fb

A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne_the_noob14

They way I put it is this: Once you become a writer you are given creative license. A license that can never truly be stripped away. 🙂

Yes, “puzzles” is an inside joke. And yes, you’d better get those sixteen done.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Hahaha, yes that irony is gold.

(lol and what did I just do?? Sorry, I didn’t even realize it until I said it. 😆 )

And yes… investing in kids’ lives. ‘Tis very important. And a most honorable job.

Indeed. 🙂

Quick answer: Not forever, just I feel like I need a break. As in I probably won’t work seriously on novels for the rest of high school. The one exception would be NaNoWriMo. (Because.) And then who knows after that. Depends on what I decide to do. Where I go. We’ll see though. Who knows what will actually happen?

Okay, that’s what I thought. The trench coat gave it away. (:

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

Oh good! NaNo is cool. I recently realized that I might not be a writer-(ing) person… but I can be a reading writer. So I went to the library and picked up three books for study. Fiction books. That I expect to enjoy very much. But, study all the same.

When do you graduate?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Interesting! I have never heard the idea that there is such a thing as a “reading writer” or a “writing …writer(?)” What books did you check out?

2022. How’s graduation coming for you? 😛

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

Those are just terms I came up with. I’m not writing, but I’ll read as though I’m a writer.

I checked out Words Of Radiance, by Brandon Sanderson (book two of the series). Empire, by Orson Scott Card. And I bought The Sun Also Rises, by Hemingway.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Hmm. I guess that’s why you find writing book report sort of essays easier than I do. (At least I feel like we’ve had the conversation before…) I don’t really have problems talking about books. Perhaps it’s more of the writing style of a book report that drains me of my energy and thoughts. *shrugs*

Oh neat. I’ve never read anything Brandon Sanderson (to be perfectly honest I’m a little scared if I do I’ll never be able to turn back and find myself shoving my school down my throat so that I can find time to read).  I just started Ender’s Game, but have never read Empire though. I love Old Man and the Sea, but have never read anything else by Hemingway. You’ll have to let me know what you think of all those books. Are there any reasons you picked those out specifically?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

I enjoy writing book report type things because I’m solving them. Not that they have problems but they’re holding something right in front of my face that affects me but doesn’t want me to exactly notice. So I look at it, and figure out how… and writing about it is one of the best ways to do that.

That being said I’ve not written many legit book reports.

Sanderson is interesting, because his quality is inconsistent. Some of his books are REALLY good. Others are half. Others are meh. So far, this series is one of the REALLY good ones, and I’ve heard NOTHING to the contrary. His writing style is methodical in building each book is about the size of LOTR, in a trilogy. His world building is absolutely amazing, and he sets up the plot in an interesting way that I have yet to fully pinpoint.

Orson Scott Card is a solid writer. He’s one that doesn’t have brilliant prose so much as a simplistic way of rubbing you raw. He is REALLY down to earth, and works characters super well. Ender’s Game is amazing (and has a funny title, because it could also mean Ender Is Game), as is Ender’s Shadow. I started getting into the sequel set that starts with Speaker For the Dead, and wasn’t a fan. But the Shadow series is one I’m willing to go into. Empire was an Orson Scott Card book that I believe is dystopian, and seem to have a feel that I might be looking at in my WIP (Puzzles).

For Hemingway… I’ve read many of his short stories and wasn’t a fan. I saw this novel on the shelf though, and nearly passed it up. Instead I picked it up and read the first page. It grabbed me. So I bought it. And, I’m pretty sure it’s omniscient.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Mm. That makes a lot of sense.

Have you read a lot of Sanderson’s books? Which was your favorite?

(and has a funny title, because it could also mean Ender Is Game)

Ooh. I hadn’t thought of that. Intriguing. 😀

You should try Old Man in the Sea. Either people hate it or love it. It’s pretty short too.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

I’m decently well read in Sanderson. I’ve read the Mistborn trilogy, two of the Mistborn sequel trilogy, The Reckoners trilogy, The Way Of Kings, Legion (all three novellas), and Snapshot. I wouldn’t recommend all of them, and some of them only with certain warning.

That alternate way of seeing Ender’s Game is not how I think it’s supposed to be seen… but I think it’s instead a funny coincidence.

And maybe some day I’ll read that… some day.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Right.

Yeah, probably not, but it is interesting to think about.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@wordsmith Ah. Yes. That’s a nice, concise way to put it.

*nods*

@evelyn

I read that one (The Old Man and the Sea) by Hemingway recently for language arts… It’s not a book I would read again on purpose, but I enjoyed it for the sake of studying the writing style. It was pretty meh, for me, for the most part.

That’s funny XD   Ender Is Game. Nice. I hadn’t seen that, either, until now.

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne_the_noob14

What’s nice and concise?

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@wordsmith “Once you become a writer you are given creative license. A license that can never truly be stripped away.” I was saying that’s a nice, concise way to summarize my rather long, confusing couple paragraphs earlier 🙂

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne_the_noob14

Oh! Thanks. Glad that was helpful.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@anne_the_noob14

I read that one (The Old Man and the Sea) by Hemingway recently for language arts… It’s not a book I would read again on purpose, but I enjoyed it for the sake of studying the writing style. It was pretty meh, for me, for the most part.

Yeah. Like I said. Either you like it or you don’t. Know that you are not alone. I was the only person in my co-op class that liked it. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest