An artist I am NOT.

Forums Art Art Discussions An artist I am NOT.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

Hello, anyone who joins me. I’ve tried my hand at artistic things a few times in the past, but I’m not very good at it. Drawing is virtually impossible  Painting is only “good” if I painting something that’s already been made.

What I mean by that last is that I’ve tried painting a few pictures. They turned out horrendous. I actually covered one with blue paint and was going to try something else but that turned out to be just as horrid.

So far, all I’ve been able to do is paint something that’s already made. Something made of wood, usually, though I tried something with nail polish (I’m actually fairly pleased with the result).

I bought several items for painting last week and now have them taking up space. I wish so much I could at least draw.

*UGH*

HAPPY WRITING!!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Hello artistic friend! I’m sure your work isn’t as bad as you think. Every artist I’ve ever met is highly (usually overly) critical of their work. (Including myself, haha.)

Getting better just takes a lot of dedication/practice/ and time, but if you keep painting I know you’ll see improvement eventually. Don’t give up!! 😀

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

DeepRun
    @deeprun

@kr-lalonde

Have you ever been taught drawing?

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, is a fantastic way to learn how to draw.  So much of it is learning how to see and then translating that to paper.  I.e., thing are shapes and translating those shapes into lines.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
    You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

@the-fledgling-artist

You could be right. I don’t know, though. And in order for you to be sure of what you’re saying I’d have to share photos of my paintings. IMO, they’re worse than Picasso.

@deeprun

Never. Not that I can recall, at least. I had health issues at 18 that put life “on hold” for several years and I only started wanting to be artistic in the last couple. I’ve tried drawing and believe me there’s no such ability in my fingers.

HAPPY WRITING!!

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@kr-lalonde I used to think the exact same thing until I found that same book DeepRun mentioned. I spent most of my early teenage years trying and trying to draw manga through garbage books through the library, convinced that if I just kept vaguely “working” at it, I would gradually improve…

Which didn’t happen, because only perfect practice makes perfect and I had no idea what I was doing =P

Reading and performing the exercizes in DotRSotB made me realize that I needed to learn what to do before I could do it.

Drawabox dot com actually gave me the what-to-do. Three hours into those exercises I realized all those years of previous “practice” were useless =P

Please don’t quit before you’ve even begun.

Aside from creative art, you said you like painting things? Though it’s not my favorite part of the hobby, I paint some miniatures for wargaming, and I know that people who develop their painting skill to a high level can command huge commission fees. Is that something you’ve ever considered?

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

DeepRun
    @deeprun

@kr-lalonde

No one is inately born knowing how to draw.  Some are able to see relationships better and then mimic them but it’s all a learning process.  Hence, a little instruction not only goes a long way but gets you there quicker.  It doesn’t have to be formal instruction.  There are about a billion YouTube videos that offer “how to”.  A lot are really decent.

It’s about learning how to draw what you see, not what you think.

Our lovely left brains (which yes, yes we kinda need) do a hostile take over of sorts when you try to draw.  If you go to draw a “face” your mind immediately pulls up the symbol.  The quaint little smiley face. Two dots and a curve.  Not really a face!

Study and practice instead help you to draw an upside down egg shape which is divided into thirds, the features falling into their appropriate places.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
    You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

Thank you both, @deeprun and @taylorclogston. I’ll keep at it. I should have more than enough time to explore YouTube videos (at the very least) in the coming weeks.

HAPPY WRITING!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

This is with acrylics. I left too much water on the paint brush. :(

HAPPY WRITING!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

I also forgot to paint the blue sky first so I wouldn’t have to “go around” the flowers with the blue paint.

HAPPY WRITING!!

KR LaLonde
    @kr-lalonde

My next attempt will be watercolors. Maybe I’ll have more success with those.

HAPPY WRITING!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest