Advice on having the MC driving the story forward?

Forums Fiction Characters Advice on having the MC driving the story forward?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Schmidt 1 day, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

When I write, I tend to just sort of write as I go. But a lot of times the MC (Main Character) is just sort of there, and they’re never really the ones actually driving the story forward.

So, is there any tips or advice about this particular subject? I’d be pleased to hear more on it!

Thanks!

(ISFP!) Artistic, redheaded, nature-loving, crazy writer. Mine favorite Indiana animal: Red Fox.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@andrew

Hey!SO what your saying is, your main character doesn’t act as the main character?

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Andrew Schmidt
      @andrew

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer, well, not that the character doesn’t act as the MC, but that the character doesn’t always move the plot forward in the ways I need for the theme to make sense and all.

A lot of my current stories are more action-oriented, and a lot is going on in the plot, but I was wondering if there were any tips on how to motivate the character to rise up from all despair and hopelessness and then fighting against the villain. To reacting to acting.

Was what I just said clear, or did it sound a little vague to you?

(ISFP!) Artistic, redheaded, nature-loving, crazy writer. Mine favorite Indiana animal: Red Fox.

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

Hello!

I can’t claim to know a lot on this topic, but I’ll try to help with what I do know (this is a struggle for me, too)! Because yeah, misbehaving characters aren’t helpful. . .

I personally hate trying to answer this question myself, but what are your MC’s goals/desires/needs? Those can be a huge part of what drives them. (If you’re like me and only have a fuzzy idea of what drives your characters, enneagram personality tests are a great place to start).

Also, who/what does he or she love most? I mean, not that I support killing off/tormenting characters (*looks over personal character graveyard, clears throat, glances back*), but if your character is down in the dumps, they’ll need something worth fighting for to pull them out. Putting whatever they value most on the line can force them to take action they otherwise might not have had the will to do.

I hope that helped a little! If there’s a particular story you’re working on where you’re dealing with this, would you mind giving some more plot details? I’m curious about what you’re writing!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
          @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@andrew LOL! Umm. Yeah. A little vague, but i think i get it.

I don’t think I know how to help though. . . I think Naiya Dyani has better answers than I can give!

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Andrew Schmidt
          @andrew

@naiya-dyani,

Well, I have several stories I’m working on right now. But the main one I am focusing on right now is Chloe and Zoe. I actually posted that one on a thread to get feedback on it, so that I can learn how to write better. It’s around 40 pages, (and I’m not trying to make it too long) but I’m getting around the mid plot point. This is the part where the MC, Chloe, needs to go from reacting to acting. And Nicholas just sort of destroyed her town and killed lots of people… and therefore, she is in a downtrodden mess. And I’m still figuring out how to make her take control of the story and step up to Nicholas; therefore, driving the plot forward and not just standing there waiting for things to happen.

Her goals, desires, or needs? The MC simply wants a stable life, her twin Zoe, happiness… but that is somewhat impossible with Nicholas around. Also, he has had traumatic experiences in the past. Such as her mother dying and so forth.

I do have the plot written out, but I’m still critiquing it.

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer: that’s okay! 😀

Andrew Schmidt
            @andrew

‘Also, he has had traumatic experiences in the past.’

Ahem. Sorry, I meant “she” not “he”.

Naiya Dyani
              @naiya-dyani

@andrew

Oooh, what thread is the story on? I’d love to read it!

If your plot is such that putting Zoe on the line would work, that could pull Chloe out enough to take action. Or if she realizes she isn’t going to have peace until Nicholas is stopped, or if she has a vengeful personality . . . there are several options, but they all depend on the details of your plot and characters’ personalities.

So yeah. Lots of ways it could go. Feel free to ignore whatever I say if it doesn’t work with your story or if you just don’t like it :D.

edit: sorry, kept messing up your tag 😛

• This reply was modified 2 days, 6 hours ago by  Naiya Dyani.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Andrew Schmidt
                @andrew

@naiyah-dyani: The thread is on General Writing Discussions. But last time I checked (today) it was one Page Two. Also, I named the thread “Chloe and Zoe.” If you want, I could tag you every time I write the next chapter.

Oh, and about the tags… that’s really okay! I have a bad habit about that.

Thank you for yours answers about this topic as well. 😀

Andrew Schmidt
                  @andrew

@naiya-dyani, and speaking of bad habits… sorry, I just spelled your tag wrong too! And that was not on purpose! *stares through fingers*

Naiya Dyani
                    @naiya-dyani

@andrew

Are you sure about that :’D ?

I’ve got the thread pulled up now and will read it when I get the chance! Thank you!

edit: agh, I forgot the tag again! 😀

• This reply was modified 1 day, 15 hours ago by  Naiya Dyani.

Andrew Schmidt
                      @andrew

@naiya-dyani

You’re welcome!

*scans the horizon for Bad Habiters of the Kingdom of Authoria*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest