Any other poets out there??? *eagerly searches the horizon*

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Any other poets out there??? *eagerly searches the horizon*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@girlsetfree I’m the same way…I write poetry to put feelings into words. It’s like I don’t know what I’m feeling until the feelings fall out of my pen as ink. 😉

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Sir Leeds
      @sir-leeds

Hi Rachel,

I’m a poet too!

I used to write exclusively more or less strict verse, but now I find myself mostly writing free verse story poems and dabbling in other styles. I’m working on getting meter down. I know how to get line syllables and rhyme schemes to add up though.

I started writing poetry in the form of cards for my parents on birthdays because I was too young to buy cards for them. In high school and college, I wrote poetry as a kind of therapy when I was upset. Even now, I don’t tend to write when I’m happy.

As for good poetry volumes I’ve read lately, I’d highly recommend Billy Collins’ “Sailing Alone Around the Room” or T. S. Eliot’s “Four Quartets”. I’m currently digging into the works of my state’s (Iowa) poet laureates’ works, Ted Kooser’s poetry, and Tracy K. Smith’s poetry.

As for books about poetry, I’ve enjoyed Dorianne Laux’s “Poet’s Companion” for encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone with different writing prompts and challenges. Mary Ruefle’s “Madness, Rack, and Honey” explains the mentality and philosophy of poetry pretty well. It’s a little out there, but I enjoyed it and was able to get a few golden nuggets from it. I’m reading and enjoying Mary Oliver’s “Rules for the Dance” right now. In it, she explains how to write verse using a combination of stories, poems, and little bits of textbook style teaching. I’ve found that instructional books are helpful in moderation, but my poetry flourishes when I balance instruction with practicing writing and revising my work with fellow poets.

I’m really looking forward to seeing others’ work and encouraging them in their art. Cheers!

Sincerely,

Sir Leeds

"We are far too easily pleased." - C. S. Lewis

Martina
      @martina

Poetry is amazing. And it’s fun to write! I especially enjoy sonnets and nonsensical rhyming poetry, but I write almost any type of poetry I read. There’s no particular method of writing or thought process I use; I simply write.  Some of my nonsense poems are posted on my blog (hehe), and here’s a recent sonnet I wrote (Shakespearean style):

I see my pale reflection in the glass
      A bending author peers right back at me
      The mirror my whole self does not hold fast
      Through ink stains on my hand the glass can see.
      Discerning and a careful look I wear
      And in my eyes are worlds I only know
      But if I were my works from years compare
      The fairy dust would always fall so low.
      I wield a rough and all-unable pen
      Thus far I have traversed and written all
      So for myself with my words I will fend
      Tools forged in ink are at my every call
      If others see me this way I know not
      No matter—words will still be formed from thought.

*grins and sighs happily* Poetry.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Martina.

A writer is a world trapped in a person. -Victor Hugo

Lady Iliara
      @lady-iliara

nonsensical rhyming poetry

*gasp* A girl after my own heart. 😆

That poem is lovely. Lovely. Exactly how it feels to be a writer.

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

lydia-writes
        @lydia-writes

@scribbles – Hi! *waves*
        I don’t know if I’d call myself a poet…

When I was younger I used to hate reading poetry but a little over a year ago I started writing free verse poems in order process and think through a ton of things I was going through.  However I don’t know if they’re any good because I haven’t shown them to anyone. :p
        If you don’t mind my asking what’s your Instagram account name?

writer - I talk to imaginary people-reader-avid plant collector-not all who wander are lost-Eph. 4:6

Anonymous

@scribbles I love to write poetry!  Lots of different kinds, really.

Rachel Rogers
          @scribbles

@sir-leeds How very nice to meet you! I noticed we’re in the same guild as well. 🙂

I wrote some poetry when I was much younger, but it was simply awful, and I had decided I just wasn’t a poet. But then when I was in college I just sort of accidentally started writing poetry to sort out feelings and process things I was going through, and it just clicked. Poetry forces you to be so honest (if it’s to be any good at all), and I think that’s what makes it so cathartic.

I love Billy Collins’ style! He’s a more recent addition to my mental collection of favorite poets. And I’m eager to look up those other books you mentioned. The only instruction I’ve had on writing poetry, other reading other poets’ works, is a course from Progeny Press I did back in high school. That’s been a while though. 😛

@martina
            *applauds* I was watching your meter and rhyme scheme and it was perfect. I am SO impressed right now. Seriously. Meter and rhyme are not my thing. My brain doesn’t like to generate words in that fashion. XD

@lydia-writes
            *waves back* 🙂 I think if you are brave enough to write what you are feeling, then you are a poet. <3 Sharing what you’ve written is optional after that point, but if you do decide to share, I would love to read it! I was terrified of sharing my poetry at first, but it turned out to be a good thing, I think. That’s actually why I started my Instagram account, which is @hazel.stenographer.

@ariel-ashira Do you have a favorite subject or theme to write about? Or is it all over the map like me? 😛

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Anonymous

@scribbles I don’t think I could name one kind I do.  😛 I write all sorts of poetry!  If you would like to read one of my poems, I had one published on Kingdom Pen recently called The Light Triumphs.

I guess my main poetry rules are, its gotta flow and its gotta have emotion.  From there, I do all sorts of stuff.  Sorry, I don’t think this is much help.

Martina
              @martina

@lady-iliara @scribbles Thank you! It’s great to find other like-minded people (and/or other people with strict English teachers 😉 )

A writer is a world trapped in a person. -Victor Hugo

Rachel Rogers
              @scribbles

@ariel-ashira Never apologize for having trouble describing poetry. Many have tried and failed. It means too many different things to different people to be pinned down easily. 😉 Also I really like your poem at KP!  Very nice work. 🙂

@martina
                “and/or other people with strict English teachers”… Ha! Yes. 😛 Although I think I’m stricter with myself than most of my English teachers have ever been. XD

Allison Grace
                @allison-grace

I write freestyle. I’ve done it for about a year, but not too frequently. Emotions inspire me. My personal favorite poem I wrote still makes me excited when I read it! (It’s about baseball, btw. :D)

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

lydia-writes
                @lydia-writes

@scribbles – <3 Thanks!  🙂  I think I’ll post a few poems in the post your poems here forum.  That makes sense – I love your Instagram account!

writer - I talk to imaginary people-reader-avid plant collector-not all who wander are lost-Eph. 4:6

Rachel Rogers
                @scribbles

@allison-grace Yeah, I always feel like I must have done a good job writing a poem when I get emotional re-reading it. XD

@lydia-writes
                  I’m glad you liked it! And yesss, tag me if you post any of your poems!!! 😀

ENU
                  @enu

I love writing poetry too, particularly in Chinese. If possible, I try to have some sort of pattern in the poem. For example, I wrote a poem with 9 stanzas, each with 9 lines, but didn’t have a consistent meter otherwise. Another one had a line of 4 syllables, then 7, then 5, and then it repeated. It’s fun to play around with different styles.

I love J.R.R. Tolkien’s poems.

@m_corinnemusic
                  I agree that songs do count as poetry.

Anyone do epics? (Not that I do or anything, just wondering)

"If it lacks artistic value, it is unworthy of being looked at."

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting

I do love writing poetry, but I haven’t written anything in a while. I think I have a collection of a couple hundred somewhere…

Usually mine are  kinda dark…or they tell stories…

I also write songs occasionally, too.

And like ENU above, I do write poems in Chinese, too. Not traditional Chinese poetry, though. I think I’ve written like three of those poems, and translated them into English.

One of my favorite forms of poetry is the villanelle. Once, for a challenge, I wrote a poem with nine stanzas, nine lines per stanza, nine words per line…most stressful word count project I’ve done so far.

"Moving on and on and on we go,
                  Shining lights above blown away..."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest