fb

A/n INTJ, History Buff, Narnian, & Team Cap! :) ~Me

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself A/n INTJ, History Buff, Narnian, & Team Cap! :) ~Me

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

Hi everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been following SE since its genesis, but recently decided to finally join this wonderful forum due to the email from @daeus-lamb about joining a guild. I’m definitely interested in joining one to hold me more accountable on my writing progress. ๐Ÿ™‚

Here are some facts about me.

I go by PursueWisdom here, so you know how to call for me if you wish. I chose it because it reminds me of my focus here, and also that Wisdom comes from the Lord.

I’m a…
    INTJ. Redeemed Daughter of the Emperor Over the Sea (If you’ve read Narnia, you know who I mean.) Fighter for Liberty. Rebel for Justice. History Buff. Truth Seeker. Team Captain America. Narnian. 221B Ally. Preferred Weapons of Choice: Dual Swords and a Pen. I’m a dedicated saboteur for The Rightful King while in enemy-occupied territory. And I like to devour books & films that offer profound wisdom or instigate interesting ideas, or are just plain fun.

Authors: C.S. Lewis (Till We Have Faces), Anne Elisabeth Stengl (Dragonwitch), Tolkien (So far I’ve read only his “On Fairy Stories” – it’s amazing), Dostoevsky (Crime & Punishment), Orson Scott Card (Entire Ender and Ender’s Shadow Sagas), & Jane Austen

Movies: Marvel, LoTR, Narniad, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Inception (I like most of Christopher Nolan’s films), Blade Runner 2049, Minority Report, HBO’s John Adams (The one BEST series I’ve come across about the American War for Independence time period), Les Miserables (2012 Musical – I watched it three times within one week), Captain Blood (If you are into early 1900s B&W, I like Errol Flynn), BBC’s Sherlock (“Dust is eloquent”). I can’t recall the others – feel free to bring any up.

Music: Lauren Daigle – (who doesn’t like her?), Colton Dixon, Most of Top CCM (I listen to KLOVE), Enya, Moya Brennan, Audomachine, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Canon in D

Quotes:

“Wisdomโ€™s instruction is to fear the Lord, and humility comes before honor.” Proverbs 15:33, NIV

“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” ~ James 1.5

“Wisdom makes one wise person more powerful than ten rulers in a city.” ~ Ecclesiastes 7:19

“Don’t bother much about your feelings. When they are humble, loving, brave, give thanks for them: when they are conceited, selfish, cowardly, ask to have them altered. In neither case are they you, but only a thing that happens to you. What matters is your intentions and your behaviour. ” ~C.S. Lewis, in a letter to Miss Sonia Graham

“You have never talked to a mere mortal.” ~ย Lewis in The Weight of Glory

“There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world.”ย  ~ Orson Scott Card

Random fact: I struggle with pride, procrastination, and Agape.

Anyway, I can’t wait to participate more in this forum and get to know you all! If you have any questions/comments regarding my mini-bio (which I’m sure is quite incomplete), please do share! ๐Ÿ™‚

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@pursuewisdom

Dude! Er, dudette. Nice to meet you! I also am an INTJ who loves Narnia, Team Cap, Sherlock, history, Jane Austen, Christopher Nolan, Marvel (<3), and C.S. Lewis. *shakes hand* We should get along just fine.

Anyway, what’s your favorite type of writing (poems, short stories, novels, etc.), or what genre?

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

I, David
    @i-david

@pursuewisdom I second @hgm_barnes18; Inception, Sherlock, and Team Cap? Perfect.

Is there a specific guild you’re interested in joining?

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@hgm_barnes18

๐Ÿ˜€ Same here!! *shakes hand back and offers cup of virtual mocha (if you like mocha)*

Oh – yes, I did forget to mention that didn’t I? Well, I usually like to read books/novels and poetry if it’s really good. Just anything that’s profound really. In terms of my own writing, I tend to favor sci-fi, (high) fantasy – I guess you can say just speculative. The current WIP I’m focusing on is about a group of scientists and politicians working to prove to a futuristic/dystopian earth that human clones – who are being used medically to increase the life spans of natural born humans – possess unique souls and personality, thus deserve the right to life and liberty. I’m a novice-intermediate writer, so I’ve been studying the craft for a while but haven’t actually written a complete book yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

@i-david

๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!! So glad to see you two (and others I’m sure) in the same Team!

TBH, I’m not sure yet. I’ve read about all of the guilds’ respective backgrounds/members/etc, and they all look interesting. Would I have a choice? I didn’t think so… I guess I’ll take whichever one they put me into ๐Ÿ˜›

Are you in a guild yet? If so, what makes your guild “great” ;)? And if not, which one do you currently favor?

So much tribalism. xD

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@pursuewisdom

Wow, ‘anything profound’ is definitely a good reading choice.

I actually like to write the same types of fiction myself! I lean towards dystopias a lot, but really anything speculative.

Your WIP sounds very epic. Mine is also a futuristic thing and seems to involve some of the same elements of what makes humans, well, human.

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@hgm_barnes18

๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks. Actually I find that it’s hard to find something really “profound.” A lot of the “popular” books today (in Christian and secular markets) tend to be rather… I’m not certain what to call it – shallow? Cheesy? That’s why I’m here – to learn how to avoid being that way. Currently I’m reading the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card and I can say that for a book in the secular market it is impressive for its takes on ethical dilemmas. I also *loved* Ender because I found that we two think alike so often it’s weird. Not sure if you’ve read it, but def. a recommend.

Really?! That’s great! Would you mind going into a bit more details? (i.e. Do you have a blurb made out for it yet?) I’d love to read it. Mine was inspired a lot by the story premise and moral points of Blade Runner 2049ย – it was a really profound film that actually explored what you just mentioned – about what makes us human… and I want to create a story with such strength and beauty – without the content issues I had trouble with in the film.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@hgm_barnes18

I forgot to ask: do you have a favorite history period/location? Or do you just like history in general ๐Ÿ™‚

Tania
    @write-owl

@pursuewisdom

Hiiiii! *sticks out hand* I’m brand-new here and the email about the guilds was also what got me to join ๐Ÿ˜›

Aha, another INTJ. My best friend is one … we think. We’re pretty sure. She’s a bit of an enigma haha. And I’m also Team Cap ๐Ÿ˜€

I loooveย Till We Have Faces! It kinda tore me apart, honestly. But I loved it haha. Oh, and HBO’sย John Adams. My family has that on DVD, but I wasn’t allowed to watch it. Now that I’m older, I probably can. I always loved acting dramatic in my room where I could hear the theme song playing from the next room where my parents were watching XD

Welcome once again!

High-key stereotypical ENFP-T

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@pursuewisdom

Very true. The current state of fiction, especially for young adults, is very disappointing. It’s hard to find good books anymore on library shelves. :/

I haven’t read the Ender saga yet, but it’s actually on my list. ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t have a blurb, exactly… it’s kind of a novel I’m going to attempt to begin during NaNoWriMo, based off of a seven-part short story I wrote this summer. ๐Ÿ™‚ All I can think of to say is it involves ghosts and the end of the world.

Blade Runner 2049 is one I’ve been wanting to see, for sure.

As for history, I really love the time of the Russian Czars (especially towards the end of that era), and then Ancient Roman/Egyptian/Greek is always interesting (lots of great historical fiction on that). But my absolute favorite is probably the 20’s-40’s; before and through the Great Depression and WWII. What about you?

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@hgm_barnes18

Wow! Best of wishes to your NNWM! A seven part short story sounds amazing โ€“ Iโ€™ve never even written one yet ๐Ÿ˜› What writing level are you in?

Yes, I do recommend Blade Runner 2049 if you like such stories. There are some content issues, unfortunately, but I found it overall to be worth the watch (perhaps you can use a filterโ€ฆ or just plain old wise discretion like I did). I completely fell in love with the arc of the main character K, and the surprises the plot threw me through were all well done. (If youโ€™re interested, I found these two articles to be very well written about the film: Paul Asay is a reviewer for PluggedIn.com of Focus On the Family,ย https://www.patheos.com/blogs/watchinggod/2017/10/getting-blade-runner-2049s-soul-without-getting-spoilers/ย ย  and WORLD: https://world.wng.org/2017/10/thirty_years_later) If you do watch it sometime, Iโ€™d love to know your thoughts on it.

Alright. Enough gushing about my fav. Film. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Interesting! I love the Ancient times as well โ€“ Greek and Biblical history specifically. I studied some Russian history during AP Euro History, but never really read more on it โ€“ do you have any recommends for the period? I do like Dostoevsky & Tolstoy, but they are not really czar history era material (War & Peace kind of counts. Maybe ๐Ÿ™‚ My favorite is the American Founding period โ€“ Iโ€™m a huge Thomas Jefferson fan. When I took my AP US History course, I wasnโ€™t very thrilled with the WWI&II period and afterwards unfortunately, mostly because of my strong disagreement with Woodrow Wilson and FDR and their political ideologies and the postwar godlessness attitude in general, but I did like reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have some go-to biographers/historians or hist-fic authors that you think I should add to my read list? (Do you use Goodreads?)

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@write-owl

Go Newbies! We should make a club against the vets here. xD Which guild are you interested in entering?

Enigma is an understatement. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Same here about Till We Have Faces! I first read it when I was in my mid teens and I didn’t understand it at all until I found another INTJ online who was in a history class with me who was able to explain it to me. Last year I gotย https://www.amazon.com/dp/1544680880/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_sims_2 which does a great job summarizing with a little commentary on it – she also included related Bible verses which I found helpful. I also found this book which is supposed to be a really well-done analysis on Lewis and TWHF recently and plan on reading it soon to help me dig deeper:ย https://www.amazon.com/Reason-Imagination-C-S-Lewis/dp/0802819982/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526764664&sr=1-1&keywords=a+study+of+till+we+have+faces#reader_0802819982 It def. a work that deserves to be read more than once. ๐Ÿ™‚

Whoโ€™s your fav. Character in TWHF?

John Adams is wonderful โ€“ every American should watch it to understand history and Founding values. Iโ€™ve never came across a better film about the subject, and Iโ€™ve done quite a bit of digging. Some content issues, though, so discretion is needed. Iโ€™ve read the bio for which it was based off of and David McCullough did a great job as well (easy to read, mostly not boring, thorough).

I totally understand your acting when listening to movie music from another roomโ€ฆ.. done the same thingโ€ฆ Iโ€™d talk to characters, or pretend I was one and then another to try to come up with good dialogue (sometimes Iโ€™d fangirl, tbh). Writers are weird. ๐Ÿ˜€ So glad weโ€™ve found this place, right?

Thank you for your warm welcome!! Now I need to head over to find your intro thread ๐Ÿ™‚

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@pursuewisdom

TEAM CAP ALL THE WAY!

*coughs*

Sorry I got a little excited there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hey and welcome to Story Embers. I was reading your posts and was thinking how many things we have in common! I listen to Enya and I love history. Marvel is amazing! Inception is epic! Les Mis the musical is one of my favorite movies, and BBC’s Sherlock is my favorite TV show – it’s so awesome! And I’m actually going through John Adams right now and really enjoying it!!

What’s your favorite person in history to study? What about time era?

Anyways, welcome to Story Embers! ๐Ÿ™‚

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@evelyn

๐Ÿ˜€ Same here!! It’s sad that Capt. America is hanging up his shield after the second part of Avengers Infinity War, isn’t it? I’m sure going to miss him.

Thank you for the welcome. My favorite historical figures include Thomas Jefferson, Joan of Arc, and C.S. Lewis. TJ because of his political ideas (author of the Declaration of Independence) and his controversial character; Joan because, well, she’s Joan of Arc – how many teens in history have led entire armies to victory for God?; and Lewis because he’s an INTJ ๐Ÿ™‚ and creator of Narnia and Orual and a bunch of fantastic apologetic books. Fav. time era would have to be the American Founding era as well as Scottish history (esp. during the William Wallace time – Go Braveheart!).

Who/when do you like to study for history?

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@evelyn

I was also going to say that like minds think alike, and like minds also enjoy the same films ๐Ÿ™‚ Those are def. some of the best there are. Glad to have found you.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Same here!! Itโ€™s sad that Capt. America is hanging up his shield after the second part of Avengers Infinity War, isnโ€™t it? Iโ€™m sure going to miss him.

He’s doing what?!?! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

That’s sad. But you know, at least they know accept that their characters can’t go on forever and they know when it’s time to stop… but still… *cries*

I really like to study the early American history. It’s so fascinating!

I was also going to say that like minds think alike, and like minds also enjoy the same films Those are def. some of the best there are. Glad to have found you.

Same! I love that I’ve been able to meet so many amazing people here. Speaking of which… are you joining a guild? If so… Parimi Alca’s the way to go!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

What’s your favorite C.S. Lewis book?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest