A Question of Timing and Hyphens

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions A Question of Timing and Hyphens

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Hey, Emberlings! I have a question for y’all punctuation peeps. 😉

So, in one of my fan-fiction WIPs off of the How to Train Your Dragon series (any fans in the house? *raises hand*), my MC is judging the time by the sun, since they didn’t have clocks back then, during the Nordic/Viking time period. The time is 1:30. I’d rather not mention it as “1:30,” because in books I tend to like it better spelled out. So, does anyone know if you use a dash/hyphen, like “one-thirty,” or do you spell it like “one thirty?” Thanks! 😀

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by A.N. Parker.

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by The Fledgling Artist

Chalice
      @chalice

@bigideaskc, *raises hand* I love the first HTTYD movie but did not like the 2nd or 3rd ones as much. *lowers hand* So I don’t know if I count as a fan.

As for your question, here’s something I found online that was helpful:

Reserve hyphens for the naturally hyphenated cardinal number:

eight forty-five; five fifteen; three thirty

But add a hyphen when the time of day precedes and modifies a noun, unless part of the expression is already hyphenated:

three-thirty train; eight forty-five appointment

So, it would be just one thirty, without the hyphen. 🙂

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
      “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Daeus Lamb
      @daeus-lamb

@bigideaskc Perhaps half past one? I feel that makes more sense if the culture isn’t calculating by minutes.

😀
      👕👍
      👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
      @josiah

I tend to side with Daeus on this one–or perhaps even just go with “a couple hours since noon.” It depends on how accurate their sun-reading devices are.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

A.N. Parker
      @bigideaskc

*raises hand* I love the first HTTYD movie but did not like the 2nd or 3rd ones as much. *lowers hand* So I don’t know if I count as a fan.

LOL! If you love at least one movie, then you count as a fan. 😛 Welcome to the fanclub! 😝

As for your question, here’s something I found online that was helpful:

Reserve hyphens for the naturally hyphenated cardinal number: eight forty-five; five fifteen; three thirty But add a hyphen when the time of day precedes and modifies a noun, unless part of the expression is already hyphenated: three-thirty train; eight forty-five appointment

So, it would be just one thirty, without the hyphen. 🙂

Ah, that’s really helpful! Thanks so much, @chalice! 😀

Perhaps half past one? I feel that makes more sense if the culture isn’t calculating by minutes.

Ooh, yeah, that actually works very well for my story. Thank you so much, @daeus-lamb! 🙂

I tend to side with Daeus on this one–or perhaps even just go with “a couple hours since noon.” It depends on how accurate their sun-reading devices are.

Alright, thank you so much, @josiah!

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by The Fledgling Artist

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
        @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

I agree, “minutes” might not be much of a thing for cultures without clocks.  Maybe stick to vague measurements like “quarter after noon” or “a couple of hours after sunrise”.

Also, this trick might come in handy:

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

A.N. Parker
        @bigideaskc

I agree, “minutes” might not be much of a thing for cultures without clocks. Maybe stick to vague measurements like “quarter after noon” or “a couple of hours after sunrise”. Also, this trick might come in handy:

Perfect! Both of those are so amazing; thank you, @edmund-lloyd-fletcher! 😁🙏

The Writing Gremlin
          @banana-peacock-warrior

@bigideaskc: What an interesting question! LOL I think you’ve already gotten all the answers you need on here… but I’m a HTTYD fan!!!!!!!!! *raises both hands* I love Hiccup so much and LOVE his character arc throughout the trilogy- especially in the 3rd movie. Stoic’s character arc is wonderful in the 1st movie, too. And Toothless is plain adorable.😁🐉 But I get where everyone else is coming from with the 2nd and 3rd movies being not as good… I mean, even if you watch, like, every Netflix series they have it’s always a ‘bad guy mistreating dragons’ ‘bad guy wants to establish their own empire’ ‘bad guy getting annoyed because the dragon riders are always thwarting their plans’ ‘bad guy does something to Toothless to trigger the 3rd plot point of series or movie’ ‘bad guy wins a few battles’ ‘Hiccup gets stressed’ ‘dragons win’. Has anyone else noticed that? LOL HTTYD is still SOOOOOOO good, though! XD

OKAY, enough of that… but a little thing I’m gonna throw in here… Idk but this has bothered me in my own stories (which normally come from an ancient fantasy era) where I need to tell the time. In my worlds, they don’t normally even have a time system (again, idk about in the viking era because they aren’t as interesting in history lessons as in HTTYD…🤣) But I like to use, like Josiah said, more of a ‘a little past noon’ or ‘lunchtime had just passed a few hours ago’ standpoint. I just thought I’d throw that out there. 😉

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
            ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Kayla Skywriter
            @kayla-skywriter

@bigideaska

Hi. I don’t think we’ve met, but I could be wrong. I am definitely fan of HTTYD. Have you read the books?

It’s so cool that you write fanfiction, I’ve always wanted to try.

As for the actual question, I agree with the “little after noon” standpoint. But, if you’re character is checking the time because they need to see how much longer they have before dark, I would just say that there was plenty of daylight left.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

A.N. Parker
            @bigideaskc

@bigideaskc: What an interesting question! LOL I think you’ve already gotten all the answers you need on here… but I’m a HTTYD fan!!!!!!!!! *raises both hands* I love Hiccup so much and LOVE his character arc throughout the trilogy- especially in the 3rd movie. Stoic’s character arc is wonderful in the 1st movie, too. And Toothless is plain adorable.😁🐉 But I get where everyone else is coming from with the 2nd and 3rd movies being not as good… I mean, even if you watch, like, every Netflix series they have it’s always a ‘bad guy mistreating dragons’ ‘bad guy wants to establish their own empire’ ‘bad guy getting annoyed because the dragon riders are always thwarting their plans’ ‘bad guy does something to Toothless to trigger the 3rd plot point of series or movie’ ‘bad guy wins a few battles’ ‘Hiccup gets stressed’ ‘dragons win’. Has anyone else noticed that? LOL HTTYD is still SOOOOOOO good, though! XD

LOL! Yeah, there is a bit of a pattern, but I love the HTTYD series too! *high-fives you*

OKAY, enough of that… but a little thing I’m gonna throw in here… Idk but this has bothered me in my own stories (which normally come from an ancient fantasy era) where I need to tell the time. In my worlds, they don’t normally even have a time system (again, idk about in the viking era because they aren’t as interesting in history lessons as in HTTYD…🤣) But I like to use, like Josiah said, more of a ‘a little past noon’ or ‘lunchtime had just passed a few hours ago’ standpoint. I just thought I’d throw that out there. 😉

Perfect, thank you, @banana-peacock-warrior! 😀

I am definitely fan of HTTYD. Have you read the books?

No, but we just bought the first book a few days ago and I plan on reading it soon! 😀

It’s so cool that you write fanfiction, I’ve always wanted to try.

I think you’d totally rock it! 😀

As for the actual question, I agree with the “little after noon” standpoint. But, if you’re character is checking the time because they need to see how much longer they have before dark, I would just say that there was plenty of daylight left.

Makes sense, thanks SO much, @kayla-skywriter! 😊

Kayla Skywriter
              @kayla-skywriter

@bigideaskc

The books are really good. The first few are a bit weird, but the last ones are amazing.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

A.N. Parker
              @bigideaskc

The books are really good. The first few are a bit weird, but the last ones are amazing.

Ah, gotcha. Weird how, might I ask? 😄 (Also, sorry for going off-topic! But I absolutely love HTTYD! 😄🙌)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest