Advanced Writers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca W
    @rebecca-w

Hello fellow advanced writers! I thought I would put a spot where we could discuss writing bits and bobs.

So, what particular skill are you working on the most right now?

For me it would be characters. Also putting things into practice, rather than just knowing things theoretically.

INTP Fantasy/ Sci-fi writer. Secretly also an elf. A Parimi and of Camp Artifex.

Maddie Morrow
    @maddiejay

Hi! I was in the advanced category too.

Right now I’m working on better implementing themes, and letting my characters’ emotions show through.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

Apparently I am advance…. *shrugs* Don’t ask how. I’ve never even finished a draft. 0.o But hey, I guess I know my stuff! 😉 Right now I’m working on world-building and my descriptions, because while I’m decent at everything else, my descriptions suck. Terribly. I don’t know how I managed to pull it off, actually. I naturally write with an almost minimalist style, and I love showing only the things that are necessary–every word has a meaning. Every name has a meaning. Every action has a meaning.

It’s almost crazy. I’m learning to loosen up a little, but honestly, I love dropping references and hints through names and word derivatives in my writing.

My characters are pretty good, I think. Right now, I’m just trying to stop loving my villain so much that he’s not at all evil. 😉 But we’re getting there. XD

"Come waste your time with me..."

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@rebecca-w, I only did the test once and got intermediate. Though I did it just once. For some reason, I feel like I’m either in the center of intermediate and advanced, or almost advanced yet still intermediate…

But anyway, I’m trying to work on making my themes better and that stuff, than just improvising it. Though I still usually have an idea of what I want, I try my best to stay true to the theme. Xd

But even when I end up improvising them, (obviously) I go back and edit it… Or give it to my sister to read and see what she thinks.

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Andrew Schmidt
      @andrew

Oh, sorry. Was this thread just for the advanced writers? If so, sorry. I just clicked the thread before reading the label. But oh well. Xd

But also, when I give it for my sister to read, she just tells me the basic parts what she thinks I should change.

(Though I usually just edit the story myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I only do that every once in a while. Not to mention to have people reading yours stories is one of the fun parts of being a writer.

Andrew Schmidt
        @andrew

*disappears from the thread before spreading too much attention*

Libby
          @libby

I landed in the advanced category.  I would agree with that I need to put into practice my theoretical knowledge.  Another area which I struggle with is implementing themes.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Michelle
          @mlbolangerauthor

HI! Another ‘advanced’ author here. =) I’m going to focus on the more technical aspects of writing. Sentence structure, word choices, and style. I am also going to be working on making sure all my characters have a distinct and well rounded ‘voice.’ I write contemporary romance with alternating points of view and I have a tendency to let one character get a bit weak while the other takes over the story. I want to get better at balancing them.

I also want to try writing a story by developing it from the antagonist’s journey first. I have a new fantasy series brewing in a note book, and I think working out the story from her point of view first will help.

@Sarah-inkdragon – I have the same problem with my villains. They somehow always end up being the good guy. =)

Clumsy but cute. Apologizes a lot. Doesn't shed. Much.

Sarah Inkdragon
          @sarah-inkdragon

@michelle

Hey! Haha, so I actually have this one character who’s father is villain but is a good guy and the character is good but a villain and he works for the villain who is villain but has kind of good intentions…. yeah. My characters are a mess XD. But that one character I was talking about is one of my favorites–he’s kind of a rip off of the “my father is evil” stereotype, except with a twist–his father fights for the good side, and he fights for the “bad guys”. He’s also mute, which is really interesting to write sometimes…. and he has a telepathic giant wolf familiar…. *shrug* He’s fun. He’s very conflicted, and I love his character. If you could sum him up in one phrase it would be “not all heroes are good men and not all good men are heroes.” Typical anti-hero. 😉

Michelle Rose
          @michelle

Sarah, that character sounds very interesting. I want to know more about him!!😃

Sarah Inkdragon
          @sarah-inkdragon

@michelle Haha, well he’s the son of a famous rebel named Erabrus Wolfsbane, a general in the rebel organization. Unfortunately, the whole theme of this character–who’s name is Shadow, btw(at least that’s his false name)–is what happens when people don’t look any deeper than outward appearance. It’s kind of like that Bible verse that says man only looks at the outside, but God sees your heart.

Anyhow, Shadow’s father is a general in the rebel organization, but only out of spite and hatred towards the emperor they’re trying to overthrow. Erabrus wants to see the emperor fall and himself rise in his place as a new dictator, and he’s not a very nice person. What’s more, he hates magic. So when his son(Shadow) starts showing signs of holding magical powers, he tries to get rid of them by getting rid of the thing that most people think controls magic–the voice. He made Shadow mute. (My poor child….)

And Shadow, being a halfway intelligent person, stopped trying to please his father when he realized he’d never love him with magical powers, and instead betrayed his father and the rebels in anger and hurt and joined the side of the Emperor. And that’s where he’s been ever since, trying to get revenge on his cruel father and stop him from taking the Emperor’s place as dictator. But he’s got a constantly conflicted spirit since he knows that the things he does for the emperor are wrong, but he hates his father and wants to hurt him by hurting his chances at becoming dictator…

Yeah. He’s fun. XD

Michelle
          @mlbolangerauthor

@sarah-inkdragon I love this!

“not all heroes are good men and not all good men are heroes.” Typical anti-hero.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Michelle.

Clumsy but cute. Apologizes a lot. Doesn't shed. Much.

Sarah Inkdragon
          @sarah-inkdragon

@michelle Aw, thanks. I myself am completely baffled by the modern worldview that nothing’s your fault, it’s always someone else’s problem, and this character is actually inspired by that. I personally believe that everyone should own up for their own mistakes, and that’s actually where the idea for this whole novel came from–consequences. So the whole theme of it is what happens when no one accepts that their actions, good or bad, create consequences. 😉 I’m glad you liked it! Hopefully someday I can publish it. XD

And yeah, he really is my little anti hero. He’s so sad sometimes I just want to hug him. *wipes tear* 😉

Jzhurricane
          @jzhurricane

I was placed in the advanced arena by the quiz,(I still don’t know if it is right or not.) and I am totally blown away by the subjects you guys are discussing. I guess I haven’t really thought about focusing on one aspect of my fictional writing at a time before. I am fairly spontaneous and I tweak the story over and over until it is to my standards(which still requires editing.)

Maybe I have a lot to learn. I’ll just keep reading.

Don’t let me leave Murph!

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
            @myclipboardismyviolin

Right now I’m working on improving my characters and the emotional impact that they have on the reader, and including more descriptions of setting in-text. I tend to ignore my settings and pretend that they aren’t there.

I’m also working on adding more of my advanced spiritual knowledge into my work. Much of my early work isn’t even Christian, I’m finding out upon looking through my old writing files. I grew up in secular public school and reading secular books with no idea of how to place the Truth into my writing and offer my pen in service to my Creator. “So that’s why my writing isn’t working.” Ouch.

Even if I decide to go with a secular publisher or self-publish on the lam, I want God and Jesus to own my work now – otherwise I’m not going to be satisfied with my work and I’m letting my audience down. That was by far my biggest writing problem, and I’m now working on solving it.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest