fb

A problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

I’ve got a problem. The kind of problem that keeps you from writing pretty much anything.

It’s that bad.

Then again, knowing me, this’ll be something so simple that I’ll feel stupid afterwards. But I highly doubt it.

Here’s my problem: I want to write, but I don’t want it to go to waste. I want to write something that glorifies God. Something that actually matters and will matter. I want to write as a form of worship. Something that’ll impact someone in the most important way possible.

But I don’t know how.

I want to be able to reach the secular world with my writing, but I don’t know how.

In other words: I have no idea how to be a Christian writer.

I feel lost, in a way.

*Forum Signature here*

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

If it makes you feel any better, I struggle with the same issues too. I don’t know if any of the answers I have to offer you will help you with where you are right now, but hopefully they’ll be good reminders at least.

First, talk to God about this. If writing is His will for your life, He’s not going to leave you alone. He’ll not only give you the wisdom to discern what is worth writing about and what is not, but He’ll also give you the strength and guidance you need to actually complete the projects you begin. He’ll make your works matter.

Second, and maybe a bit counterintuitive, don’t focus on what the secular world will think. It is only the Holy Spirit who can change a person’s heart, Christian or secular. If your work glorifies God, He can use it to impact the audience wherever they are. He’ll give the increase.

Third, I think that, because you’re asking the question, you already have the most important attribute necessary for being a Christian writer: a focus on glorifying God with everything you write and to direct your audience towards Him. As long as you’re putting Him first in your life and writing, you are indeed a Christian writer.

(As a sidenote, I don’t know how you feel about poetry, but The Valley of Vision is a collection of Puritan prayers that are very worshipful as well as beautiful pieces of literature. They’re short, elegant, and convey spiritual truth in a straightforward yet beautiful manner. They might be helpful in showing what Christian writing can look like.)

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@thewirelessblade Raulands has some great notes there.

There’s some great examples of Christian authors out there who are reaching the general market. Nadine Brandes and Sara Ella are both Christian ladies and both have books (Fawkes and the Unblemished trilogy, among others) published by Thomas Nelson publishers and therefore are in the general (secular) market.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

@daeus-lamb

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

*Forum Signature here*

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@thewirelessblade Maybe. 🙂

If you ever get the chance, I think Josiah’s Theme Mastery course will really help, but let me give some immediate tips.

For starters, read my third and fourth comments on this page: https://storyembers.org/forums/topic/an-argument-christian-stories-dont-just-happen/page/2/

Also, it helps to read loads of great Christian fiction. The best inspiration in my opinion includes, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, The Death of Ivan Ilych, The Complete Father Brown, and, my favorite, Cry The Beloved Country.

There’s more that could be said. I’m happy to help if you want to brainstorm. If you don’t know where to start, read this: https://writershelpingwriters.net/2018/02/theme-made-simple/

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest