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Thanks for the feedback! She really doesn’t have a backstory other than what was mentioned, so maybe that’s the problem.

I’m sure we’ve all known people a like this (though not as extreme, of course).  Any ideas what things in their past might have made them this way?

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Well. . . Selfish people generally have always gotten everything they want, so they don’t know how to function if they aren’t. Like if they were from a rich family, or were an only child. Or sometimes it can come from the opposite, if they felt like they had a sheltered life and were never allowed to do what the wanted.

Rebelliousness and a bitter attitude generally come from the feeling of being ‘sheltered’, not allowed to do what they want.

Hope that helps.

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher Did the advice help? How is your writing going? Just checking back

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Thanks for asking.  I haven’t had the chance to take it badk off the shelf yet.  Trying to get one or two other stories done first.

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher Your welcome. I just try to check back and see how it went. I do that with my stories too.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Great idea starting this thread!!

Ok so here’s my situation: I hardly ever SEE my characters. They’re usually just voices. Which in some cases is fine. But when I want to describe a character (like what they look like), I generally find it hard to do. I have a character developing worksheet type of thing that I’m filling out for a couple characters, which is being VERY helpful, but any advice? Like just in general for thinking up a physical description when I either have only a slight idea, or sometimes none at all?

Also, is there a website or something that has pictures of all sorts of people so I can look for inspiration?? One of my MCs is a very mysterious person, and I tried Googling “pictures of mysterious people” but you know how that goes… The more detailed a search I give, the more confused Google becomes… I know I can people-watch around town and stuff, but sometimes that won’t help for the more extreme characters.

Thanks!

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@anne_the_noob14

For pictures, I’ve heard Pinterest is useful. If you’re like me and don’t have it, I occasionally ask my friends to search for faceclaims. I actually have several folders full of pics, so if you’d like, I can try to help as well. 🙂

"You can dance with my henchman."

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@kari-karast Ah, yes. The mighty Pinterest! I do have it actually. Thank you for reminding me I can search on there, too lol. I completely forgot XD Thanks! I’ll know who to go to when I can’t find anything myself 😉 😀

@anne_the_noob14

Hey! Thanks for asking! Pinterest is a good place. A lot of stock photo sites have good pictures as well. I usually use Pinterest or look at the people in the grocery store. LOL 😆 there are a lot of people that don’t even know what my mind has turned them into. I LOVE visualizing my characters. I actually usually start with what they look like.

@kari-karast
    thanks for the help in answering. I couldn’t get to the question right away. 🙂

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer Lol! Yeah, I’ve sometimes used grocery store people or around town people. And sometimes… *looks around to make sure no one else is listening* sometimes… I even use my friends…. and alter them just a bit… 😀

@bama-rose btw, did the advice about the character help? how’s your writing going?

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

It’s going pretty good, actually! It helped what you said about levelling her out with other good characteristics. The writing has been a bit slow, though, because I haven’t made a lot of time for the actual writing. Right now I’m trying to figure out what other characteristics would go well with her situation and personality. And I’m still making sure the plot is good. For some reason plotting the story out is pretty rough. Like, I know all the bullet points of what is going to happen, but shouldn’t there be little side stories in between all the action? But then every single side scene has to move the story forward, which is where I struggle.

But I’m telling myself to just write out the main scenes I have and possibly come back to add the rest. What do you think?

Anyway, thanks for checking in! How is your WIP coming?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Alabama Rose.

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

@bama-rose Yeah. Sometimes I have a little trouble with plotting as well. It’s hard to get everything to build right.

I think that would be a good idea, that’s what I try to tell myself to do.

Your Welcome 🙂

My WIP is going well. I actually just started a new one. I’ve finished the first chapter.

What have you been up to besides writing?

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

My WIP is going well. I actually just started a new one. I’ve finished the first chapter.

Oh cool! That must be fun. 🙂 Is it fantasy?

What have I been doing besides writing? Heh. Heh. *clears throat* Well, I just started my first year at public high school (I was homeschooled pretty much my whole life), so I’m getting used to being gone all day. I’m involved in piano lessons, I’m publishing my first book, and my home life is a little overall crazy. Anyway, it’s been really hard to manage my time lately. I need to pick my priorities, and very sadly, my new WIP is not on the top of the list. I really wish it was, though. I can’t wait until I have time to read books and write again! (Wow, I’m making my life sound really depressing, lol. It’s not that bad, just overwhelming.)

Haha, what are you up to lately? 😃

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest