fb

A World Without Fire

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding A World Without Fire

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

As the title suggests, I’m creating a world without the existence of fire. It gets really mind boggling when you start trying to imagine the world without fire, for instance I’ve ruled out a lot of technology and other things like:

• Engines (no cars, planes, etc)
    • Cooked Food….boy I’m going to have a hard time explaining that one…
    • Firearms
    • Light
    • Hot chocolate

Alright so maybe the last one wasn’t exactly the most life changing…but I keep turning around and discovering more and more things that would be non-existent.

Now this world does have an element that I’ve named, Ektos. It’s a silvery substance that can replace many things. It’s something humans and stars emit. This is what plants feed off of, what gives light to this world, and may explain some technology issues.

Now that I’ve covered the bases, what are some things that, without fire, wouldn’t exist? What are your opinions on a world where fire is unheard of?

Thanks!!!!

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I don’t have any ideas, unfortunately, but this is a super intriguing idea!

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@scarletimmortalized  Hmm. Fascinating idea! I have read about a South American tribe that did not know fire existed and were shocked when castaways demonstrated it! :_

Well, all raw food, like you said, no sharp tools or instruments unless a strongman pounds them down… No glass or containers that we might use, only clay pottery (or maybe that too?).  Will keep thinking…

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@scarletimmortalized A world without Hot Chocolate?

Well…. that’s depressing. 😛

😉

Anyways, wow, this sounds really neat! And once you start thinking about it, many things wouldn’t work the same way or wouldn’t exist.

Thought while I was looking at your list there I had a couple thoughts… People could create lightbulbs so to speak by capturing any firefly-like-creatures, putting them in a jar (if they have jars) and then setting that jar in a larger jar filled with water – probably the same height so that they can punch holes in the lid of the jars and not drown the bugs. xD The water on the outside would illuminate the bug’s light…. I know this because of living in the country and sometimes going for days without light or water and setting a unused water bottle over the flashlight to create a sort of makeshift lamp.

Aaannyways…

Do what you want with that piece of information. 🙂

Do they still have a sun? Or Ektos replace that too? Because I know of ways to cook food with just the sun. If not, I’ll keep thinking.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Wow, just thinking about this for five minutes really makes me appreciate fire. xD

I, David
    @i-david

@scarletimmortalized I mean… no fire equals no sun. And all that entails.

I mean, man’s primary source of light would be missing… this is the darkest timeline.

Also, did you think of the ramifications of no heat that come with no sun or fire?

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

@scarletimmortalized this is a fun world building exercise!

As the title suggests, I’m creating a world without the existence of fire. It gets really mind boggling when you start trying to imagine the world without fire, for instance I’ve ruled out a lot of technology and other things like:

• Engines (no cars, planes, etc)
    • Cooked Food….boy I’m going to have a hard time explaining that one…
    • Firearms
    • Light
    • Hot chocolate

As the one oddball female who doesn’t particularly care for chocolate, the loss of HOT chocolate would be no biggie. =)

However, though there is no FIRE, there can still be sources of heat. Off the top of my head…

• Chemical reactions
    • Friction
    • A fantasy substance or creature that by itself emits heat.

You could then play with natural ways or inventions that would hold and amplify the heat generated by any of the above methods. As mentioned by @evelyn, there can also be natural sources of light generated by plants, fungus, or animals. Your scenario of no fire also doesn’t rule out the existence of electricity, does it?

Clumsy but cute. Apologizes a lot. Doesn't shed. Much.

Princess Foo
    @princess-foo

@scarletimmortalized I have actually thought about something like this before, and talked about it with my dad. He suggested using mirrors and magnifiers to create a heat storage—heating up rocks to keep the heat inside of them. You could cook meat on the rocks. If the world nailed the technology enough, then they could probably focus sunlight enough to melt metal. Solar power would be very important in a world like this. Glass making would also be very important, since it allows you to manipulate light.

I also thought of some bamboo like plants that glow like glowsticks when you break them.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

Evelyn
    @evelyn

You could cook meat on the rocks.

Yep, that’s what I had in mind. 🙂

Also, have you ever heard of adiabatic cooling and heating? That would be something to look into.

Hey! This week’s physical science lesson is actually coming to use! 🙂

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Well, you wouldn’t really have metal at all. I would say they could cook with solar ovens, but they would kinda need metal or glass for that. Maybe if they could scrape together enough heat to melt some low temperature melting metals they could slowly build more and more complex solar burners until they could create glass, then they could create some basic generators and store electricity in batteries. Then they could power acres of automated mirrors that all focus on a giant tower with molten salt that through the heat somehow or other creates large amounts of electricity (according to my brother such a thing exists).

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@scarletimmortalized *takes a moment to appreciate the irony of your profile pic* The first thing I though of is how dangerous winter would be. Without an easy source of heat, traveling or working after dark would be pretty awful.

That’s all I can think of. That’s a quite intriguing idea, by the way.

I’m going to appreciate hot chocolate now.

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@selah-chelyah I hadn’t thought about glass O.O

@evelyn
    Ooh that’s a neat idea for an alternative light source…however this world still has electricity…so lightbulbs are still a go. Yes their ‘sun’ is made of Ektos..think of a brighter moon. Ooh I’ll have to look that up, thanks!

@i-david
    Yes, I did, Extos replaces fire in some ways. I have it that our world’s primary element is Fire, while this world’s element is Ektos. Ektos resides in a non-physical form in all living things. Humans in that world acclimate to the weather, which means they are never uncomfortable. They don’t even sweat.

@mlbolangerauthor
    Those are great ideas! Yep, they still have electricity. But if a lightning bolt hit a tree, it wouldn’t burst into flames.

@princess-foo
    That’s interesting! I wonder how to make glass without fire since it requires such high temperatures…Ooh I like the bamboo plant idea!

@daeus-lamb
    Ooh! A technology development would fit in well with their history. It’s difficult to make sure that all of this ‘no fire’ business seems completely normal to these people.

@ncstokes
    Haha! I hadn’t even realized that until you pointed it out…That’s where Ektos comes in and allows their bodies to naturally acclimate to any weather! Thanks!

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

J. B. Stanhope
    @jbstanhope

@i-david Well, technically the sun’s light isn’t from fire. It’s from a nuclear fusion reaction.

@scarletimmortalized

This caused me to realize that nuclear reactions are another way of generating heat. However, you would have to think through if the technology necessary to develop nuclear reactors requires fire.

It is pretty hard to think about what technology would have developed like if fire did not exist. I guess it depends on how the Ektos is used.

Also @mlbolangerauthor mentioning chemical reactions made be think that since fire is a type of chemical reaction, it would be interesting how having no fire would effect the chemistry of that world.
    But you probably don’t need to get into the details of chemistry in your world building.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@scarletimmortalized Okay! *thumbs up*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest