A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions A Street Team? Is that what they're called?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

Hola! Mi estas la Forĝisto-de-Vortojn. Wordsmith.

Hey there. I just wrote three sentences, each in a different language. Actually, I didn’t just write three sentences. I just used an exclamation mark and two periods to divide three different sets of words into three different phrases. In short, I took the liberty of Wordsmith and Writer. Both of those are proper nouns, just because (actually, one of them is a name I use, the other is a term I apply to myself very officially).

There we go. You have met me. The ENTJ, smushing of of created definitions and words, a writer, one who plays with language. Over the past two years and three quarters of one I’ve been working on a story. In short, I started it somewhere around the early-ish side of 2017, and I’m still working on it to this day.

Ah, this day. That is where we are, at whatever time we read this. In my current ‘this day’, as I write to you all ‘right now’, I am looking for a group of people. Because I am an elitist and want to make you all special just because you put up with me as I write my story to the very end. Yes, you will be my Stormtroopers, my Nazis. Actually, not.

That was just to let my arrogant streak out so it doesn’t cloud the rest of what I write.

*inhales* This part is hard… because part of me is afraid about sharing this story with you. See, I’m a strange mix of perfectionist (ignore that term, because it probably doesn’t really apply to me, and is just dramatic), but I really want my story to be published. The only thing is that it’s no where near being published, and if I tell too many people about it too soon, and then end up changing things… have I let you all down?

I suspect some of you out there have this same fear, which is why I tell you. Because I’m about to ask if you might be willing to join me in my quest. It doesn’t pay money, it doesn’t give you more time, it’s a plea for help and encouragement… maybe even some beta-reading (which I pray is only half as scathing as when I do it 😬).

I’d be setting up a Facebook group, which means you would need to have Facebook. And I wouldn’t want you to try and stretch yourself thin. But if you have some time, and want to join me, to read snippets, see some of my extroverted thought process, answer questions like you’re already fans (*dies* WHAT AM I ASKING FOR HERE?)… (*coughs*) Yeah. Maybe do some beta-reading. See my cover art as it shapes and drags its way from the dust. All of that stuff. You’d be my street team. My Generator for Extroverted Energy (yeah, I’m essentially a vampire who sucks your energy for my own use). But, you’d get a cool name… and maybe even get to use some of my quotes for writing prompts (if they’re small enough)… and it probably wouldn’t ask from you a ton of solid time… at least until beta-reading starts. You’d also probably get to laugh at and with me, you’d get to kick me in the rump and tell me to start writing again, cry with me (actually, it would be you crying while I stare blankly at a wall), and you’d hopefully get to be some of my first readers of the finished product. Because if we (you and me) last that long… there will be rewards to hand out.

BUT! Let’s not get too far ahead.

So, if you’re willing to join me… just leave a comment here and let me know. If you can’t do Facebook, and still want to let me know… because if I get enough people who can’t use FB, I think I can create a website purely for this purpose.

Have a great day, and thank you for your time, whether it is only in reading this, whether you join me… or even and especially if you’re just a writer. That simple writer, maybe artist. Proclaim God’s word, His Truth, and you are blessed.

To which I say, God bless you in your work.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Buddy J..

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith I am afraid I have neither this aforementioned strange entity of faces, nor that fantasy called time. 😉

I hope you find some support though!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

*had to read through his entire post before understanding what she meant by “entity of faces”* 😂😂😂

Ah, yes. I understandeth. The entity is in many ways the least of helpful. And time itself… it is a strange thing. *nods* Thank you. I too hope some find me here, languishing in a pit of mud and words struggling to find shape.

Actually, to any of you watching, wondering if you want to give me your support, I am capable here. It’s not like I’ve gotten no where. I have two drafts behind me, have been known to write many many thousand words in a day, week, and month. Thus, my plea is one asking for mere ears and voices to help me on my journey.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Sorry that was my inner poet surfacing. *pats it’s head and stuffs it back into its box*

*pulls out pom-poms*

gooooOOOO BUDDY

GO GO GO

YOU GOT THIS

GO KICK THAT THIRD DRAFT INTO SUBMISSION

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

*blinks…* Um… thank you? Did you suddenly turn into a really intense cheer leader?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@wordsmith Just trying to get all my support in at one time, so I can check it off the list. 😉

Seriously though, you know where I am if you ever need anything specific. *salutes*

*puts pom-poms away and pulls back out the half-written speech*

Ta-ta for now!

*vanishes into the mist*

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn

Thank you. 😊 I appreciate it. And yes, I do know where you are. *nods thoughtfully* Go write the other half of your speech.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

AH! Street team is not the right term. *smiles innocently* Hmm… I’ll need to think of something else.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

Okay… Maybe before asking you to join me on an adventure, we could meet up at the Green Dragon, and have a conference. Get to know each other a little, maybe throw around some snippets and characters… maybe even pull out a little debate. And it can happen right here.

I’ll start by leaving a snippet of a another WIP (not mentioned above), and you can read it… maybe comment on it. Then share something of your own. We’ll just go back and forth like this until the sun swallows us all, or the sea rises to pull us away.

Join the chaos:

“Go,” Keith whispered as he drew another arrow and nocked it, running toward the next shadow. But things did not go as planned. Somehow the training of these solider paid off, and their crossbows unleashed a hail of bolts as a horn sounded and shouts filled the air. Wood threw splinters and cobbles shattered shafts as Keith ducked behind and building a pressed his back against another side, breathing in and out deeply. Idiot, he said to himself.

Keith gritted his teeth and spun out of hiding after the first wave of bolts quieted. His bow sang two lines, loosing the same number of arrows before he slid to his knees behind a wagon. Three bolts clattered just behind him, and two bodies slumped to the wall. Come on, Youngest. Get it done. His breath wanted to come faster, but the young archer held it back. Control. Keep control. He drew another arrow, and somehow it found the string. Just this one, then get back down.

The boy shot up, loosed the arrow, then dropped to the ground. But his mind traced the path of the shaft. It thunked, the body fell, and all was silent. Then, a low whistle. And a higher one. Keith slipped from behind the wagon and stood up. His bow was ready, and his hand ready to draw, but his eyes flicked from silent body to silent body, and the fletched shafts held still by them. Silent shadows slipped over the short wall. Shadows with hoods, scarves, quivers, and longbows.

Keith broke into a trot toward a place where one of his stouter lads stood at the bottom, hoisting others up.”

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

Hey, @wordsmith! I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Ariella, as you can probably tell. *squints at nametag* Unfortunately I don’t have Facebook either, but reading your introduction paragraph made me want to be a part of whatever is going on here. 😛 Here’s my resume: INFJ (meaning I make extroverted energy for other people to use), illustrator, writer (of course), perfectionist (especially when it comes to my writing), and book enthusiast.

Reading your snippet, I am finding myself liking the writing style and description. I feel the action. The only thing I’m confused about is where exactly Keith is. I know he is fighting soldiers in a town, but I have no real sense of the setting and what is around him. I assume that question would be answered if I read more of the chapter, but just reading the snippet I was confused. Also, I noticed a couple small grammatical errors, but they’re easily fixed.

So…I share something of my own now? Hm.

Zillah kept careful watch as she prowled through the night. Everywhere in the darkness, sentries might lurk. She could almost feel their eyes following her every movement. Her leather clothing was dark, but the pale skin of her exposed arms and face was easy to spot, like the wings of a white dove. But she would not be one of those tame creatures. She was the Raven of Nevarell, the daughter of a bandit king. A raven was a scavenger, a harbinger of calamity, and not much of a singer. It fit Zillah perfectly.

She kept under the eaves of the common house, making her way to the kitchen. As she slunk through the open doorway of the room with the big fireplace, she paused. A few bandits were asleep around the glowing coals. To Zillah’s dismay, one lone bandit was still awake, and that lone bandit was none other than Jax Stormkill. His head was bowed over a long, thin dagger—a poniard—that he sharpened steadily. It was much like the pin knives Zillah kept in her boots, though with a longer handle.

Perhaps she could slip past him, if she was silent enough. She drifted across the room, watching Jax out of the corner of her eye. He didn’t look up. She made it safely through the other door, but paused in the hallway to see if Jax would follow. A faint vibration in the ground alerted her to his footsteps. Oh, snakewillows.

Fantasy writer, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@ariella-newheart, hey there! What a beautiful name. And it’s a pleasure to meet you (truly). Your resume fits perfectly, and I simply love where you mentioned INFJ meaning ‘one who makes extroverted energy for others to use’ (paraphrased). You might say ENTJ means ‘one who utilizes any and all energy around him’… which can mean turning it and shooting it into other people. *laughs at the thought*

Your snippet, your shared inkling of your story bears a fun intrigue. Or should I say, bares a fun intrigue. I see an interesting character building, especially in Jax. The mysterium surrounding him, his dagger, the fact that he’s awake… might you by any chance be a plotter? I’m also interested to see how you set up her exposure, and though I’m a bit confused about whether or not they did actually see her, you used a tactic that fits within a stereotype… if I may be so bold as to apply it.

I was reading an article written by Maddie Morrow about portraying the opposite gender in storytelling (https://storyembers.org/five-methods-that-help-writers-portray-the-opposite-gender/). One thing she mentioned is the stereotypical way that men and women process what they see. Here’s what she said:  _”…For instance, I’ve observed that men notice shapes while women notice color.”_

Now… I’m going to add (and this is something Maddie said, if in slightly different words) that I think one of the most interesting things that can be done is throwing off a stereotype… if it’s done correctly.

BUT! If you look at our texts, they are different. Yours looks at what is put out by the setting (its color), mine looks at what is happening with the setting (its shape). We see the woman (you) writing about the feel of the environment itself, what is there in a more abstracted sense (which correlates with women tending to write more emotionally driven work), but I (the man) write something that looks at the concretion of what’s happening.

This seems to create an effect that might seem contrary to design. I think when the man writes (specifically in this case), he’s writing to actually fill the setting with whatever is going on, where the woman sets it up to be internalized by the character and be seen in the character.

Now, this might be particular to your snippet vs mine, but I bet we’d see it actually working and correlating a large degree with other works.

Thank you for your comments… style is something I enjoy playing with, so it pleases me that you noticed. 🙂

And if you’d like to point out those grammar errors, I’d love to hear them.

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@wordsmith Yeah, I call myself an extroverted introvert. I can pass for extroverted if I try hard enough. 😛

A plotter? I suppose I would consider myself a plotter. I like weaving conspiracies and intrigue into my books to keep the readers on their toes. 😉

Oh yeah! I remember reading that article! Your application of that concept is intriguing. Now that I think about it, male writers are generally better at describing fighting/action scenes. That is something I always notice about their work.

You’re definitely right about the “color” aspect. I like to focus on what the character is feeling/experiencing as a way of connecting the readers to her.

Something I noticed recently was that I find it easier to write in first person than third because it’s a more familiar point of view. What about you? Do you find it easier to write one POV over another?

And if you’d like to point out those grammar errors, I’d love to hear them.

I’m so sorry, I mistyped. They’re more like typos. *sheepish smile* Here is what I noticed:

Somehow the training of these solider paid off

“Soldiers”

Wood threw splinters and cobbles shattered shafts as Keith ducked behind and building a pressed his back against another side, breathing in and out deeply. 

“as Keith ducked behind a building and” (Just as a side note, I really like the imagery in this sentence. I never would have thought of wood throwing splinters and cobbles shattering shafts. *double thumbs up*)

Fantasy writer, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@ariella-newheart

Thank you for your comment about my description. I appreciate that. And to all your comments… the validation and help with typoes.

You mention yourself being an extroverted introvert, and I just want to send a little comfort your ways saying that we do need introverts. And in addition, extroversion and introversion aren’t how social a person is but how he or she gathers energy. And I find that some of the people I gather the most energy from are introverts. Extroverts can just be too needy *says the pot calling the other pot black*. But there’s no pressure to be extroverted. That might be strange for me to say… but I say it because I saw lots of introverts go through a time where they felt an amassed pressure to say they were extroverted… when really they were just social creatures like all humans.

All that to say… we need those extroverted introverts to give us energy to use. 🙂

Now… back to writing. I prefer third person, either a relaxed limited or even omniscient… which proves to be difficult to use, but beautiful all the same. I have used first person, but find it a bit cliquish for how I like to write… to a large extent. The third is a more comfortable platform. BUT! as we talked about earlier, I prefer looking at how things are built, and thus building perspective… not starting with the perspective in the air.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

And I find that some of the people I gather the most energy from are introverts. Extroverts can just be too needy *says the pot calling the other pot black*.

Hmmm… I feel like this needs some clarification… but I can’t think of good clarification… so until someone comes by and says something to help me clarify it I’m going to retract it.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@wordsmith I love reading and seeing anything you do…not sure if FB is gonna work though.

Cool conversation you guys have going.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest