Any guys out there?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Any guys out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,075 total)
  • Author
    Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, No! I’m not lying about your stories!! They were great!!

I do agree about my story. I have the hardest time with short stories because I try to fit so much in. I’m more of a novel writer as you can tell. XD! And I did try to cram the Christian message because I can’t post my short stories at a few places without them being Christian in some way. Yeah, spreading it out would definitely help.

Thanks for reading!! This feedback was awesome!!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@wordsmith: alright, well lets start with a fun one! why does Elijah get to summon bears to beat up the kids who were mocking him? I know its kinda strange but it just seems to go against Jesus whole “turn the other cheek” message and God seems to be more like a weapon in these such passages…

@bella-b
    : well I’m glad I’m appreciated XD

@taylorclogston
    : No I’m not saying that! You were just being honest and I would much rather have an honest critic than a lying one that makes me feel good XD. Your that person that got me to start reading books about writing which, even with what little I’ve read, has done me a wrold of good. So ya, your critique wasnt very…comforting but it was honest and in the words of the proverbs “Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.” (not saying you ‘wounded’ me but you know what I mean!)

@parker
    : alright well thanks : D and your welcome! I think critiquing each other’s writing is kinda like the iron sharpens iron thing!

INTJ- trying to grow into real wisdom; James 3:17

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

Okay… do you believe that self defense is prohibited in the bible?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Buddy J..

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

Furthermore, do you believe the scriptures ever contradict each other?

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Joseph Lin
    @joseph_darkgrate

*breaks in silently*

Well, here I am.  Sorry to be late.  But I am very much a man.

Or I guess you could say a boy heh.

Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@wordsmith: well as for the seccond question, yes and no. I mean I believe there are scriptures that contradict by all human logic (predestination and free will is a prime example) but In reality dont (cuz his ways are higher then our ways and what not). As for the first question I’m unsure… When I read this particular passage I dont believe the boys were physically assaulting him but I guess thats beside the point. I mean, can you think of a new testament Christian that ever exercised self defense?

@joseph_darkgrate
    : “who are you?”

Joseph Lin
    @joseph_darkgrate

@theinconceivable1, well, I’d say the President of DunkinDonuts, but I don’t think you’d be convinced.  (I might as well be, though, with as many as I eat).  I’m Xonos Darkgrate, *bows*, goof extrodinaire.  Though you can call me Joseph if you would like.  I apologize if I’m intruding haha.

Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

I don’t believe the boys were physically assaulting him… But my point there is that I don’t believe the moral law changed even when Jesus came. The scriptures will never contradict each other, even though it may seem.

Thus we assume that what he did was not wrong… There could be a few reasons. For one, the prophets were messengers of God, who spoke of judgement, and were sometimes tools of God’s judgement… and I think that was Elisha acting as God’s judgement on those boys.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@joseph_darkgrate: Fear not Xonos Darkgrate, for their are no intrusions among brothers!

@wordsmith
    : I agree Elijah must be in the right but I don’t see how he is. I mean it reminds me of how the disciples, after being sent out and doing awesome things, asked “should we call fire from heaven on them” (the Samaritans that rejected them; you know, kinda an elijah move) but Jesus ” turned and rebuked them.” so whats up with that?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

Well… my best answer is that this is when a prophet was given judgmental authority. We don’t hear God telling Elisha that he could do it, but it would appear that Elisha was perfectly justified. So for now I would put this under: God’s ways are higher than man’s ways 😉

But I will talk to my pastor, and other knowledgeable men to see what they think.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, in answer to what you said up there, yes it is like iron sharpening iron!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@wordsmith: Ok well thanks, sounds like a good plan. Hey so you know how earlier you said “do you believe that self defense is prohibited in the bible?”… Well I started thinking about it an ya, now I do! I mean, according to every worldly standards the answer is totally no, its fine,  but Biblically? I mean we have those flat out “turn the other cheek” verses where Jesus says “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.” (Luke 6: 27-30 NIV) which seems like sufficient evidence to answer this question all together. However thats really hard to put into practice (obviously) so it kinda makes me wonder “well did Jesus really expect us to live like this?” I mean, again, I think the answer is yes. Can you think of a single occurrence of self defence in the new testament (given, of course, we’re the person is in the right) cuz I can’t… So, at least for me, It seems like we, as christians, should NOT exercise self defense. I don’t know how that works practically but I guess I have to figure that out…

@parker
    : hey, I’m just about to embark on writitng a 15,000 or so story. Have any advice before I start?

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, I would say know where you’re headed, have sort of an outline in your head if you don’t feel like writing out a full one, know your characters well. If you suddenly lose inspiration, try word sprints. They’re so helpful! And if you want feedback, editing, or critique on the story when it’s finished, I’d gladly do it for you.

BTW, I’ve been following your and Wordsmith’s conversation.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

First off… It seems like you are saying NT law trumps OT law, which I would disagree with because Scripture cannot contradict Scripture. The moral law has not changed, even with the coming of Christ: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” -2 Timothy 2:16-17-

Furthermore we see in the OT examples of men acting in both self defense and defense of others. And since Scripture cannot contradict itself we cannot look to only the NT for our moral law, but the OT as well.

Now, we also see Peter carrying a sword in John 18:10. Jesus is there, Jesus know’s he’s carrying a sword. Why would he be carrying a sword but for self defense? Also, Jesus tells the disciples to buy swords.

Now in the sermon on the mt… when Jesus says to turn the other cheek, what he is referring to is that we don’t take revenge (that is how I have understood the passage). If someone struck you on the cheek, what would that normally infer? An insult. This passage (as I have understood it) refers to not taking revenge, thus him saying “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth.'” That is not self defense. Self defense is the preservation of my life. Jesus is not responding to self defense there.

No we are not supposed to payback… but self defense is not payback.

Another question is this: where do we draw the line between self defense and defense of others, and at what point do we say no one else is in danger? (defense of others is very clearly allowed)

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@parker: Ok cool! I’ve already started to lose inspiration so words sprints are likely XD. I would love help when I finish it (if I finish it…) especially with grammar and stuff so thanks! Also feel free to join in on theological debates!

@wordsmith
    : “First off… It seems like you are saying NT law trumps OT law, which I would disagree with because Scripture cannot contradict Scripture. The moral law has not changed, even with the coming of Christ” Ok, in general, I actually would say NT law trumps old testament law. “…you are not under the law, but under grace.” (Romans 6: 14) “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. ” (galations 2: 19) “by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,” (Ephesians 2: 15)  so I think it quite clear there are, at the very least, parts of the law we are no longer bound or meant to keep (like rituals for cleanliness or separation laws between Jews and Gentiles) We are under the new covenant of grace with fulfills the OT law. However, since we’re talking specifically about the moral law I might agree that it does remain constant, mostly cuz I cant think of an example where it doesn’t XD. However, just because someone did it in the old testament doent mean they were right and even if they were, it doesnt mean we can do it and be in the right. For instance, almost every big biblical figure ever practiced polygamy, God don’t call them out on it, even though in the new testament were told its wrong. Biblical role models, David, Soloman, Abraham, Jacob, Isacc etc all had two wives (or more) and I cant remember God calling any of them out (although Soloman does suffer the natural consequences of 500 pagan wives and David gets punished for the Bathsheba thing but its not for Bathsheba herself but more for murdering her husband.) So ya my point is just because reputable biblical characters do something and God doesn’t say anything doesn’t make them in the right. Second, we have cases where something might be right in one instance but not right in another: example, Elijah calling fire from heaven (presumably) not a sin. Disciples wanting to call fire down from heaven, they get rebuked by Jesus. Same action, different context. So we cant just say “people in the OT used self defense so we can too!” cuz were in a different context.

Also, with your sword example, doenst Jesus say directly after Peter uses said sword, in what we presume is self defense, to NOT use said sword? “Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.) Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (John 18: 10-11) which, granted, you could attribute to the whole crucifixion thing but eather way I dont think this is a good NT self-defence verse as Jesus literally just after tells him not to use it (aka defend himself, or Jesus). As for the buying swords thing… IDK there are some fairly good awnsers online but I’m not sure they convince me. I’m not sure what to do with this… I think it comes down to how we define self defence. So do you believe that, if I attacked you, and it was either I kill you or you kill me that you can kill me in “self defence” biblically? if so then couldn’t that work on a smaller scale? So if I attacked you, you could punch me even if I didn’t punch you first, in self-defense. Cuz I mean think about it, is “you were going to hurt me so I hurt you” something we should do as Christians? Like why do we NEED self defence? What about the whole God is my shield thing? I think none of the NT Christians exercised self-defense because they didnt need to, God can defend us and when we dont to defend ourselves that what SHOWs God! So ya, so far I still dont think its biblical… as for the buying swords thing we dont actually know what those swords were to be used for so it doesn’t necessarily support self-defence. As far as defending your self and defending others… I have no Idea where to draw the line XD.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,075 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest