Any other poets out there??? *eagerly searches the horizon*

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Any other poets out there??? *eagerly searches the horizon*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

I’m curious how many other poets are here, what styles you write, and what got you started writing poetry. What poets inspire you? Have you read any good poetry volumes lately? Also any books *about* writing poetry…does anybody have a recommendation on that front?

About me…I’ve been writing poetry for about three years. I wrote some poetry years ago, but abandoned it because it was honestly not even one little bit good. Then I started writing again, freeform this time, to clear my head and process some stuff I was going through. This time around, my poetry is at least decent. I even have about 230 followers on my Instagram account. My inspirations include Robert Frost and Amy Lowell, and although the style is very different, I’m also a big fan of Shakespeare’s sonnets (I adore Sonnet 116).

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Elizabeth
      @elizabeth

I wouldn’t call myself a poet…I’ve written exactly one poem (it’s on my blog) and it’s a mix of freeverse and… a set pattern thing that I dunno what to call.

I do like it, though. Poetry is like math, but with words.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Cindy Green
      @cindy

@scribbles You’e a poet AND an ambivert? *high five* Welcome to Story Embers, new friend! ๐Ÿ™‚

My favourite, most frequent style is free verse, but I also love to experiment with different forms. I fell in love with blackout poetry a year ago, and just finished “Chasers of the Light” by Tyler Knott Gregson for the hundredth time. ๐Ÿ˜€ I love reading Ernest Hemingway and Edger Allen Poe when I want rhyming inspiration.

to elevate the soul, poetry is necessary. -eap

Daeus Lamb
      @daeus-lamb

@scribbles I write poetry occasionally. One book I really recommend isย The Roar On The Otherside.ย 

๐Ÿ˜€
      ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
      ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Rachel Rogers
      @scribbles

@elizabeth It’s so interesting to hear other people’s metaphors for poetry. I would never think of it as math, myself, but more like an abstract painting…color and composition are so important, not because they necessarily form something specific, but because they convey a certain feeling. So that’s my take on poetry. ^.^

@cindy
        *high fives back* Yay for new friends! I love reading blackout poetry, but I’ve never gotten around to playing with it myself. Also…HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT HEMINGWAY WROTE POETRY?!?! I have failed as a literature nut. ๐Ÿ˜›

@daeus-lamb
        I will have to check out that book. Thanks!

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Brianna Storm Hilvety
        @briannastorm

@scribbles @cindy You two are my favorite poets, so the fact that youโ€™re chatting warms my heart. โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’œ

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Rachel Rogers
        @scribbles

@briannastorm Yay! Warm heart=warm hugs, and I love warm hugs!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Christine Eaton
          @christieaton

@scribbles I’m a poet! I mainly write free verseย but I want to start branching out. My current favorite poem is The Peace of The Wild Things by Wendell Berry. (Also anything written by @cindy)

โ€œI feel a loneliness for my Creator that pulls me like a migratory bird in the Fall.โ€

I love to write poetry, though my skills may not be of the highest degree. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I started writing poetry late last year, and since then I’ve written about 20 poems. The poets who inspire me most are Lucy Maud Montgomery, Robert Frost, J.R.R. Tolkien, A. A. Milne, C.S. Lewis, and Erin Hanson. (e.h.)

I generally write in rhyme. Thinking about it just now, I realize I have written a whoppingย total of one free verse poems, probably because free verse is much harder for me to write. ๐Ÿ˜€ When I feel a lack of creativity, I always go to blackout/found poetry for inspiration; it’s amazing all the new angles you can discover in one page of prose!

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. ๐Ÿ™‚ https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Rachel Rogers
            @scribbles

@christieaton I had never read that one! Wow. That. Is gorgeous.

@emma-starr
              That’s great that you enjoy writing poetry! The skills will come with practice and experience. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love A.A. Milne, too. His style is so simple and straightforward, but utterly charming. And I keep hearing people rave about blackout poetry, so I guess eventually I’ll have to break down and try it myself. ๐Ÿ˜›

Christine Eaton
              @christieaton

@scribbles Ah isn’t it? I love Wendell Berry. I need to read so much more of his work.

โ€œI feel a loneliness for my Creator that pulls me like a migratory bird in the Fall.โ€

Lady Iliara
                @lady-iliara

@scribbles I write poetry, but not really as a planned effort…Itโ€™s usually a writing assignment that prompts it, and then it just turns out different every time. ๐Ÿ˜› I recently wrote a tragic poem in iambic pentameter about a selkie, but Iโ€™ve also written a rhyming ballad about fighting a red dragon. So, yโ€™know. But my forte is rhyming couplets.

May I share a poem? Iโ€™m especially fond of this one.

Far and away when the wind blows west

and the sea is green and the light shines best

And the grey rocks gleam in a white sunbeam

This, this is best.

When the crystal shines in the golden halls

and the deep pool catches darkling falls

And the wren-bird sings and the whole earth rings

This, this is best.

When sweetest sight makes truth of fable

and guests share wine at a wedding table

And beloved voice calls โ€œFriends, rejoice!โ€

This, this is best.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Lady Iliara.

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Maya Wylie
                  @m_corinnemusic

I have some experience with poetry, but I don’t write it consistently. I am focusing on songwriting right now, which, I suppose, is a form of poetry. I would say that I try to emulate Andrew Peterson’s songwriting style most.

I admire @cindy and other folks who know how to do freeform poetry ๐Ÿ™‚ The Roar on the Other Sideย is one of my favourite books about writing poetry too, @daeus-lamb! The Oxford Book of English Verse is really cool- it includes lots of very old poems, which can be hard to read due to the odd spelling, but I think that’s part of the charm of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love Emily Dickinson, (who doesn’t? :D) Luci Shaw, and Andrew Peterson. I have a lot of others that I like, I just can’t think of them right now.

Are there any other songwriters around here?

INFJ | singer/songwriter | swimmer | it's an underscore, people!!

Rachel Rogers
                    @scribbles

@lady-iliara I never exactly *plan* to write a poem, either…they just sort of spill out. ๐Ÿ˜›

And that is a really nice one that you wrote! Thanks for sharing!

@m_corinnemusic
                      That’s really cool that you’re doing songwriting! (And songs counted as poetry in my literature class, so I think yours count, too. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) I am also fond of Andrew Peterson’s style. It feels very honest to me, and I like that.

GirlSetFree
                      @girlsetfree

I write poetry as well!!

I’ve posted a few of them on my blog, so go ahead and check that out!!

I write poetry when I’m feeling down or up. I rarely write poetry just for the fun of it–there’s usually a story behind every poem I write. Loneliness, happiness, lovesickness, you name it.

GirlSetFree

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest