fb

Any guys out there?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Any guys out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,075 total)
  • Author
    Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, If I got the chance, I would take it. But I would be so nervous on the way. I would be so worried about them thinking me crazy if I acted wrong.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@parker: well your braver then me! I think I might do it if it was another guy but if the writers a girl I didn’t know it pushes the awkwardness level just a little too high for me. Unless we had been talking for a long time… then I might go for it XD

INTJ- trying to grow into real wisdom; James 3:17

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1 @parker

Although I agree it might be partly awkward… I think you could actually have a little fun with it. Most (in general) people expect writers to be this quirky person who’s life revolves around writing to a degree that feels fantastical. That is a stereotype.

But writers know this isn’t true… there is a certain amount of quirk, but to us it’s normal. What if you went to the stereotypical level though, and basically turned into one of the characters in your book. You could be really dramatic and then all of a sudden switch back to normal writer mode.

Published author, student in writing, works with HazelGracePress.com

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@wordsmith: so you’re saying you could prank your writing friend by pretending to be someone your not *strokes his chin* hum… I’ll keep that in mind just in case XD also “Most (in general) people expect writers to be this quirky person who’s life revolves around writing to a degree that feels fantastical” I like how you added “to a degree” XD

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@wordsmith: hey, on a completely unrelated note, are you any good at chess?

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@ everyone!: guys guys guys (and girls XD) ok everyone remembers our self-defense debate right? well I just talked to some people wiser to me and had an epiphany! so, you may already know this and I may just be sounding stupid for saying something everyone already knows but I just figured this out and its pretty groundbreaking for me! (I mean, I figure it out earlier but the people I talked to said it was wrong so I kinda dropped it but now I believe its right so ya, I’m sharing!) ok so this whole argument, whether its right to act in self-defense or not all hands on the definition of one word; sin. You see I’ve always thought sin was an act, that there were acts that were sin (eg. murder, adultery ext..) but really its an attitude! Sin is when were rejecting God, it doent matter (well kinda) what were doing, it matters why were doing it! ok scriptural examples: Pharisees. these guys did all the right actions but their attitude was wrong and that’s why Jesus was all “your the worst of sinners” about them because their heart attitude was the worst. second example: eating meat sacrificed to idols. I can’t remember where it is (I could find it but I’m already sleep deprived as it is XD) but Paul says its a sin to eat meat to the one whos conscience is condemned by doing so. Because the person believed eating was wrong it actually was wrong for them! so you see, its about the attitude not the action. Now some actions can only be committed because of the wrong attitude (example: murder. thats different from killing mind you) and thus are alwase wrong but its still not the act of murder thats wrong its the attitude that must be behind it. Also, to prove my point, in numbers God gives “citys of refuge” to people who accidentally killed someone. These people weren’t guilty of sin, even though they did kill someone unless they did it out of malice and anger. They did the act but they weren’t judged because the attitude was right. so, becase of this truth, the answer to this debate can logically be both (and yes I realize some of you said that and yes, I realise I said your were wrong.. I’m sorry, your right! XD) I think the bible presents self-defenc as one of those “either way” issues.  if you belive its wrong to kill someone, for any reason, it actually is, just like if you believe its wrong to eat meat sacrificed to idols it actually is. But if you believe its ok to defend yourself then it actually is! (and no, you cant just say “I belive its fine to commit genoside!” becase you honestly dont belive that even if you tell yourself you do) so ya, were all right! ya! (also if you want to talk to me about this please dont hold me to any statement in particular as I’m writing this at 11:15 at night and my brain is only working at 50% capacity XD) Praise God for awesome truths!

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@theinconceivable1, XD!! I think if you were given the chance, you’d take it up. Even with a girl. But you would just be so apprehensive to go in the door when you first got there.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1

That’s an interesting idea… which I have follow up questions on… but alas cannot get involved 🙁

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@parker: yay your probably right XD

@wordsmith
    : I’m pretty convinced of this so I would love to face your questions! I wrote this as well so it may help clarify what I’m saying… (or make things more confusing XD): (this also hasnt been carefully worded)

It’s funny, sin is such an overused term! In fact, I might say that when you say sin, ninety percent of people would think “breaking the law” or something along those lines. But you know that’s not right. You see, I believe sin isn’t an act at all, it’s not the deed of committing murder but instead the attitude behind it. You see, I believe sin is a heart condition. An attitude, one of rebellion, hard-heartedness, and unbelief that really makes a sinner. You see this truth is hidden throughout the bible if you just take the time to look. Take, for instance, the Pharisees . These people did all, the right acts. They were almost perfect, following the laws God gave to a ‘T’. But the funny thing is I can’t think of a single group of people Jesus treated harsher than them. He said they were “whitewashed tombs” beautiful on the outside but inside “full of dead man’s bones” these people had the right acts but the wrong attitudes. They did what they did to be praised and respected by people. Out of pride and selfishness they followed God’s commands not out of love as God desires. Thus they were the worst of sinners despite the fact they followed the law almost flawlessly. Or, for another example, take Jesus sermon on the mount. Here he says “if you even look on a woman with lust you have committed adultery with her in your heart” despite the fact that these people didn’t commit the act, they did commit the attitude and thus were still guilty of sin. Same thing with Jesus teaching on hate. He says “if you say to your brother “you fool!” You are worth of hell” why, because the attitude of sin was there and that’s what counts. If your still not convinced consider Paul’s teaching in Romans on eating meat sacrificed to idols. He says “the earth is the lord’s and all it contains” and that eating meat sanctified to idols is not a sin as “we know there are so such thing as other gods” however he also says that to him who doubts and believes eating meat sacrificed to idols is a sin for him the act is sin. So we see the same act, eating meat sacrificed to idols, but it is both a sinful and non-sinful act. How? Because the sin Isn’t in the act it’s in the additude! To the person who believes eating meat sacrificed to idols is wrong, it actually is sin because he is revealing against his conviction and thus against God. The one who believes it’s ok to eat meat sacrificed to idols does not sin because he does not go against what he believes and his convictions; thus the act is ok. So you can see, through these examples, that sin is an attitude of the heart, not an act. You may say “what about the law? It’s a sin to break the law and that’s an act, not an attitude isn’t it?” True but the reasons the act is always a sin is because that act cannot be commuted without the wrong additude. Take murder for instance. Now murder is different from killing, murder is the intentional killing of a human being committed out of an attitude of anger, hate and selfishness. You cannot murder someone with the right attitude, only kill them and believe me, there is a massive difference. If we go back to numbers we will see God set up “cities of refuge”, places where people who had accidentally killed someone could flee. However God says that, if that person had killed someone out of anger or malous (aka murders them) they were to put to death. The man who accidentally killed another is innocent and thus aloud to hide safely in these city’s; they had not committed sin because their heart attitude was not sinful. But others who committed the same act (aka killing someone) but did it out of the wrong heart additude were condemned! You see, certain acts, like murder and adultery can’t be commuted from a right attitude place and thus are classified as wrong acts when, in reality it’s still all about the attitude. Anyway, I hope this was helpful, I know it certainly was for me.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@theinconceivable1 If you feel 100% that where you are now is how God wants you to live then you can ignore everything I’m going to say. (I don’t want to be aggressive!) But if you are interested here are some videos I highly recommend. They are from a Youtube Channel called “The Bible Project” and while I can’t say that I agree with everything they say and believe, I haven’t run into any issues with this channel’s theology yet.  I find this channel to be a huge help in understanding the Bible’s narrative, purpose, and meaning.

Each of the videos is 6 minutes or less, and since I’m only sharing three that amounts to about 18 minutes. (So I hope you have enough time for them!)

Here is the suggested order you view these in. (Though I find them to be relevant no matter what order you watch them)

First video is a study and breakdown of the word “Sin” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNOZ7ocLD74

Next is a Video explaining the OT Law.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BGO9Mmd_cU

And the last one is a study and breakdown of the word “Justice” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A14THPoc4-4

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Oh they didn’t go on as links.. Hmm. Well maybe you can just Copy Paste into your search bar.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

After you watch those I would love to hear your thoughts on them.

Here are mine.. (Please watch videos and think about what they mean to you before reading what they mean to me!) (This is kind of just a recap really..)

Notes on the Video “Sin”
    Sinning (While yes, it is about your heart..) It comes down to meaning simply “To miss the goal”
    This begs the question of what exactly is the goal?
    The goal is to live righteously – To honor God and those created in his Image.  To honor the people God created is to honor God Himself.

Notes on “The Law”
    Again they point out that to obey God is to love the people he created.
    This is why I don’t think it’s ever right for me to kill for any reason.
    How can I really love someone whilst taking their life in order to preserve my own?

Notes on “Justice”
    Putting my life above another’s (even a horrible sinner) is me redefining what is good.
    It’s not my job- as a human, to define what is good and what is not. (The video “the Law” shows that the OT clearly establishes that human kind will always fail in that regard.)
    Jesus died for the unjust. How could I take the name “Christian” and not give up my own life to the unjust for the sake of love?

theinconceivable1
    @theinconceivable1

@the-fledgling-artist: Oh ok. I have heard of the Bible project and I’ve watched quite a few of their videos (their animations are really good!) so give me a sec and I’ll watch these! *elevator music plays in the background…*

*streaches* alright cool! now my thoughts (before I read the rest of what you wrote) uh… well I had watched the sin and justice one before and I think they’re good, however, as I was recently stating, I would argue the sin is in the attitude of our fallen hearts not the act itsself. But ya I think I agree, we are unable to keep the law or even the simple law of “love God and your neighbor” Jesus set for us without him giving us a new heart (and even then we still fail often) as for the justice video (I think this one is the coolest) I cant think of anything I disagree with, except maybe hte means by which we “free the oppressed” as we’ve seen that is quite controversial XD. And for the Law video, um, I dont know… they seemed to imply the law inst really important or a moral standard we should follow (which is contray to what wordsmith convinced me is true that the moral law still aplies to us today). But as far as the whole law being a story… ya I can see that. I think thats more of what the viedo was getting at. So ya, those are my thougths! Now I’m going to read the next part of your post… *DA DA DA DA DA DA DA. DA DA DA DA, DA DADADADADA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA, DA, DADA DA DA DA, DA, DA. (like my written jeopardy music XD)*

1. right but it not about missing the ‘actions’ its about missing the attitude. for example, I can do the right action (lets say give money to the poor) but if i do it for the wrong reasons its still a sin because I “missed the goal” witch is the attitude (aka doing it out of love)

2.  ok well, with your permsion, I will play the “wordsmiths” advocate here, but only if your ok with it XD

3.  ya alright well since I like seeing both sides of an argument and since the last one didnt really have a conclusion I’d be willing to debate this with you! however, you said you dont like debates so I’m not going to say anything unless you give me the green light. But, first, I think we should talk about my ‘sin is an attitude” claim because, if its true, both you and wordsmith could be right which would be a win-win!

anyway thanks for saying something! “Bye!”

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@theinconceivable1
    If playing the “wordsmith” can better help you explore what’s right and wrong then go for it, I suppose. 😉
    I have a lot of thoughts but they are all jumbled together, so I apologize if my reply feels scattered or random even.
    If you are genuinely interested in discussing this further then I certainly want to be willing to continue.

The thing about the OT (to my limited understanding) is that the role it plays to us as NT Christians is to one, reveal God’s character and two, reveal our character. It shows us that we could never live up to God’s standards, and how badly we need Jesus and the Holy spirit.  (Along with the fact that it’s super interesting History of course!)

Okay, on “Sin is an attitude”. Biblical topics are so broad and complicated, but here are my initial thoughts.  Yes, sin is an attitude, it’s a heart issue. But what is inside us eventually comes out. Yeah our attitudes can be sinful, but a sinful attitude will lead to sinful actions. (Just as a Christlike attitude cannot exist without Christlike actions. Not that the actions are the most important, but a Christlike attitude will always lead to Christlike behavior.)
    What you’re saying about this sounds right.. But it doesn’t quite feel right to me. I’m not entirely sure why.
    And then these verses came to my mind.
    “It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. (16)The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. (17)The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. (18)But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.”
    This is what Paul says in the first chapter of Philippians. Maybe this isn’t completely relevant but that’s just where my mind went.

In the end it comes down to this question. Can you really ever kill for “the right reason”? Is destroying another soul in order to extend my time on earth ever going to come from the right motives? Could that ever be done in a love like Jesus’ ?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@theinconceivable1… You may play my advocate…just know that I don’t entirely agree with you on the “sin” issue…but I can’t get into debate right now because of school. *skulks back*

Audiux!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,075 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest