fb

Any guys out there?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Any guys out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,075 total)
  • Author
    Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Okay, so just wanted to clarify something, cause I thought I might have come across rather strong on the self-defense thing.

So, I believe killing for any reason is wrong, even for self-defense. But I don’t believe that self-defense in and of it’s self is wrong, at least not some forms of it. For example, let’s say your walking down the street with your mom and this person jumps out and starts attacking her, I personally believe that you have every right to restrain that person/keep him away…how you do that depends on the situation and your conscious.

Personally, I think that your convictions about life and death, killing and self defense should come from careful study of God’s Word, and listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, not from what your being pressured to believe or so you’ll fit in…or from what you’ve heard people blabbing on the internet. We (and myself most certainly included) need to learn how to think and how to let the Holy Spirit guide us in every area of our lives and I think we will begin to see the truth. That doesn’t mean will all come out at the same place…and that’s okay.  There is so much that we can learn from each other.

@the-fledgling-artist

Hey, that is SO COOL!!! 😀😀😀 Who would have thought!

And yes, my family and the church I go to would consider ourselves non-resistant Mennonites. I’m not sure what I entirely believe about voting…I would see that as okay, I think. My dad voted before. We wouldn’t go to war or join the police force either.

There are SO many types and groups and “flavors” (as your Dad says 😀) of Mennonites…it’s kinda crazy. You have one person who says one thing, and another who says something totally different and third that doesn’t agree with either of them, and they all call themselves Mennonites. It’s frustrating and funny and intriguing all at the same time. Where would you put yourself on the spectrum? The church I go to is probably considered more Conservative Mennonite. (that in itself can mean one-hundred-and-one things too.😀)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@eden-anderson, @the-fledgling-artist, Oh my stars!!!! Y’all are Mennonites? That is so cool!!!!!!! I used to be! We still believe a lot like y’all!! We used to go to a church in Taylorsville, NC. It’s so cool to meet Mennonites!!!!!!

And I study the Anabaptists all the time!!!! Do y’all happen to have any good book recommendations? I have the Martyrs’ Mirror, Martyr of the Catacombs, The Bible Makes Us Anabaptists, Fire in Zurich Hills.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Well, I would say that my church is conservative too, but there are for sure more conservative churches out there. My church believes in  the headship order, the head covering, modest dress, all of the older women wear cape dresses but they aren’t required. (However some sort of dress or skirt is.)

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@parker whoa! Another has appeared! xD Who knew. I thought me and my sister were the only ones on the entire forum. 😀
    Hmm have you ever read “through fire and water” by Harry Loewen and Steven M. Nolt? I haven’t read all the books you mentioned (The bible makes us anabaptists sounds like interesting! I’ll have to look for it.) so I’m not sure how it would compare, but I’m reading through it now and it’s very informative on Anabaptist history. Oh also we have this book that is a collection of all the writings of Menno Simons and because the writings in it are so old it’s a little hard to get through (It’s also HUGE) but if you happen to come across it somewhere it might be worth looking at. 🙂

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@parker

Oh, cool! So obviously my assumptions about no Mennonites around here was wrong. 😛 I love surprises. 😀 Especially happy ones. As for book recommendations…ummm…well I can suggest some magazines that are written for Anabaptists and by them and stuff like that… but I don’t know if that’s what your looking for????  Here’s the link for a magazine that my sister illustrates for. It’s for Mennonite youth, but it’s fairly new so their first issue is coming out in October. But  you can check out their website: https://www.crosswindmagazine.com/

Have you ever heard of the Biblical Mennonite Alliance (BMA) That’s the affiliation that my church belongs to. Google it and you’ll come up with something.  (I don’t know how accurate it will be, though. 😀) You could look it up on Wikipedia.
    Yeah, so we practice the headship veiling as well, although we don’t have any rules on what it should be. Hat, scarf, veil, doily, motorcycle helmet, you name it…(okay, so the helmet is not a thing.😛) And we say that you should dress modestly and although we have very basic guidelines we mostly leave it up to people’s own personal convictions.
    I think it’s really cool that you’re on here. There arn’t many Anabaptists in the literary world, and don’t know like any who write fiction or fantasy. Even if you don’t write, we need more Mennonite artists too. 😀😀😀

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Eden Anderson.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Who’s your sister? If you don’t mind me being nosy and asking.😛

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Hey! I know the guy (well, I know OF him) who, I think he is the editor for cross winds! (My family has subscribed to it, so maybe i’ll be able to see some of your sisters art!)
    I should say the same to you! It’s so cool that you’re here. 😀 I don’t write novels or books, but I am into writing for animation (that will probably never be animated) and comics. This is so cool. I wonder if we know some of the same people. Have you by any chance ever been to a Mennonite girls camp in southern Indiana before?

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Nope, never been to the camp. But I’ve heard about it numerous times. 😀 I bet we do know some of the same people! Are you with Keystone Mennonites or does your church belong to something else? How do ya’ll know Seth and Heather? We’re good friends with Seth’s family.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

*Naively takes a seat before his computer and turns it on. Takes a sip from his mug as story embers loads. Mug slips from hand and shatters on the floor as a tital wave of words escape the screen.* this could take a while…

Alright guys (and girls XD) because I’m on term break here in NZ I think I actually have the time to respond to everyone but seriously this is going to be a substantial amount of writing so no promises for the future : D!

@parker
    : 1. I would be totally cool with sacrificing myself (well I mean hypothetically, I would obviously find it hard to do in real life…) to protect some else, biblically. My only issue with this self-defense issue is if you attack the other person to defend yourself.

@h-jones
    : 1. You love the princess bride! yay! you should check out my introduce yourself thread! Its Full!!! of princess bride quotes! heres the link:

"hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you kill my father, prepare to die!"

2. “You’re both handling it very well, and I think that in a lot of ways, you’re both right.” I’m sorry but I just think its funny when someone says two contradicting views are both right (even though I’ve learned they often are XD) “A lot of it could depend on context, conscience, motivation and your heart’s intentions.” Ya I agree, however, at least for me, its often difficult to be certain what the holy spirit is saying so I like to have a general rule to follow and possibly make exceptions too; based on spiritual revelation (should it arive).

@ryker-dawson
    : hey Ryker! Nice to meet you! How old are you and how long have you been writing?

@eden-anderson
    : Don’t worry your totally welcome! (despite your girly-ness XD). So apparently there’s a whole denomination for this! who knew! I totally thought I was just making this up! XD “Now, that said, I have often thought about this subject myself and have questioned the Anabaptist stand on self-defense…(just because I was raised a certain way doesn’t mean I embrace everything my parents and pastor have taught me.)” *claps* bravo, well done. I know how it can be hard to believe different things then your family especially when you live with them! in responce to point 1. Ok, ya i think I’m with you… I haven’t really thought about these things before so not totally saying yes. 2. I also think I agree with you here. 3. yep! alright well that was easy! Good to know we agree! Also, there was no ‘rambling’ going on there in my opinion so no need to apologize!

2. (this means I’m responding to your second post): don’t worry about coming across strong because you totally didnt! we’re guys remember! we have particularly thick skins when it comes to feelings XD (aka its unlikely I’ll take you arguing you position in a forceful manner personally : D) Yep, totally with you!

@storyjoy
    : Really?!? Man! that just made my day way better! thanks a lot! My brother just consented to read some of my storys today (seriously, he has refused to even read one them until just today! Brotherly love right XD) and i showed him your time is running out and he said it ruined his day so your kinda balancing the scales! I asked him why and he said it was really depressing. Which, granted, may or my not be true XD. Anyway thanks for the encouragement! How long have you been writing and would you cair to show me some of your work? (As long as your willing to get an honest critique : D. I’m really bad at lying to make people feel good…)

@wordsmith
    : ok cool! just so you know, my responses have not been, how do you say… planned XD. I kinda just read what you say and write back what comes to my mind (unless what comes to my mind is stupid. Then I think about it some more : D) So dont dig too much into the peticular way I phrase things…

@the-fledgling-artist
    : So you’re an “anti-violent self defense person” too! that does explain a few things XD we’ll nice to see you over here!

INTJ- trying to grow into real wisdom; James 3:17

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@theinconceivable1

In today’s world there’s pretty much anything you can think up! 😀😀😀

And I have to say that I LOVE the Princess Bride too. I don’t know many guys who like it, so I was laughing and applauding when I met you.  😀 So awesome!!

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@theinconceivable1 Haha, absolutely!! ;D

LOL My brother told me a few weeks ago he doesn’t want me to finish my book, because then he’ll feel obligated to read it. xDD

Oh goodness! Your brother has no taste XDD Yeah, maybe it was a bit depressing but maybe I like that kind of story? xD I thought it was great 😀

I’ve loved writing stories pretty much since I could read, but I’ve only been writing seriously for a little less than a year. (And my work has only been anything decent since, like, May. xD) You?

Lol! Well, I really don’t have any short stories worth mentioning, but here’s a doc with a few clips from my book. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tg9koboYorQTXD9d4_JmLpfcTEplZvregN1JIyM7I6M/edit?usp=sharing

Of course I don’t mind! LOL that’s not something to be ashamed of!! 😉 😛

*cartwheels out*

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@eden-anderson: We could start a fan club!

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@storyjoy: wow that was actually quite good! Well done, I thought the title was a bit lacking XD but I think you did a good job covering what little bases I know (aka showing not telling and making it seem overall fairly realistic!) Better then I expected! I dont have much helpful advice as I’m in the same boat as you! I’ve only just (like last week) started to study how to write! prior I’ve only used inspiration and what feels good you know! However, if you want, I did just finished reading a book on how to write and I pulled a bunch of helpful quotes out of it which I can send to you… Totally up to you though! Also, good job working on a book! I tryed earlier but kinda lost steam after 48 thouand words. now its just sitting their, in a dark correr of the internet : (. O well, I’ll fix it up eventualy… maybe XD.

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@wordsmith @theinconceivable1

Really interesting debate you guys have going here! I just thought I’d drop in and ask if either of you have seen the movie Hacksaw Ridge? ( @eden-anderson too) It’s about a Seventh Day Adventist young man, who believes self-defence is wrong but joins the army (during World War 2). He refuses to carry a gun and is constantly mocked by the other soldiers, but he uses his time in the Pacific to work as a sort of unofficial medic and saves the lives of dozens of other soldiers. It’s a true story (though slightly Hollywoodised, of course), and though I don’t agree with a lot of Seventh Day Adventist beliefs, I really admire Desmond Doss for standing up for his beliefs, but also, not just staying at home and saying that because he didn’t believe in war, he wouldn’t get involved. To me, he’s a great example of refusing to practice self-defence (in the whole time he was in the army, he never picked up a gun), but he was definitely not passively accepting whatever was thrown at him. I suggest you read up on him (I wouldn’t suggest the movie, brilliant as it is, unless you’re sure you can stomach quite a lot of graphic violence).

(and to all you Mennonites, @the-fledgeling-artist etc, in no way am I saying that you are wrong for not getting involved in war. I simply believe that a period of war can be used as a mission-field and had I lived during either of the world wars, I would have been signing up to be a nurse, even though I believe war is rarely, if ever, justified. Excepting the case of God’s holy wars, of course)

Mahalo keia huiʻana

storyjoy
    @storyjoy

@theinconceivable You say that like you’re surprised… *squints suspiciously* xDD

Yeah, I do need to work on my titles. XDD

Thanks a lot!! =D

Absolutely!! I’m always on the lookout for helps… because recently I’ve been realizing I’m not as great a writer as maybe I used to think I was. xDD

Lol!! WOW, 48,000 words? I’m not even quite to 20,000 yet… (in my defense, I only started this, like, back in July. ;P) I have a feeling I might give up on it though… I really want to finish it, but idk. We’ll see. ;P

*cartwheels out*

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,075 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest