Always family and late villains.

Forums Fiction Plotting Always family and late villains.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Skredder 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Skredder
    @skredder

Okay, so first off I’ve noticed that just about every single one of my stories has some sort of family element to it. My short stories and my numerous WIP novels, everyone of them has…I don’t want to say theme because they have their own theme but there is a lot of family in there. Now, I’m not talking just about birth family, although that is in there, but also the family that you gain on the way, the friends that become your family. I’m not putting this in the theme section because it isn’t the theme of the stories, but I don’t know what it is.

Second, is it okay to not introduce the bad guy until way late in the story? I have conflict in the story that was started by the bad guy but no one knows and no one even knows he exists until way late in the story. I’m at 50,000 words and I just introduced him. There might be another 20,000 words.

K.M. Small
      @morreafirebird

@skredder I think having a lot of family elements is great! Just so long as it isn’t the same thing every time (e.g. a brother and his older sister set out to save the world), then I don’t see anything wrong with it. I like doing the same thing with my stories.

Generally, you want to introduce him around the 25% mark. However, you don’t have to introduce the bad guy himself, just the antagonistic force, which can be an army or a person working for the bad guy or something like that. The characters are going to have to be fighting something for most of the story, and the bad guy is probably going to be behind it all, so that would count as the antagonistic force being present. And do the characters know this guy exists? As in, have they talked about him or heard about him or maybe even seen him from a distance? If you foreshadow it, then it should work fine.

I hope that helps 🙂

~ Khylie (formerly Audrey)
      An old-soul bookdragon with a pet phoenix. Probably lost in an imaginary worl

Skredder
      @skredder

@morreafirebird Thank you! With the family thing, it isn’t always the same. Sometimes it’s more of a sibling bond, other times it’s more of a parental bond, and other times it’s a mix of both.

With the bad guy, I do introduce an antagonistic situation at definitely the 25% mark, but there are other antagonistic situations throughout the story. There is a teeny, tiny amount of foreshadowing that there is someone behind it all pulling the strings. No one has a clue as to who he is. There is only one mention of him, and that’s at the 25% mark. Most of the antagonistic force is situational from the 25% mark to the 67% mark.

Thank you. 🙂

K.M. Small
        @morreafirebird

@skredder I personally think that’s wonderful! A lot of mainstream stories these days don’t have strong family relationships in them, so there’s definitely a niche for stories that have the opposite 😀

That could definitely work! Slipping in a few other little clues throughout the story might help as well, just so it doesn’t seem too surprising when it’s revealed there is another villain.

~ Khylie (formerly Audrey)
        An old-soul bookdragon with a pet phoenix. Probably lost in an imaginary worl

Skredder
        @skredder

@morreafirebird Thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind! 🙂

WarrenLuther04
          @warrenluther04

@skredder This sounds perfectly fine. I think family elements are awesome parts of stories! And I feel like keeping your readers unaware of who the villain actually is is a great way to hook your readers and hype up the suspense. (BUt that might just be me…) 🙂

House Vizsla, Clan Avis
          Member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Phoenix Squadron
          ENFJ-T

Skredder
          @skredder

@warrenluther04 Thanks! I’m still not sure how I got started with that in my stories. I don’t recall reading that, so I’m curious where it came from.

WarrenLuther04
            @warrenluther04

@skredder No problem. It’s not a bad thing. *pauses* Are you talking about something I wrote, or part of your story?

House Vizsla, Clan Avis
            Member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Phoenix Squadron
            ENFJ-T

Skredder
            @skredder

@warrenluther04 Part of my story.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest