fb

A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@wordsmith 😀

Yesssss…. SO much better than the tv series…

@ariella-newheart
    Thanks!! *grabs a handful of Milky Ways and Kit-Kats*

(I agree with Buddy on the point of Caedon wouldn’t refer to his father as anything besides “father.” That bugged me a little as I read it.)

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne_the_noob14… I think one of the biggest issues with the TV show is that Michael Landon seemed to handle the part more like he was a celebrity than the character in the part.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@ariella-newheart @wordsmith

Thanks for tagging me, Buddy!

It is okay to switch between omniscient third, and close/limited third, but it’s best and most effective to split it very clearly from the main text, otherwise the POV won’t feel as genuine for the rest of the chapter.

I’d recommend making a short interlude/aside ‘chapter’ for these mysterious sections you mentioned (e.g. once the character leaves, you can end the chapter, then have a tiny chapter about what they didn’t notice lurking in the shadows there).

If you don’t like miniature chapters, you could also just put a little break (whatever symbol you’re using for time-skips, if you have anything) and add the omniscient section in at the end, perhaps in italics.

Does that answer your question?

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@jane-maree

Ooooooh! Thank you! You got da words!

I thought there was something like that… but point of view is one of the things I’m less educated about, and couldn’t remember exactly what point of view was being primarily used in the examples I had in mind. So again, thank you. Simple words, helpful words.

While you’re here… might I ask how your writing is going?

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@wordsmith Precisely. *thumbs-up*

@anne_the_noob14
    Thanks! That input is super helpful.

@jane-maree
    Yes, that does answer my question. Thank you so much! I’ll have to do a little editing to separate out the omniscient sections. 🙂

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@wordsmith Anytime! Thanks for tagging me; I’m always happy to help. 😊

My writing is going okay! I’m currently in the middle of planning my edits, after getting feedback from a professional editor. Hopefully November will see me editing away and by next year I’ll be finished pretty much all the edits I can do.

@ariella-newheart
    Yay! Best wishes for editing. 😀

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@wordsmith *nods*

@ariella-newheart
    *nods again*

🙂

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@jane-maree… certainly try to remember your name. 😉

Ooooh! Editing! yes. That thing. *grins* It’s an interesting thing. And wonderfully strange.

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@wordsmith oh, my friend. XD you are something. I’m glad we are officially friends now.

Unfortunately, the past month has been . . . awful. Well, at least when it comes to time. It’s nice to be making money, but balancing two jobs sucks. And the holidays are coming, which means that since I work retail, I will be dead from Black Friday until Christmas. All that to say that I don’t think I can do this :\ I’m so sorry. Wish I could help. But I’m cheering for you!

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@cassandraia… Yes, friend. Thank you. 🙂 I understand. And I understand so well, I have an announcement to make to the rest of you wonderful people.

@anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart

@evelyn

@ashira

@jane-maree

*inhales* Okay… here’s my announcement. Buddy J. has had to shelve writing for a little while. Life pretty literally jumped on his back in a way that meant something had to go. For now. I pray I’m not done forever, but at this point in time I won’t be able to produce. I run a martial arts school… and the martial arts demands just got WAY higher. That being said… if you post here, I will reply. I’m still with SE, I’m still a writer, and I still love talking writing.

SO! In celebration of those of you who are still writing… Pick one MC (or Side Character) you really love, and write a paragraph about him… outlining the things that you love about him. It’ll be different from person to person, we’re all very different writers. And I’d love to hear from you. And, I’ll start.

“Emmit Darker. A small part of my heart, and a big heart himself. Well, a little heart, really. He only comes up to my shoulder, and I’m a little over six feet of length. But he’s tough. One of those guys that is so tough, he might be mistaken for a piece of coal hardened into diamond. His objective understanding of life makes him hard to move, but in reality he’s floating a bit and needs help. He wears a trench coat that’s impenetrable… mostly. And this is probably his greatest weakness. He is The Last Enforcer.”

“P.S. In case you hadn’t guessed, he’s had a rough life. 😉 “

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@wordsmith  Thats pretty cool you run a martial arts school!  I get life getting in the way of writing – I have been on here very little lately.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

You character sounds cool.  What is the name of the story?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@ashira

Thanks!

This character is from the story ya’ll would have been street teaming for. It’s about the unearthing of the first superheroes.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Hey, sorry to hear you’ve gotten tackled by every writer’s greatest enemy, but dude. What happened to your impressive martial skills???  😉

Seriously though, I hope that doesn’t mean anything bad, but that the demands have increased because of good and healthy business growth. Don’t forget that its not just a job but that you’re investing in kids’ lives. 🙂

I’ll be praying that life doesn’t get too crazy and that you find time to rest!

Ha, funny. Yesterday I actually talked myself out of writing altogether. It’s been an ongoing thing (don’t tell any of the Flabbits 😛 ) but yeah. All that to say I don’t have a MC right now. 😆

Oooh. Is Emmit the MC of the puzzles story??

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

Thank you. My martial arts skills… are… refining. And they are currently this writer’s greatest enemy. So, I really didn’t have a chance. XD The irony.

And yes… investing in kids’ lives. ‘Tis very important. And a most honorable job.

*gasp* YOU’RE NOT GOING TO BE WRITING AT ALL? Or just a day by day basis. If it’s like me… and you just need a big break, I hear ya. And if it’s a day by day basis… maybe you need a big break. 😜

Also yes. *grins* Emmit is the “…puzzles…” character.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@wordsmith

*nods* I have just a small thing to say here. This thought floated through my mind just now as I read “I’m still a writer, and I still love talking writing“, and I found it surprisingly comforting. I have come to think of my writing hobby as a dear friend and, if I ever have to give it up, I think I can say with some certainty that I’d be a bit broken and empty for a while. Maybe some of you guys will also find this comforting:

I think that those of us who have adopted the title of “writer”, and those of us who the title adopted us, even if we have to stop writing altogether… we’re still writers. Even if we don’t actually write. The name is there forever. Permanent. We’ll still have those random plot ideas at 2 AM. We’ll still be walking down the street and see a person and think, “That guy looks like somebody I could use for a MC.” We’ll still see a story idea in everything.

So, speaking to anybody who reads this, if you have to permanently (or temporarily) step away from writing, and you’re feeling sad that you “can’t be a writer anymore”, NO. You won’t “not be a writer”. You may be “not writing”, but you’ll always be a writer. You’ll never lose that. You may lose your thumb drive with your thirty-nine WIPs. You may lose your notebook with all your plot ideas. And eventually you may even lose that favorite MC that you spent a year developing. But you’ll never lose your title, “Writer”.

And actually, I could put @ashira ‘s forum signature quote here in conclusion. I just realized it fits perfectly.

*coughs and goes off to find some water*

The “puzzles” character, huh. I won’t even try to unravel that. It sounds like an inside joke 😛

On the subject of writing a paragraph about one of my MCs… I will do that later. After I write those sixteen more paragraphs of my outline… 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest