Anybody need Character Help?

Forums Fiction Characters Anybody need Character Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Hey! I’ve been seeing a lot of people on here looking for help with characters! Well, it just so happens that developing characters is my FAVORITEย  THING!!

I can tell you right now that I can’t answer all your questions, but I’ll do my best. SOOOO if you need any character help, shoot! I’ll try to help you as best I can. And if anybody else wants to pitch in with answering, go right ahead, I’d love to hear what other people think and getting some more knowledge. I’m sure some of you people know better than I do! ๐Ÿ™‚

You can't live for long living for nothing- Hector Griffin

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Hey, cool!

Actually, I do have a question… How do you get people to like your MC even if she isโ€”selfish? I have a character, and she’s got a lot to learn about selflessness and serving others. She grew up in a Christian home and she is a Christian, but she’s just self-centred. But I don’t want my readers to get super grumpy with her. Any tips?

(Cool idea, btw. I stink at characters. ๐Ÿ˜› I’m like, wha?? Why do you need to know their background?? Haha, so any input is greatly appreciated.)

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Oh yes, if it helps, I’ve determined that she is an INFJ – melancholic. ๐Ÿ™‚

@bama-rose

Oooh, tough question! I generally have a hard time liking the selfish ones! I do have a few that I make up though and they generally have another character trait that helps them not disgust people. I would first suggest thinking of any good character traits she might have. Bring them out in the story, not in a way that distracts from your theme, but in a way that more develops her complete character.

Look up INFJ character type and look at the other different parts of that personality. Find which good traits you like.

But letting people get a little disgusted with your character can help your theme a little. It will help your theme stand out more.

I hope that helps. . . I don’t know everything about this, but I enjoy developing different character and I enjoy a challenge!! I’m glad someone is already using this thread! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I actually usually go to the backstory right after I establish the personality. I love creating quirky characters with all different perspectives on life and different things that make them THEM

if anybody else has advice your welcome to share it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Ooh, that makes sense. That was really helpfulโ€”thank you! For some reason, I can never think of those things, lol. ๐Ÿ˜

@bama-rose

No problem! Glad to help! I hope your writing goes well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

@kari-karast I started this thread if you’re interested. ๐Ÿ™‚

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

I saw it, actually. XD I’ve been thinking ’bout it.

"You can dance with my henchman."

@kari-karast oh, cool! LOL

Well, not trying to push anybody. Feel free to ask questions though if you have any. ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, how old are you? I’m fifteen.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

XD Don’t worry, I will! I’m kinda just trying to form it into something that makes sense.

I’m 14. ๐Ÿ™‚ 15 in November.

"You can dance with my henchman."

@kari-karast

LOL, yeah I get what you mean.

Oh cool! I’ll turn 16 in March.

@bama-rose

How’s your writing going?

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

OK, I have a question.ย  I have a 80% written story shelved only because the villain is not working.

Short summary: she thinks she’s this gorgeous movie star, but in reality, she’s just an out of work b-list actor who is so full of herself that nobody really wants anything to do with.

She’s shallow, vain, and petty, and would stab you in the back just because. (And then a shadowy figure hands her the resources to do just that – only on a global scale!)

The problem is I made her so shallow and unlikable that not only do the other characters want nothing to do with her, but neither do my alpha readers!ย  They hate her – which is good – but there’s no depth to her so she’s not interesting.ย  And she’s obnoxious so nobody sympathizes with her.

I like the idea of a self-focused egomaniac, but how do I turn that into something that doesn’t annoy the reader?

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

If it helps, here is the teaser I published for her in the end of the first book:

The final chapter in the family’s sad history was finally begun one night a hundred years later, in Los Angeles, California during a heavy downpour.

After a horribly bad premier screening, of a horribly bad film, a horribly bad young actress named Vivian Grey found herself outside the theater exit, shouting horrible things at the rest of the cast. The words themselves, unprintable.

Unknown to her, in the shadows of a nearby alley, a mysterious figure lurked. He heard all the anger. He heard all the ego. He heard all the menace. He heard it all…and he smiled!

The shouting woman gave a tuxedo’d director a hard shove and went to storm off. Another man tried to stop her, but wound up holding only a sequened shrug, which she’d shed as easily a reptile loses her tail.

Vivian stormed down the vacant sidewalk, too angry to feel cold. The streetlights grew farther and farther apart, their yellow-orange light glinting off the streaks of rain like a thousand shooting stars.

‘Shooting stars — those things that shine so bright, and burn out in an instant.’ she thought, bitterly.

Behind her, a car slowed to a crawl along the curb, rolling only fast enough to keep pace with her walking.

Vivian stopped at the sound. Turning, she saw a black limousine.

“Daimler! You worthless hack of a director!” she shouted. Running to the back door,she kicked it, and punched it, and cussed at it with all new kinds of profanity.

The window cracked on its seal and began to roll down as she continued to rant over the whine of the motor and the clatter of the rain. “What gives you the right to follow–!??” but then she stopped.

The man, whose eyes alone were seen in the dim illumination of the car’s interior, was clearly not her Director.

With a horrid, gravelly, voice, the man spoke. “Vivian Grey” he croaked, “I am in need of an actress.”

“Yeah?” she said, cocking a hip.

“I got a recent, um, ‘vacancy in my organization. I’m in need of somebody with the right look. Somebody who can do… let’s just say, ‘whatever is necessary’. I’m in need of, in short, an Empress.” He drew the last word out, and let it hang on the air like apiece of bait on a hook.

Vivian cocked an eyebrow. With all her pent up vanity, she liked the sound of that. “Okay, crazy man. It looks like I’m suddenly in need of work, so I’ll bite. But before I do, just who exactly am I talkin’ to?”

“Oh, me?” he said in mock surprise. Then he laughed (which sounded like more of a coughing wheeze). “You just call me… Draco.”

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest